818 replies to this topic

#811 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,141 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

How do you like it as a city. I really need to visit for work but I've kind of been avoiding it.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#812 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:49 AM

How do you like it as a city. I really need to visit for work but I've kind of been avoiding it.

I see no reason to avoid it. I mean it’s not Tokyo and it’s not Osaka, but it has a much more manageable “downtown” than either of those. Kind of intimate by Japanese standards. The yatai are kind of tourist traps but you have to do them once.

So I had a Japanese roommate in law school (he was a grad student) almost 20 years ago. We met up in Osaka (hadn’t seen each other since 2002). Yeah, this is one country where you really do have to eat with someone who speaks the language. Night and day difference. Started out with a multi course fugu nabe thing...I actually don’t think it’s a very tasty fish but worth doing once. Then ended up in a seafood centric izakaya (only Japanese spoken) and had course after course of perfect mentaiko, roe-filled rice cakes, braised sea cucumber (this dish seemed Chinese to me actually), etc.

In Kyoto now.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#813 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:49 PM

The streets smell like pork bone, and yes the yatai have been dead for a very, very long time after all the good ones have moved into permanent locations, but it's a nice town, the most studential of any I've been to in Japan. Horse, mentaiko, tripe, Tenzushi, etc. You couldn't be more wrong about fugu. 

I never responded to The Flon. 

Sapporo - 

A meal at Oshidori is, to me, a must. All the fish and seafood comes from the chef's home county and with few exceptions is from less than 24 hours ago. Go with the most expensive menu, tell the chef I sent you there for the gout plate. The sake selection isn't great so there's no need to drink too much and so you can then go to Bar Proof - a legend and rightfully so even if I drank all their old whisky, nano gould - in the same building - not entirely to my taste (lotsa sweet fruity stuff) but good nonetheless, maybe yamazaki or hermitage. 

There are many good options for Hokkaido style ramen that you can google, but I actually prefer the superb tantanmen at 175 DENO (they recently opened in Tokyo as well, but I haven't been) 

Gyosai is a terrific little Izakaya with a very good sake list and great food. Very homey and it might be difficult without Japanese but they'll warm up to you and try to help you order well. 

I'll post sushi, french, kaiseki options and a few more random places later. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#814 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

Oh, but before that, if you're at all interested in a Genghis Khan meal (a sort of lamb yakiniku endemic to Hokkaido) then go to Daruma.

#815 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:36 PM

The streets smell like pork bone, and yes the yatai have been dead for a very, very long time after all the good ones have moved into permanent locations, but it's a nice town, the most studential of any I've been to in Japan. Horse, mentaiko, tripe, Tenzushi, etc. You couldn't be more wrong about fugu. 

Sapporo - 

A meal at Oshidori is, to me, a must. All the fish and seafood comes from the chef's home county and with few exceptions is from less than 24 hours ago. Go with the most expensive menu, tell the chef I sent you there for the gout plate. The sake selection isn't great so there's no need to drink too much and so you can then go to Bar Proof - a legend and rightfully so even if I drank all their old whisky, nano gould - in the same building - not entirely to my taste (lotsa sweet fruity stuff) but good nonetheless, maybe yamazaki or hermitage. 

There are many good options for Hokkaido style ramen that you can google, but I actually prefer the superb tantanmen at 175 DENO (they recently opened in Tokyo as well, but I haven't been) 

Gyosai is a terrific little Izakaya with a very good sake list and great food. Very homey and it might be difficult without Japanese but they'll warm up to you and try to help you order well. 

I can't thank you enough for this! 

#816 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:10 PM

Any other suggestions for Fukuoka as well as other areas of Kyushu? A friend will be traveling around the island in May and has asked for suggestions. Not just food, but also photogenic spots/places. He's quite a good amateur photographer, and whenever he puts out a call for recommendations, I only give him food-related ones. I'd like to surprise him with something different!

#817 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:18 PM

Sapporo - 

We've secured a booking at Oshidori. Thanks again for the recommendation. My email correspondence with the restaurant went very smoothly. Looking forward to this.

#818 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,141 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:46 PM

Going to be in Tokyo from 2/28-3/8  - but weird day trip schedule around japan ; Sendai-Morioka-Fukushima-Toyama-Fukuoka-Kumamoto-Nagoya-Osaka means I don't know how much eating I'll get done, however the missus is coming over for the weekend in Tokyo (in theory we could go to Fukuoka for the weekend as I need to be there Monday AM, but that feels like a lot of travel for her.)

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#819 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:44 PM

I haven't been yet, but I'm sure Shiro Yamazaki's new place is worth your consideration. Let me know if you need help booking.

https://s.tabelog.co...30701/13225691/