11 replies to this topic

#1 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

MrsSRD and I are off to the North York Moors for a week and wondered if anyone had any experience of eating and shopping in that part of the world.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a while. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

My new website: http://www.riverdale.org.uk/

#2 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

Not personally, but I have friends who live in Farnhill. If that's the same area you're visiting, I could ask them for recommendations. The husband knows his real ales!
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#3 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(ghostrider @ Aug 18 2008, 05:44 PM) View Post
Not personally, but I have friends who live in Farnhill. If that's the same area you're visiting, I could ask them for recommendations. The husband knows his real ales!
Thanks, but Farnhill is well to the West of where we'll be.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a while. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

#4 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(SRD @ Aug 18 2008, 12:49 PM) View Post
QUOTE(ghostrider @ Aug 18 2008, 05:44 PM) View Post
Thanks, but Farnhill is well to the West of where we'll be.

Ah. I looked it up on the map but wasn't sure whether it qualified. I have always whizzed right through Yorkshire & don't have a good sense of the geography there.

It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#5 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

Some old posters were big fans of The Star at Harome. Michelin starred so not cheap but the menu does look good.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#6 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(g.johnson @ Aug 18 2008, 06:59 PM) View Post
Some old posters were big fans of The Star at Harome. Michelin starred so not cheap but the menu does look good.
Thanks, it looks a little posh for us to take our 8 year old grand-daughter to, but we might make it on our own, if it isn't booked solid, it's bank holiday week.

#7 GavinJones

GavinJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:20 PM

15 years ago there was decent (non-michelin) food at the mallyan spout.
It is however in tvs heartbeat country which may mean the food is now pastiche 1960's pub food.

#8 AnnyBaxter

AnnyBaxter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:18 PM

We recently ate at 3 places in Yorkshire.

Star Inn in the City, York

Skosh, York and

1884 Dock Street Kitchen, Hull.

We liked the Star Inn in the City but can't compare it with the Star Inn at Harome since we couldn't get a booking there. We had a walk in on a Wednesday night. It is pleasantly located on the city boundary overlooking the river. The menu is here http://www.starinnth...city_grubup.htm

The posh prawn cocktail was large, fresh and very enjoyable, he the had Pressed ‘Leven Farm’ Confit Duck Terrine, Blood Orange & Baked Ginger Parkin, Yorkshire Rhubarb and Spices. For mains we had: Mutton Pie and Pork Chops from the specials list. Both delicious and huge.  We share a Yorkshire Rhubarb & Custard Baked Alaska, Rhubarb Ripple Ice Cream.

Skosh had been recommended by locals and a Guardian review.

https://www.theguard...staurant-review

It was within the city boundary on Micklegate and well worth a visit to share as many small plates as could be eaten from the menu.

Why Hull? Well it is the UK City of Culture 2017, home of William Wilberforce slave abolitionist and 1884 Dock Street Kitchen was the only restaurant to feature in the Good Food Guide. http://www.1884docks...tkitchen.co.uk/ It does a good fixed price lunch with a massive Chicken Kiev with wild Garlick and Hake. We had cheese from an old fashioned cheese trolley some local and some from further afield in the UK.

None of these were Michelin starred but all were fairly reasonable with a high level of cooking.

#9 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,249 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:56 PM

Welcome back, AnnyBaxter! :D

Butter is a little like money and alcohol. It doesn't solve any problems but may help smooth over a few. -- voyager, 13 October 2017 - 9:49 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#10 AnnyBaxter

AnnyBaxter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:52 PM

Suzanne, Hi!  Lowish key these days in not so sunny Glasgow.  Sometimes rugby beckons and we took 2 weeks to go see a match our neighbour did in 2 days :D   Saw the lovely Yin for lunch on Monday!

#11 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Hi Anny! x

#12 AnnyBaxter

AnnyBaxter

• Members
  • PipPip