79 replies to this topic

#31 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:55 PM

there is also the one where wolfe goes undercover and loses a lot of weight in order to destroy 'mr. x' (is that zeck?).

That's from In the Best Families, same book where the sausage is a tear gas bomb. Wolfe loses 117 pounds by going to South Texas for a month in hiding. He then establishes himself in LA as a crime boss before returning to NYC in his new persona.

#32 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:05 PM

While in St. Louis I stumbled across a quiet little bookshop called the Big Sleep that specializes in mystery novels. I inquired if she might have any Nero Wolfe mysteries, and I was led to a large box under a shelf. Turns out an elderly woman had recently passed away who was quite a fan. I was able to find an even dozen that I have yet to read.

Also, I just purchased the complete second season of Nero Wolfe on DVD from A&E. This was more pricey than the first season, but it's five discs instead of three. Oh yeah, and it came with a horrid t-shirt large enough to fit the genius himself. I may use it as a cover for the Saab.

#33 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 09:18 PM

Next you can start trawling old copies of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine for Nero Wolfe novelettes. I don't know if they've been collected in book form.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#34 guajolote

guajolote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:11 PM

in 'the golden spiders' wolfe receives a shipment of starlings from a farmer upstate. when they are served he refuses to eat them b/c fritz has prepared them with tarragon and saffron, instead of the usual wrapped in ham and sage leaves. he orders fritz to prepare him 4 coddled eggs instead. archie liked the starlings.

#35 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:28 PM

I love this thread. :lol:

We've been watching the DVDs of the series Tim Hutton directed and starred in. It is very well done. The Inspector Maigret is better, IMO, but this is worth the viewing. Especially the dining scenes.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#36 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:02 PM

We've been watching the DVDs of the series Tim Hutton directed and starred in. It is very well done. The Inspector Maigret is better, IMO, but this is worth the viewing. Especially the dining scenes.

Did you get both season 1 and 2?

#37 MikeG

MikeG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:41 AM

Fortunately, Stout obviously new more about food than he did orchids...

Can we forget saucisse minuit, which he first tasted in a little inn in Spain (while on some sort of unspecified espionage mission), before the recipe's author became a world famous chef? After much wheedling and toadying (to Archie's great disgust) on the aforementioned train ride (to West Va, I think?), Wolfe only succeeds in finally getting the recipe after saving the the creator's hide and then on top of that, shaming him into it, and Wolfe still has to promise that he will serve it only in his home, and reveal the recipe to no one, even to his own cook?:lol:

(On a tangent, I've always liked that Stout calls Fritz his "cook," not the so often pretentiously misused "chef.")

And while it's not one of Wolfe's "favorite foods", can we forget that Fred Durkin is "banished" to the kitchen when he eats at Wolfe's house because he once poured vinegar on something at Wolfe's table?

Or the fact that Wolfe does not allow lard in his house because "he ate too much of it as a boy?" Presumably that's the reason Archie has to go out for corned beef on rye, too... :lol:

Oh, and the horizontal beer tasting, in Fer-de-Lance was because he finally "decided to give up bottleg beer ... if he could find a brand of the legal 3.2 that was potable." :D

#38 Kim

Kim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:53 AM

nero wolfe DVD

ithe latest one i'm reading is 'the final deduction', where they are having shad roe so ofetn that archie is getting sick of it.

Isnt' this the one where Fritz complains that he can't make a proper sauce when there is a murderer in the house? I think that's the one..I retain the food details better than the titles.

WAs the Fish Market around during Wolfe's years? I think so, right? Fritz would have used that as a source, I'm sure.

#39 NeroW

NeroW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:41 AM

WAs the Fish Market around during Wolfe's years? I think so, right? Fritz would have used that as a source, I'm sure.

Yes, and yes.
We eat so many shrimp, we got iodine poisonin

#40 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:43 AM

We've been watching the DVDs of the series Tim Hutton directed and starred in.  It is very well done.  The Inspector Maigret is better, IMO, but this is worth the viewing.  Especially the dining scenes.

Did you get both season 1 and 2?

Yes.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#41 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:32 PM

Wolfe is also no fan of onions. On more than one occassion he argues that a recipe can be improved by the omission of onions. Of course, Fritz disagrees and Archie backs him when tasting the food in the dining room.

#42 guajolote

guajolote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

just got the dvd of the first season last week. a&e did a great job, especially with the costumes and the cars. my only problem with them is archie's accent, i've never heard anyone from ohio talk like that.

my favorite episode so far has been 'the doorbell rang.' i loved the part where fritz and nero argue about how many juniper berries to add the venison. fritz wants to add 5 and wolfe insists that he should only use 3 :lol: . wolfe tells fritz 'rinunin the anticipation of a meal is worse than ruining the meal intself.' ' :D :D :lol:

#43 guajolote

guajolote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

Anyone know what a Mondor patty is? Fritz makes them for a bunch of women in "Murder by the Book."

#44 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:58 AM

Derived from Duck Mondor, I assume, his favorite entree. Surely described upthread, but duck stuffed and roast, then broken down and broiled with an astonishingly rich sauce involving white wine, cream, cheese, cognac, pistachios, etc. I assume you could make patties from shredded leftovers.

ETA: Just checked the Wolfe cookbook, and there's no recipe. But it seems I omitted the egg yolks from the sauce above. I wouldn't want anyone to think Duck Mondor was a light dish.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#45 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,023 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Unintentionally, I have slipped into reading all the Nero Wolfe novels (more or less) in order.  It started because I'd never read a couple of the early ones, then I went back and re-read the first one.

I am on the fourteenth out of thirty-three.  They really are good.  Some I know I'm re-reading, but the plots (and denouments) are quite unimportant.  It's the dialog.  It also occurs to me that one reason they can bear reading and re-reading is Archie is by far the most likeable and entertaining narrator in detective fiction.

I mean--Watson?  Captain Hastings?  Is Archie the only "sidekick" who is a fully developed character?