• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JasonTrue

JasonTrue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:15 AM

I hear Volterra doesn't do the mushroom eggs benedict anymore. Any spectacular alternatives around town?

I wasn't thrilled with the overcooked eggs in the semi-Benedict themed dish I had at the S. Lk. Union location of Portage Bay Cafe. I do like 35th St Bistro, but not sure I want to brave that even with a reservation.
Jason Truesdell
Importer and Sales Broker for nifty Asian things
Blog: Pursuing My Passions
YuzuMura.com: Pan-Pacific Lifestyle goods

#2 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:26 PM

Have you been to the 35th since the chef change? If so, how is it? I was disappointed to see how drastially they changed their menu--they used to have a really good variety, now it's more like any other breakfast/brunch place.

#3 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

I've heard really good things about the brunch at Serafina.

And there's Veil.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#4 KRamsey

KRamsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

Isn't there a Rocky thread devoted to eggs Benedict?

#5 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:42 PM

There's a Breakfast and Brunch thread as well as the Eggs Benedict Crawl thread.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#6 JasonTrue

JasonTrue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

Thus my dilemma... my favorite spots seem to have changed a bit. I came here after re-stumbling on that eggs benedict thread. Veil sounds like a good idea; do they do a benedict-like dish?
Jason Truesdell

#7 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE(JasonTrue @ Jul 15 2008, 02:20 PM) View Post
Veil sounds like a good idea; do they do a benedict-like dish?

There's some good sounding egg dishes but I don't see any thing benedict-like. Click here for their web site.

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#8 JasonTrue

JasonTrue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:57 PM

I've spent some time on the phone with them and they say the "often" have one on their specials list, but not on the standard menu. They also said they can always poach eggs and do some sort of riff on the idea, so that works for me.

Veil it is!

I've got a friend leaving Seattle on Monday, and my wife finally made it to Seattle today after about 7 months of being apart, so, I'm hoping it'll be memorable. My first dinner at Veil was just in the "good" category, though the kitchen did some nice stuff with some fresh yuzu I brought in; since then, I've had fun in the lounge once or twice, and pretty nice small plates.
Jason Truesdell

#9 SeAAttle

SeAAttle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE(christy @ Jul 15 2008, 09:26 AM) View Post
Have you been to the 35th since the chef change? If so, how is it? I was disappointed to see how drastially they changed their menu--they used to have a really good variety, now it's more like any other breakfast/brunch place.

We noticed a change in the eggs benedict at 35th Street but that was quite some time ago. Have not been in the last several months.

As mentioned on another thread, Waterfront Grill has a New Orleans style Sunday brunch, including Eggs Benedict and several other NOLA egg dishes that are quite tasty.

#10 JasonTrue

JasonTrue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:43 AM

Veil definitely had two benedicts on the menu when we came (the standard ham and a smoked salmon variant), and is likely amenable to other variations, e.g. for vegetarians. They did a riff on the standard muffin, using some sort of potato-based biscuit. Eggs were suitably gooey. The sauce was medium-thick and fairly assertive and lemony. (My own tends to be lemony, so I'm quite fine with that).

I had a lavender brioche french toast, which was very nice. Someone else ordered a crab omelet, which was also well-received.

Prices are a bit higher than standard-issue brunch spots, but the attention to detail was also much better. No brown on that omelet (which is to say, French or Japanese style rather than diner). Careful, but not elaborate presentation.

Jason Truesdell

#11 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

bringing this back to the top as I need a recc for a brunch in the northend.

I'll be at a meeting in Shoreline early sunday & we'll deserve a nice meal when we're done :>
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#12 GourmetLight$

GourmetLight$

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:59 AM

I'll be at a meeting in Shoreline early sunday & we'll deserve a nice meal when we're done :>

If you don't require a view, and if Edmonds appeals, we love Epulo Bistro's brunch menu: http://www.epulobistro.com/menu.html
Carolyn
~~~~~

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.R.R. Tolkien

#13 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

If you don't require a view, and if Edmonds appeals, we love Epulo Bistro's brunch menu: http://www.epulobistro.com/menu.html

I will have to try them next time we're up in Edmonds. We went to Preservation Kitchen which I enjoyed. The pancetta tomato benedict was good, the potatoes were outstanding and one of my friends made embarassingly enthusiastic noises about the French toast :)
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#14 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Glad your brunch at PK was good. We went for dinner last summer, it was some truly uninspiring food.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner