802 replies to this topic

#796 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:40 PM

any thoughts on cocktail bars at the moment? 

Bar Gen Yamamoto was getting a lot of attention during my last visit almost three years ago.  It was a fine experience, and he is terrific but I did find the progression of drinks to be on the sweet side. 

#797 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 08:45 PM

We will be visiting Seoul and Sapporo in February. If anyone has any recommendations, we'd be grateful.

As of right now I am looking to book Soigne in Seoul.  When we were at Atomix in October, Ellia recommended Mingles.

#798 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,198 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:42 PM

There are many excellent bars, sushi places, ramen shops, izakaya, etc. in Sapporo, mostly conveniently located in or close to Susukino... how long will you be there? any style in particular you're interested in? 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#799 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:10 AM

What do you think of Lature?

#800 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,198 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 11:09 AM

Great choice during game season.

#801 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:07 PM

There are many excellent bars, sushi places, ramen shops, izakaya, etc. in Sapporo, mostly conveniently located in or close to Susukino... how long will you be there? any style in particular you're interested in?

Thanks so much, Orik. We will be in Sapporo the 7th through the 13th of February. We have a night in Otaru at Kuramure Ryokan before arriving in Sapporo.

This will be out third time in Japan but our first time this far north. When it comes to bars I love them all (a very long evening at Mr. Kanso in Osaka was one of the best impromptu birthdays I've ever had) but I'm sure my lady friend would lean towards a cocktail bar and (when available) places with no or minimal cigarette smoke.

We are up for trying any food options at all price points and settings. We realize there are many places in Tokyo that won't accept a reservation if you don't speak some Japanese but it doesn't feel like that would be as much an issue here as most places seem informal enough to not require advanced booking but I could be misreading that.

#802 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 02:03 PM

Thanks, Orik.

#803 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,198 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 03:28 PM

Thanks so much, Orik. We will be in Sapporo the 7th through the 13th of February. We have a night in Otaru at Kuramure Ryokan before arriving in Sapporo.

This will be out third time in Japan but our first time this far north. When it comes to bars I love them all (a very long evening at Mr. Kanso in Osaka was one of the best impromptu birthdays I've ever had) but I'm sure my lady friend would lean towards a cocktail bar and (when available) places with no or minimal cigarette smoke.

We are up for trying any food options at all price points and settings. We realize there are many places in Tokyo that won't accept a reservation if you don't speak some Japanese but it doesn't feel like that would be as much an issue here as most places seem informal enough to not require advanced booking but I could be misreading that.

It's still Japan, so serious places absolutely requires advance booking, although winter should be easier if you're not there exactly during the ice sculpture festival or such. I'll post a list later today.