456 replies to this topic

#406 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:17 PM

It's fine in some contexts, but it's really silly when people do that with paintings in the Met Museum's permanent collection, as most of those have really nice high-resolution reproductions freely available online: https://www.metmuseu...n/search/437345.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#407 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,989 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:58 PM

Go to the main art museum in Oslo and just try to get to see The Scream through the thick throng of posing selfie-takers.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#408 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:33 AM

Just this evening I read Peter Schjeldahl’s review, which is more than fulsome (rightly so, it seems to me). The show, he says, is not big enough.

He hits a home run in his lede, pointing out that fashions in art are ephemeral. He doesn’t need to refer to the widespread assumption when Warhol first became famous that he would be forgotten in a heartbeat. He simply observes that all the things Warhol started doing 60 years ago are still massively important and influential.

I need to figure out when to go. My daughter should see it too if possible.

#409 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:36 AM

Go to the main art museum in Oslo and just try to get to see The Scream through the thick throng of posing selfie-takers.

Guernica is decently displayed, in its own large room, and with a rope keeping people way back. The funny thing is, you can find the room by following the hubbub of voices.

La Gioconda is just so small. Not much chance of a good experience there.

I miss the good old days when hoi polloi had no interest in art. :snob:

#410 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:39 AM

It's fine in some contexts, but it's really silly when people do that with paintings in the Met Museum's permanent collection, as most of those have really nice high-resolution reproductions freely available online: https://www.metmuseu...n/search/437345.

People taking shitty photos of art works instead of looking at them is something I try not to care about. The thing is, these people (:snob:) are not going to spend any time looking later at either their pictures or at good reproductions. It’s a record that they were there; it’s not about the art.

#411 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:40 AM

And as for audio guides, hold me back, just hold me back.

#412 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,004 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 05:42 AM

People taking shitty photos of art works instead of looking at them is something I try not to care about. The thing is, these people (:snob:) are not going to spend any time looking later at either their pictures or at good reproductions. It’s a record that they were there; it’s not about the art.

B-b-b-but, Mona Lisa and Meeeee!

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#413 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,863 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:27 AM

It's quite funny that with all the stories about the suffering and vanishing of the middle class we're getting a tsunami of newly middle classed folks with a lot to prove.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#414 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,469 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 07:28 PM

I mean, the whole photos of art in museums thing can easily be solved by not allowing photos in museums.

But, how would that affect attendance, and museums' abilities to remain open?  There are certainly certain shows, at certain museums, where photography is not allowed.

Wilfrid - I'm friends with a photographer who made his name photographing rock and roll people (maybe you know him - Chalkie Davies?) - he's doing an interesting series of photos of people looking at art.

#415 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 10:59 PM

Chalkie, it’s been years! Is he living in New York? I don’t know if he’d remember me,* but yes, we worked at the NME at the same time.

*I would have been impressed by him rather than vice verse!

#416 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:06 AM

Jack Whitten sculptures (and paintings) at the Breuer is compelling. Honestly, he hadn’t been on my radar.

The show is excellent, the curation annoying. As Sanford Schwartz says in the NYRB review, it’s intrusive to intersperse African sculptures, purported influences, among Whitten’s works. Would a curator do that to David Smith? If relevant, they should be in a side gallery or corralled at the end of the show.

Beyond that, it’s distracting to find this curatorial interpretation layered over the works which, largely abstract, present as form and material. Yes, there are evident ritual and shamanistic elements, and you can’t miss a totem pole, but this urge to explain it all is irritating— and what’s more gets silly in the period Whitten is living in Crete and steeping himself in non-African influences.

Plus some of the wall plaques are just daft. Ralph Ellison’s best known novel is Invisible Man, for example. Yes, I wonder why.

#417 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,989 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 03:00 AM

Guernica is decently displayed, in its own large room, and with a rope keeping people way back. The funny thing is, you can find the room by following the hubbub of voices.

La Gioconda is just so small. Not much chance of a good experience there.

I miss the good old days when hoi polloi had no interest in art. :snob:

But at least people aren't standing in front of Guernica pretending to be the horse.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#418 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 04:29 AM

Oh that’s sad.

#419 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,469 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:47 AM

Chalkie, it’s been years! Is he living in New York? I don’t know if he’d remember me,* but yes, we worked at the NME at the same time.

*I would have been impressed by him rather than vice verse!

Indeed.

He has a nice Instagram feed. And recently (well, a couple of years ago now) published a book of some of his iconic photos, accompanied by an exhibition at a couple of museums.

Back to the other subject: I remember a lot of people in front of Guernica, but I don't remember anyone being particularly douche-y. And there were lots of teens, obviously on school type trips.

But the whole thing about photographing one's self in front of stuff; is that more of an "Old Man Shaking Fist at Clouds" type of complaint?

#420 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:36 PM

I’ll check out his Instagram; thanks.