106 replies to this topic

#31 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:20 AM

The model I got is a cheap thin plastic form that holds a heavy metal cylinder filled with gas and a screw in bottle that is filled with water then carbonated. It is hard to see where the product is worth $100. I looked at all the literature that came with the unit, and there are no instructions on how to insert the pressurized steel container. The top of the cylinder is covered with a tape. There are no indications that the tape is to be removed or left in place. Intuitively, it seems I should remove the tape and screw the container into the back where a valve is place to release the gas into the water bottle. But this is just a guess.

I have to say that, even it it does produce good seltzer, I feel that the unit, as priced, is a rip off. When the cylinder is empty, I must arrange to get it recharged, exchange it for a charged one (similar to a propane tank for a BBQ grill), or send it back to Soda whatever for a recharged one. Hard to see how this is going to be a better alternative to buying bottles of Vintage Seltzer.

'I am inclined to pack the whole thing up and send it back. I might just do that. But if I test it first, I am stuck with it.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#32 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:58 AM

Because you will be able to get a more highly carbonated glass of seltzer, for one thing. And it won't go flat because you'll only make what you want to drink. And you won't be creating bottles and bottles of wasted plastic for the landfill anymore.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#33 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE(omnivorette @ Jul 15 2008, 04:58 AM) View Post
Because you will be able to get a more highly carbonated glass of seltzer, for one thing. And it won't go flat because you'll only make what you want to drink. And you won't be creating bottles and bottles of wasted plastic for the landfill anymore.

Ding! That's it for me, anyway.

Sure, it's pricey – it's all about their proprietary CO2 bottles. But...what's the alternative? Thunk, mine came with a quick-start guide – yours didn't?

#34 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

In theory. That's why I bought it. But it still is a flimsy plastic housing with very little technology for $100.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

#35 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(GG Mora @ Jul 15 2008, 07:22 AM) View Post

Ding! That's it for me, anyway.

Sure, it's pricey – it's all about their proprietary CO2 bottles. But...what's the alternative? Thunk, mine came with a quick-start guide – yours didn't?

My quick start guide is all about how to fill the water bottle and gas it up. There are no instructions for how to insert the gas cylinder, which is a pretty crucial part of the operation. Did yours have that instruction?

OOPS. I should have read the booklet more carefully. It does have instructions on how to insert the cylinder. I'll give it a go/

#36 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

Made the first two bottles of seltzer. Excellent result! Did max. carbonation and got a product that is superior to the bottled stuff. So despite the plastic housing, the device delivers a good product. We'll see how it settles into the HH routine.

#37 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

Anyone else actually using theirs?
Mine hasn't arrived.

Thunk, do you think you'll keep it?

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#38 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

Yes. I think the product (seltzer) seems to be good. I like the idea of having a constant supply on hand without having to store a dozen bottles here and there. I may buy one for my daughter whose family consume gallons of seltzer.

#39 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,781 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE(Melonious Thunk @ Jul 15 2008, 10:13 AM) View Post
Made the first two bottles of seltzer. Excellent result! Did max. carbonation and got a product that is superior to the bottled stuff. So despite the plastic housing, the device delivers a good product. We'll see how it settles into the HH routine.

It works, and it lasts. My parents have had one for about 15 years.

I think the pricing is simply calculated such that the price of a bottle of soda is about 50% of what it'd cost you at the shop. It has nothing to do with the cost of putting together some plastic pieces.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#40 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:01 PM

A discussion of this on Serious Eats. I need one of these!
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#41 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

We love ours so far! We used it heavily for 5 days in a row upstate. Our best result is using refrigerated cold water (from the tap), and then carbonating a bottle just before drinking. We like a heavy fizz and it's easily accomplished. Whatever is leftover in the bottle is fairly flat by morning. Best result is drinking it right away. The seltzer packs a wallop! Great find.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#42 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE(omnivorette @ Jul 29 2008, 07:01 AM) View Post
We love ours so far! We used it heavily for 5 days in a row upstate. Our best result is using refrigerated cold water (from the tap), and then carbonating a bottle just before drinking. We like a heavy fizz and it's easily accomplished. Whatever is leftover in the bottle is fairly flat by morning. Best result is drinking it right away. The seltzer packs a wallop! Great find.

I agree! I gave mine to my daughter. Actually, Hannah is completely smitten with it. She loves the idea of making her own seltzer. Lisa said last night, "I can't believe we don't have to buy seltzer anymore. It was such a big part of our shopping. Do we need seltzer? We just ran out?" Hannah loves very fizzy seltzer and she must drink two quarts a day at least. We'll keep ours at the lake house. That is where we seem to run out all the time.

I ordered the two capsule deal in white to replace the one I gave them. Yes, great find!!

#43 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:35 PM

I've been meaning to post as well.
It's basically solid and the refillable plastic bottles are stronger than commercial soda bottles.
I haven't had any trouble with losing fizz. It seems about the same until I'm done. I actually prefer a slightly lower fizz, like Pelligrino.
I made the mistake of making one of the flavored sodas. What a mistake! So vile! And such a waste of energy, money and packaging.
My only hesitation is the cost of sending the bottles back and forth. We'll see!

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#44 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,781 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Jul 29 2008, 10:35 AM) View Post
My only hesitation is the cost of sending the bottles back and forth. We'll see!

If you don't mind Joan risking a finger or two, you can refill them. I think the instructions were already posted above.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#45 jsh

jsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:32 PM

Thanks to the good experiences reported on this thread, I just gave one of these to my husband for his birthday. Great gift.

In case you were wondering, he immediately ignored the instructions to only carbonate plain water and carbonated some home-made lemonade - which apparently made a tiny bit of an exploding mess (I wasn't there to see so I'm not sure how accurate the "tiny" part is laugh.gif ). Next time, we will be carbonating water, then adding the lemon juice and simple syrup.

The fizzy lemonade is great though. Even better with a little bit of ginger liqueur or home-made beet-infused vodka. I think many other things will be tried with fizzy lemonade in the days to come . . .
"'Conquer your passions, boys, and don't be eager after vittles.' As he uttered this moral precept, Mr. Squeers took a large bite out of the cold beef." - Dickens Nicholas Nickleby