15344 replies to this topic

#15316 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:01 PM

So, while here, did you see all the sites a girl could see in Brooklyn Heights?

This space available… contact owner.

#15317 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,970 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:10 PM

You could lose your mind.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15318 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:29 PM

So, while landing at JFK from SFO this past Sunday, we were about 20 - 30 feet above the runway, when the pilot guns the engine (or hits the switch to gun the engine) for a go around. Not really pleasant, and when he came on to tell us what the fuck was going on, he had received a wind shear warning, right about when we were ready to touch down.

Second attempt was much better, although they did have to remove one passenger on a stretcher, fearing a heart attack. I'm pretty sure it was a panic attack, as she was fairly young, alert and white as a ghost.

#15319 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:11 PM

Ouch, happened to me once. Wind hit the plane just as we were about to touchdown, blew us off the runway, and we climbed vertically to get out of it. Stressful.

#15320 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:52 AM

Sometimes I head down the rabbit hole to watch some weird shit on you tube.  Weird like take-offs and landings in bad weather, just so I can make myself more neurotic for flying, cause flying isn't one of my favorite things.  Fortunately, there are meds to help combat those fears.

Both Manchester and Birmingham airports (in GB) suffer from some windy conditions, and the takeoffs and landings there look like they might make me be removed from a plane on a stretcher.

https://www.youtube....h?v=-PDJV3k5_QU

#15321 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:02 PM

I have this weird thing where I am not nervous about flying, but I have this fatalist sense that I will probably not survive each flight. It's mild gloominess rather than nerves.

#15322 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,004 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

Just sing "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron" and you'll be fine.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#15323 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,852 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:53 PM

Peak Keto - that free sample counter at Whole Foods which usually offers some vegan abomination is featuring Chicken Chips

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#15324 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,872 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:02 PM

haven't been sleeping this last month... Woke up sitting up in a chair two floors down from my bedroom this morning... 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#15325 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:13 PM

haven't been sleeping this last month... Woke up sitting up in a chair two floors down from my bedroom this morning...

I’m pretty sure that, if I did that, my downstairs neighbor would call the cops.

This space available… contact owner.

#15326 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:32 PM

Sometimes I head down the rabbit hole to watch some weird shit on you tube.  Weird like take-offs and landings in bad weather, juRst so I can make myself more neurotic for flying, cause flying isn't one of my favorite things.  Fortunately, there are meds to help combat those fears.

Both Manchester and Birmingham airports (in GB) suffer from some windy conditions, and the takeoffs and landings there look like they might make me be removed from a plane on a stretcher.

https://www.youtube....h?v=-PDJV3k5_QU

A few years ago, we were landing at O'Hare, until we weren't.     Maybe 30 ft off the ground, Pilot sees another plane on our runway.     Points our plane straight up and aborts landing.    Apologizes on the intercom and advises that we will have to wait for a new slot in the landing queue .    So we circle over Lake Michigan for an hour.

Finally fuel concerns convince the tower to displace someone else and bring us down.    Do realize that they don't call Chicago the Windy City for nothing.    Chuck's reaction, DO NOT EVER FOR ANY REASON BOOK US THROUGH CHICAGO.   

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#15327 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:51 PM

I also try to avoid ORD if at all possible. Once had the misfortune of going from MHT to PDX via ORD when all but one runway was closed. That's one runway for all incoming AND outgoing flights. Was also there when all flights were cancelled because of heavy rain. We had to sleep on cots, but at least we got cots. And all this was pre-Rick Bayless's torta place, so we didn't even have good food!

#15328 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:48 PM

I had forgotten what a dump the Delta terminal at O’Hare is. Am at the PGA Tour event at Medinah which is +/- 10 miles from O’Hare. They built a new runway that goes right over the course. Pretty noisy. Great for Av geeks though to watch as we wait for some of the slower players to hit shots. We had an 1 hr 15 minute lightning delay earlier today. They shut down too. Just hoping I can get out of that hell hole tomorrow night without issue. The host hotel faces the takeoff/approach flight paths. So it has been fun to watch the planes coming and going at night.

ETA: or I should say I guess they did since no planes flew over...

#15329 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,852 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:18 PM

We once had to land in South Bend as ORD was too windy or foggy or both. At least I get to say I've been to Indiana.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#15330 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:08 AM

You’ve been to fucking South Bend.