#46 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE(jsh @ Jul 29 2008, 06:32 PM) View Post
Thanks to the good experiences reported on this thread, I just gave one of these to my husband for his birthday. Great gift.

In case you were wondering, he immediately ignored the instructions to only carbonate plain water and carbonated some home-made lemonade - which apparently made a tiny bit of an exploding mess (I wasn't there to see so I'm not sure how accurate the "tiny" part is laugh.gif ). Next time, we will be carbonating water, then adding the lemon juice and simple syrup.

The fizzy lemonade is great though. Even better with a little bit of ginger liqueur or home-made beet-infused vodka. I think many other things will be tried with fizzy lemonade in the days to come . . .

Beet-infused vodka? Do tell.
Future Legacy Participant.

#47 jsh

jsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(bloviatrix @ Jul 29 2008, 09:19 PM) View Post
Beet-infused vodka? Do tell.

Peel and slice beets.

Put beets in vodka.

Put in fridge.

Wait 3-4 days.

Remove beets. Strain vodka mixture. His first time making it (inspired by a golden-beet infused vodka he has several years ago at Blue Hill Stone Barns) - he used about a medium beet in about half a liter of vodka. Not sure if those proportions might adjust in the future.

Add simple syrup to taste if drinking straight. We were surprised, considering both how sweet beets are and that we're not very fond of sweet drinks, that we'd want any simple syrup, but it really needs that extra note.

I'm actually not super-fond of it straight, even though I love beets, but it's an interesting mixer. We also tried it in a drink with ginger beer which was nice.
"'Conquer your passions, boys, and don't be eager after vittles.' As he uttered this moral precept, Mr. Squeers took a large bite out of the cold beef." - Dickens Nicholas Nickleby

#48 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:43 PM

The starter kit is on sale for $79.99. I think I'll buy one for my sister.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#49 GalPalJoan

GalPalJoan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE(Orik @ Jul 29 2008, 07:42 AM) View Post
QUOTE(rancho_gordo @ Jul 29 2008, 10:35 AM) View Post
My only hesitation is the cost of sending the bottles back and forth. We'll see!

If you don't mind Joan risking a finger or two, you can refill them. I think the instructions were already posted above.

Huh. No more beans for you!
Thursday: This morning, I say to my wife and my girls, the waffles we face are real. They will not go away. Cornmeal waffles, buckwheat waffles, pumpkin waffles, chicken'n'waffles. The waffles we face are serious and manifold.

I have been remembering this man with some real vigor over the past couple of days. He was a miserable stinker, although now that he has gone on to his reward I can't say what I really thought of him. But if I'm any judge of these things, I'll bet he's hotter than Squeat Mungry. DebVanD

"Generosity, that was my first mistake. I leave these people a little bit extra and they hire these men to make trouble."

"They've got you wrong. You're not a coward. STUPID, maybe. But not a coward."

#50 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,825 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

someone should buy me one of these as a gift. please to pm for the mailing address and my color choice

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#51 GalPalJoan

GalPalJoan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Jul 31 2008, 10:02 AM) View Post
someone should buy me one of these as a gift. please to pm for the mailing address and my color choice

Could you at least have the decency to wait until after midnight when your Admin status kicks in to start soliciting the bribes???
Thursday: This morning, I say to my wife and my girls, the waffles we face are real. They will not go away. Cornmeal waffles, buckwheat waffles, pumpkin waffles, chicken'n'waffles. The waffles we face are serious and manifold.

I have been remembering this man with some real vigor over the past couple of days. He was a miserable stinker, although now that he has gone on to his reward I can't say what I really thought of him. But if I'm any judge of these things, I'll bet he's hotter than Squeat Mungry. DebVanD

"Generosity, that was my first mistake. I leave these people a little bit extra and they hire these men to make trouble."

"They've got you wrong. You're not a coward. STUPID, maybe. But not a coward."

#52 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,825 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(GalPalJoan @ Jul 31 2008, 03:42 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Jul 31 2008, 10:02 AM) View Post

Could you at least have the decency to wait until after midnight when your Admin status kicks in to start soliciting the bribes???

that was a request for love offerings. bribes will be much more expensive.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#53 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:25 AM

Email just received:

Dear Soda-Club Customer,

Thank you for your recent order from Sodaclub.com!

You may have seen us recently in the news - on Good Morning America, or in USA Weekend, or New York Magazine, or somewhere else (check out recent 'in the news' articles at http://www.sodaclubusa.com/news.htm)

This unprecedented media coverage, combined with a delayed container shipment, has led to a slow-down in order shipments. All orders have now processed through our system and are in transit, so you should have your package in the next few days, if you haven't already received it.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this delay has caused. If you have questions or concerns about your order, please feel free to contact Customer Support via e-mail at support@sodaclub.com, or by calling one of our representatives at 1-800-SODACLUB - now available 24 hours a day!

Happy Fizzing,
Soda-Club Customer Support

"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#54 rancho_gordo

rancho_gordo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:59 PM

1/2 jamaica (sweetened hibiscus water) and 1/2 club soda. Summer perfection.

"Gay people exist. There's nothing we can do in public policy that makes more of us exist, or less of us exist. And you guys have been arguing for a generation that public policy ought to essentially demean gay people as a way of expressing disapproval of the fact that we exist, but you don't make any less of us exist. You just are arguing in favor of more discrimination, and more discrimination doesn't make straight people's lives any better." -Rachel Maddow to Jim DeMint and Ralph Reed

#55 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

GG and others, are you still happy with this stuff? i'm planning to get one.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#56 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

Hmm, interesting. My parents have a soda siphon that they never use any more. I asked them a few days ago to bring it out the next time they visit, as I do enjoy the fizzy water.

What's the advantage of the Soda Club system over an ISI siphon? I guess you can control the amount of carbonation, which is neat. But on the other hand, you have to use their proprietary canisters. Do you have to return the canisters, too? I'm not clear on this part.
Andrew Fenton

#57 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

I'm still quite pleased with it, and we still use it very day.

To answer your question, Andrew, yes you have to return the canisters, but not until you've received the replacements. I got 3 canisters as part of original order. When I installed the last of the 3, I went online and ordered 2 replacement canisters. The shipment (of the replacement canisters) includes a return shipping box and labels (for 2 canisters). So I have a revolving system. If you're organized about it, it works just fine.

#58 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

WOO HOO, I just ordered mine: there was a $70 discount on the $189 model. I am so excited to put an end to my plastic bottle buying.

Thanks, GG for this thread.

#59 jsh

jsh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

I bought one last July for my husband and we still love it! Lots of homemade sodas without using their mixes, too, of course, by making our own concentrated syrups to add to the seltzer water. Or, by adding seltzer water to something else (this week, we've been drinking slightly fizzy home-made lemonade to try to make summer come faster).

We don't go through that much seltzer, though, so we haven't yet had to get new canisters.
"'Conquer your passions, boys, and don't be eager after vittles.' As he uttered this moral precept, Mr. Squeers took a large bite out of the cold beef." - Dickens Nicholas Nickleby

#60 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

I love mine. LOVE it. Love the sturdy bottles (FOUR!) and love the extra fizzy of the fourth shot of gas into the water.

The soda flavors look gackamous, but I did try the diet grapefruit one because I love grapefruit fizzy stuff. I couldn't get past the fake sweetener, though, but the grapefruit flavor was refreshing.

Are other people adding things to your bottles?

I'm drinking fizz, night and day. Oh so happy, and grateful to GG for the recommendation.