171 replies to this topic

#166 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

finally wrote up my meal at the mothership in late august (now with a pink pig citation).

Just came across this.  

This marrow toast, made up in kitchen, would be a stunning addition to a dinner party first course.     Maybe passed on a platter.     I am loathe to serve marrow as a complete first course since not everyone eats it.    Like my husband...

33444490564_2f8394c68d.jpg

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#167 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

it didn't look like a queue--they were just milling around. but you're probably right.

The milling around, I think, seems to be around various pubs...and I don't know if it's really milling around, but instead standing outside with their drinks in order to soak in the beautiful day (it's been way too nice in London for me), as well as to smoke.

That said, those tiny brown shrimp were just great tossed with shredded cabbage as a first course last night, Delicious peas in their pods accompanied our first glasses of wine. And pickled mackerel with potatoes was super too.

Roast Middlewhite, Megrim sole, and violet artichokes braised with peas rounded out our meal pretty damn nicely. Eccles cake, too. 

Just a fine time, with excellent service from the friendly, knowledgeable staff.

#168 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,533 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

It is, of course, legal to drink in public in the UK, so where pubs don't have seats, people just drink on the sidewalk on a nice day.

#169 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,968 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

yes, people mill around outside pubs even after dark (a friend and i did that last night in covent garden after a play). however, i don't think i've noticed people milling around outside another establishment's entrance to the point of making it hard to enter.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#170 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,968 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

for reference here's the photograph of the crowd i commented on last august. note that the crowd is entirely in front of the st. john entrance.

exterior1.jpg

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#171 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,533 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:28 PM

That looks annoying.

#172 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

...not really, St. Peter is still the gatekeeper.