456 replies to this topic

#451 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,868 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:40 AM

Fully get that, like the Harley Davidson at the Guggenheim. But the Met isn’t struggling to keep the doors open.

#452 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,851 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:29 AM

If I were in Philadelphia I would certainly catch the Bill Viola show at the Barnes Foundation.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#453 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,564 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:55 PM

If museums have to rely on ticket sales to stay open, then they CAN'T fulfill their mission and should probably close and leave the field to for-profit enterprises that are SUPPOSED to be run that way.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#454 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,226 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:56 PM

Then we wouldn't be able to see a lot of great art, I guess.

Here's the Met's Mission Statement:

Mission Statement

The Metropolitan Museum of Art was founded on April 13, 1870, "to be located in the City of New York, for the purpose of establishing and maintaining in said city a Museum and library of art, of encouraging and developing the study of the fine arts, and the application of arts to manufacture and practical life, of advancing the general knowledge of kindred subjects, and, to that end, of furnishing popular instruction."[1]

This statement of purpose has guided the Museum for over 140 years.

On January 13, 2015, the Trustees of The Metropolitan Museum of Art reaffirmed this statement of purpose and supplemented it with the following statement of mission:

The Metropolitan Museum of Art collects, studies, conserves, and presents significant works of art across all times and cultures in order to connect people to creativity, knowledge, and ideas.

Nowhere do i see the words in that mission, "to the populace, for free."

Nor do I see not-for-profit in Webster's definition of what a museum is.

Definition of museum

an institution devoted to the procurement, care, study, and display of objects of lasting interest or value American Museum of Natural History

also a place where objects are exhibited an art museum

#455 greenspace

greenspace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:04 PM

Fully get that, like the Harley Davidson at the Guggenheim. But the Met isn’t struggling to keep the doors open.

Narrator Voice: Not so Fast.

" Let’s talk a little bit about that financial picture you inherited when you arrived. I mean you had a debt that was approaching $40 million; your operating losses were in the vicinity of $10 million, and you made a commitment– and the board– to have a balanced budget by 2020, and that appears to be on track. Now I know this is not rocket science, but there is something to it. What were the steps, and what were the actions you took to right the ship?"

https://www.philanthropy.com/article/Metropolitan-Museum-of-Art-s/246273

------------------------------

“We wanted a higher level of culinary discourse”

"I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning."

#456 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,868 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:55 AM

https://www.google.c...itutions-2013-2

Did the Met burn through that in five years?

#457 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,949 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 02:41 AM

Soul of a Nation: Art in the Age of Black Power 1963-1983 at the Broad.  An exhibit organized by the Tate Modern in conjunction with the Broad and others.  https://www.thebroad...oul-of-a-nation  Some serious stuff.  Some powerful stuff.  Some historical stuff.  If it hasn't been to Brooklyn, it's coming.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought