[SF] Spruce

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Aaron T_*

Guest_Aaron T_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

Returned for dinner at Spruce following my first less than impressive meal there link here a couple of months ago.

I hadn't thought of returning after my first visit but someone from the restaurant contacted me and sent me a gift card towards my next meal there.

I decided it was going to be a low risk experience to return and had a much better time.

Went with 2 friends. We started with drinks at the bar and the cocktails were good as I had remembered. I had a vodka gimlet with a cucumber garnish (the barkeep gave me an odd look, but I know what I like) as I saw they used cucumber in some of their signature cocktails. Delicious.

We had gotten their early and were seated before our reserve time (9 pm on a Sunday). The hostess offered to carry our drinks to our table on a tray but we had gotten thirsty and drank them all before she could get to them!

The meal started with some nice warm gougeres. I enjoyed these and should have asked for another round.

Apps: Foie Gras Torchon, a beet salad, and a scallop dish with mushrooms. I did not try the scallop dish but it was enjoyed. The beet salad ordered in honor of Glyn included both red and golden beets as well as some pear. Was good and had a lot of visual appeal. The foie came with little soft breadsticks (I am forgetting what they are called) and was of high quality and generous portion. One in our party had never had foie and really enjoyed this.

Entrees: We all had the burger. Based on my previous visit and our stint at the bar we had all settled on the burger. They offered three different types of cheese as options. My burger was cooked more than I would have preferred but I was hungry and my dining companions had their food in front of them so I ate it. It was still quite good, so I suspect had it actually been medium rare it would have been sensational. The other burgers were cooked to specifications and were enjoyed and devoured. Each of the burgers came with french fries that were good and in ample quantity (too many to finish).

We were all too full for dessert, even to share one. The portions are large. They brought out mignardes, a fruit jelly and a savory cookie for each of us. Fine.

The wine we drank was wonderful. It was the 2006 Saint-Joseph from Pierre Gaillard. "Cote Belley". It really meshed well with the food, especially the burgers but also the apps. I enjoyed it so much I ordered some online this morning.

Overall I had a significantly better experience this time. The service was with it, including good wine service. They didn't overpour from the bottle and when the DD in our party indicated they didn't want any more wine, the servers remembered and did not try to pour more into his glass or take it away. The burger does appear the way to go, as I had guessed in my previous post. The portions are still large. Either share an app and a dessert or get an app each and skip dessert (unless you have a bigger appetite than I do). Our meal was $176 + tax & tip for the three of us, largely due to the wine which was $86 (but well worth it).