442 replies to this topic

#436 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,605 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:08 PM

That would certainly be a good way to explore. I’ve see the later works in dedicated shows. Gagosian Chelsea for example?

Or actually why trust my memory? https://www.pinkpign...avid-smith.html

#437 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,605 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:14 PM

By chance, the comments on the David Smith show in that article touch on the idea of late works, and how early death deprives us of them.

#438 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:45 AM

Verena Sieber-Fuchs, "Garlic Collar," 2012, Museum of Arts and Design, gift of the artist, 2016

lwIMONO.jpg

#439 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 07:16 PM

I'm looking forward to this opening.  https://faroutmagazi...JREMrDftHG0wjsA  

"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#440 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 12:03 PM

The shows and museums we visited and revisited in London and Paris were just great.

Certainly, having never been to a museum in London, Tate Britain and the National Gallery were both fabulous. The "blockbuster" Van Gogh at Tate, the Vermeers and William Blake, along with this show at the National Gallery: Boilly: Scenes of Parisian Life (an artist I knew nothing about), were quite moving.

We did want to immerse ourselves in impressionist and post-impressionist work, so a return visit to the Musée d'Orsay, along with a great day visiting La Fondation Louis Vuitton and the surrounding grounds and gardens. At Louis Vuitton, the show we saw was fantastic - The Courtauld Collection.   Anyone gonna be in Paris over the next few months - it's a must-see if you're a fan of impressionism. 

The exhibition presents the collection of the British entrepreneur and art patron Samuel Courtauld, which hasn't been showed in Paris for the past 60 years. 

“The Courtauld Collection: A Vision for Impressionism” brings together some 110 works, including 60 paintings and graphic pieces, which are mainly conserved in the Courtauld Gallery or in different international public and private collections. It features some of the greatest paintings from the end of the 19th century and from the very beginning of the 20th century

These works include "Un Bar aux Folies Bergère" (1882) by Manet, "La Jeune Femme se poudrant" by Seurat (1889-90), "Les Joueurs" de cartesby Cézanne (1892-96), "Autoportrait à l’oreille bandée" by Van Gogh(1889), "Nevermore" by Gauguin (1897), as well as a set of ten watercolours by  J.M.W. Turner which belonged to Samuel Courtauld’s brother, Sir Stephen Courtauld. 

Samuel Courtauld, and the Courtauld family, made their fortune first in silver, then silk and rayon.  Fortunately, they were also great patrons of the arts, supporters of artists, philanthropists, etc. Samuel also had a pretty damn good eye for art. 

#441 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,159 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:10 PM

The Courtauld Gallery in London is a pretty fabulous visit, next time you're around.  (They really pack those paintings in there!)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#442 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,605 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:12 PM

Yes.

I remember a rustic French restaurant in a wing of the building. But I can’t remember what it was called. Somerset House (the building).

#443 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,045 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 11:37 AM

The Courtauld Gallery in London is a pretty fabulous visit, next time you're around.  (They really pack those paintings in there!)

Yeah, I imagine it will be (except now, when most of the stuff is in Paris).  

The show at the Vuitton Foundation also had great pictures of their actual house/gallery, back when it was their house/gallery - must have been nice to have a few dozen great impressionist paintings hanging in one's living room.

And while it's awe-inspiring to see so much great impressionist painting, walking up to the 2 Vermeer's gave me literal goosebumps. To say nothing of the collection of Rembrandt's the National Gallery holds.

EeP8RYf.jpg?1