39 replies to this topic

#31 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,452 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 01:17 PM

La Azotea - yeah we ate at the Calle Zaragoza branch and breakfasted everyday at the Matteos Gallos branch - as they had the nearest drinkable coffee.

To Chambo's point the two Tradevo's are both better an cheaper than La Azotea - which doesn't mean La Azotea isn't cheap and good.

Why not mayo?

#32 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,154 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:18 PM

I can easily believe that, but no time to check them out. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#33 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,154 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

Der guerrita in sanlucar, recommended by team La venencia, is excellent. Imagine a place in the Bushwick of sanlucar (insert appropriate spitting of coffee here) that serves very serious sherry (OK, manzanilla), jamón, etc and is nowhere nearly as hostile to visitors as it should be. Other places in town can generally fry stuff in good olive oil but I wouldn't risk the deli counter items.

#34 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,154 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

And I think Aponiente is the poster child for food that is totally incompatible with the SP format served in SP format. Delicious stuff, with many deep references to the local cuisine that nearly nobody will get (and cuttlefish pressed in a duck press), far too strongly flavored for 20+ courses...

#35 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,452 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:47 PM

I thought long and hard about that as our one serious meal, but ultimately decided the food looked too strongly flavored for me to ask AB^2 to eat.

Why not mayo?

#36 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,922 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

Have you been to the Alhambra?  Worth a visit.

Then that happened.

#37 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,452 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:35 PM

Yes, but not this trip.
Why not mayo?

#38 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,154 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:59 AM

So we're both taking our first bite of steak and simultaneously going "oh, so this is what grass fed is supposed to be about" 

La Castilleria, nominally a restaurant but actually a steakhouse, specializes in breed, locale and age specific beef and is probably most correctly used for the first time by ordering one steak from a 4-6 year old cow of the very local retinto - a red haired breeed which you can see walking all around Cadiz province, and which if you're lucky has been grazing near the coast, obtaining some pré-salé like traits and a second from a 9-11 year old vaca rubia from Galicia. The first is aged for just long enough to obtain good texture (2 weeks?) while the second is aged for over 45 days. The first is going to be the best grass fed steak you're likely to have had, the second will be very good in its genre (and I'm probably underrating it due to having had some of the best recently). Very decent wine list, order some appetizers for while the steak cooks but don't expect too much. 

p.s. to put things in perspective, the two steaks (I think they were around 12-14 oz each, boneless) were 24 and 30 euros respectively.

eta: the restaurant is located in bumfuck-de-la-frontera 

#39 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,154 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

Jaen is a small town of about 100,000 but its large community of (olive) oil barons supports several good restaurants, the most prominent of which is Casa Antonio. This is a large, well appointed restaurant, with a good wine list, a long-ish menu that includes such simple fare as butifarra de pichon - three sausage links stuffed with the meat (confit? roasted?) off a whole pigeon and quite a bit of foie to keep it company, tartare of galician beef with some smoked very local eel from the riofrio trout+eel+sturgeon operation, as well as more standard fare like oven baked hake, lamb, or steak that is supplemented by Antonio - who walks around the room spitting out dozens of specials in the most emphysemic inner andalusian accent - I only manage to make ends of half of them, a table from Madrid didn't score much better. The crowd is diverse - local families in for a couple of appetizers and large mains of meat or fish, bros on a date, foodies who sometimes come in for a weekend of eating (you can start on a friday afternoon, go away to sleep, then come back for saturday and sunday lunches, and still not make your way through the offerings). Top notch ingredients, capable kitchen brigade. Make it here if you're in the neighborhood, which of course you won't be. 

#40 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

Posted in wrong thread, then corrected.