15296 replies to this topic

#46 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:11 PM

My building......wrapped in white cheesecloth....all 20 stories.  Looking out the window makes the world seem.....uh.......other-worldly (whatever that means).  I have to live this way until APRIL 2005!  CT here I come.

You could pretend you are participating in Christo's latest project.....

You mean like the woman who was killed by his umbrella in CA? :D
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#47 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:49 PM

:huh:

We have a dress code here, but it's pretty loosey-goosey. Especially in the summer. But there are a couple of gals here who routinely show up looking surprisingly like hookers. An exposed navel piercing and extraordinarily short skirt were I believe the catalysts for the implementation of a dress code in the first place in the summer of 2003.

You guys wouldn't believe the shit my clients wear to court sometimes.

"Oh look, you wore your nicest cut-offs." :D

#48 fantasty

fantasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,442 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:12 PM

Walking to the office this morning I encountered: On the SE corner of 45th and 3rd, someone in an 8-foot yellow chicken costume dancing the, er, chicken dance, promoting the soon-to-open Texas Rotisserie outlet.

Then, across the street, on the NE corner of 45th and 3rd, and the SE corners of both 46th and 3rd and 47th and 3rd, small groups of Wachovia bank promoters holding giant placards and SINGING. The group at 47th and 3rd was singing "Yesterday"...like THAT'S going to inspire me or anyone else to open an account.
"My hogs were so lean you had to put lard in the pan just to cook your bacon" - Papa Wilson, 1918 - 2007

#49 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:18 PM

In my street at around 8.45am every morning: grown women zooming along the pavement crouched on children's scooters. There are a number of primary schools hereabouts; they accompany the blighters on their scooters; then use them as transport home.

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#50 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 04:40 PM

Yesterday I had lunch with the mother of my stepdaughter's best friend. Total Earth Mother...spends her days taxiing kids to 3 different schools, soccer/piano/ballet practice, all in her VW bus. The whole family is vegetarian, except when Dad brings home fresh-killed venison. Mom breast-fed the youngest until she was three. Delicate, wispy Irish features with a spray of pale freckles. But the heavy Queens accent always threw me.

Imagine my surprise when, in explaining how they came to live in Vermont, she gave me the whole story of her former life as an NYC subway cop. Why she's retired (with disability) from the force: she got into a tangle with a pregnant crack-head who was in the middle of a full scale freakout down in the 'bway. Bitch bit a monster hole in my friend's arm before tossing her down the stairs, ruining one knee and dadly damaging the other.

My favorite line from the exchange (when I asked how she freed herself from crack whore's bite):

"I broke her fuckin' nose. With my fist."

Transit cops have horrendous disability experience. It's a dangerous, dirty, dark assignment among tunnels, running water, live electricity, hostile patrons and cave dwellers, fast moving trains, etc. Anybody who does that kind of work has my respect.

My neighbor was a NYC Housing cop. Went out on disability when the neighbors dropped a 50 pound garbage can on him from 3-4 stories up. Just another day on the job...
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#51 monkeymay

monkeymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:30 PM

My building......wrapped in white cheesecloth....all 20 stories.  Looking out the window makes the world seem.....uh.......other-worldly (whatever that means).  I have to live this way until APRIL 2005!  CT here I come.

You could pretend you are participating in Christo's latest project.....

You mean like the woman who was killed by his umbrella in CA? :D

Oooh, I was there the day that accident happened. Freak windstorm, sky went black, very biblical, stuff flying everywhere. That poor woman. It was awful. :huh:
Good Politics. Bad Attitude.
Rough Tough Creampuff
Playing on the corner of crack and gentrification since 2004

If the world went backwards I would be Queen

#52 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:30 PM

This goes back a few years but it felt surreal at the time:

A chum and I were were passing a car park in front of a Brooklyn hospital's ER and we heard someone moaning loudly. Stopping, we saw the noises were coming from a heavily pregnant woman leaning against a taxi. A man with her was helping kids out of the back. In no apparent hurry, the guy helped one toddler out of the car, then a stroller, then another kid. We're thinking, get a move on. The guy got out his money for the taxi driver. That's 5 bucks, the driver said. The man replied, you said it would be $4. The driver gets out and they continue haggling as the woman howled. Then the woman crouched down and started to remove her underwear. $4, $5, I couldn't take it any longer and ran into the ER for help. Nurses came out with a trolly and the baby was born seconds later inside.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#53 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:56 PM

This goes back a few years but it felt surreal at the time:

A chum and I were were passing a car park in front of a Brooklyn hospital's ER and we heard someone moaning loudly. Stopping, we saw the noises were coming from a heavily pregnant woman leaning against a taxi. A man with her was helping kids out of the back. In no apparent hurry, the guy helped one toddler out of the car, then a stroller, then another kid. We're thinking, get a move on. The guy got out his money for the taxi driver. That's 5 bucks, the driver said. The man replied, you said it would be $4. The driver gets out and they continue haggling as the woman howled. Then the woman crouched down and started to remove her underwear. $4, $5, I couldn't take it any longer and ran into the ER for help. Nurses came out with a trolly and the baby was born seconds later inside.

I hope she had some money put aside to divorce the asshole.
curb your god

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY

#54 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 11:51 AM

I just noticed that my packet of Strepsils (thankfully hardly needed now) states 'for oral administration only' :D

v

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

#55 Guest_johnboy_*

Guest_johnboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2004 - 12:00 PM

I just noticed that my packet of Strepsils (thankfully hardly needed now) states 'for oral administration only' :o

v

Mmmm, menthol and eucalyptus fresh. :D :huh:

#56 Kikujiro

Kikujiro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 02:45 PM

Under duress, I had a Starbucks sandwich for lunch. They had two grilled chicken options, regular and 'light'. I looked at the nutritional information. Same amount of fat in both; twice as much saturated fat in 'light' than regular. Got regular. It was disgusting.
Same shit, different login. [-- Omni]

#57 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:42 PM

My hairdryer instructions said that one should not use the hairdryer when asleep.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#58 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:43 PM

My hairdryer instructions said that one should not use the hairdryer when asleep.

:D

v

#59 macrosan

macrosan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:41 PM

Very sensible. Were the instructions in Japanese ?

#60 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 10:55 PM

I was walking down my block past a row of brownstones with steps out front. On one of these steps sat a little old whitehaired woman with her dog, I think it was a Sheltie. The dog looked as old as she did (dog-years-wise). Walking in front of me was a guy and his Yorkie. As the Yorkie approached the steps where the Sheltie and his owner were, he looked up at them. The Sheltie got excited and started to go for the Yorkie. The little old whitehaired woman grabbed the leash and with all her might jerked it back to reprimand the Sheltie and said very sternly:
"Don't be an asshole!"
curb your god

CERES GALLERY