8 replies to this topic

#1 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,420 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

Manducatis, a Long Island City Italian more notable for its wine list than for its food, turned its flagship into a steakhouse and opened a casual multi-part outpost on Vernon Boulevard. The cafe (no tablecloths) features sandwiches, pizzas (no slices) pastries and gelato, as well as some raw ingredients, including breads. A more formal dining room offers various appetizers, pastas and main courses. Both rooms have fireplaces and sofas, and the feeling of a finished basement in the 1950s, in a good way.

R. had a mixed salad that came with goat cheese and walnuts. I started with roasted peppers and bufalo mozzarella, a very generous portion made even larger by the server's initial error that resulted in his bringing two servings for us to share. One is in the fridge now, to be my lunch today.

R. had a ravioli dish that he liked a lot. I had an excellent housemade fettucine with a creamy sauce garnished with some chopped arugula and four big, delicious shrimps. R. couldn't resist the zuppa inglese, decorated with very fresh berries and I couldn't resist "helping" him.

There were about 10 flavors of neon-colored gelato, sourced from where? House made? I don't know. We'll try some another time. This is a welcome addition to the neighborhood

In the meantime, there is no liquor license, but Hunter's Point Wines, a block away, can provide a good bottle at a good price.

#2 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

So the original Manducatis, which I never got to, doesn't really exist as such?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#3 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,420 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Jan 5 2009, 12:00 PM) View Post
So the original Manducatis, which I never got to, doesn't really exist as such?

Yes. You can cross it off your list.

#4 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

Ha. Saved some money there. laugh.gif
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#5 djk

djk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

years ago the food was really good. and "mamma" would do an off menu multi course dinner of whatever she felt like cooking for you which was very fun. and a divine wine list. hmmm. interesting. will check out someday....

#6 EatingInTranslation

EatingInTranslation

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE(Lippy @ Jan 5 2009, 11:51 AM) View Post
Manducatis, a Long Island City Italian more notable for its wine list than for its food, turned its flagship into a steakhouse and opened a casual multi-part outpost on Vernon Boulevard. The cafe (no tablecloths) features sandwiches, pizzas (no slices) pastries and gelato, as well as some raw ingredients, including breads. A more formal dining room offers various appetizers, pastas and main courses. Both rooms have fireplaces and sofas, and the feeling of a finished basement in the 1950s, in a good way.

R. had a mixed salad that came with goat cheese and walnuts. I started with roasted peppers and bufalo mozzarella, a very generous portion made even larger by the server's initial error that resulted in his bringing two servings for us to share. One is in the fridge now, to be my lunch today.

R. had a ravioli dish that he liked a lot. I had an excellent housemade fettucine with a creamy sauce garnished with some chopped arugula and four big, delicious shrimps. R. couldn't resist the zuppa inglese, decorated with very fresh berries and I couldn't resist "helping" him.

There were about 10 flavors of neon-colored gelato, sourced from where? House made? I don't know. We'll try some another time. This is a welcome addition to the neighborhood

In the meantime, there is no liquor license, but Hunter's Point Wines, a block away, can provide a good bottle at a good price.

The gelati are indeed housemade; my favorite is the Sicilian lemon, but I wouldn't kick the hazelnut off the table.

Manducatis Rustica is more the offspring of the original restaurant than a branch. It was opened last September by the daughter of the Manducatis owners; she wanted to expand on her existing catering business and also to benefit from the Manducatis name. At the time, I had occasion to speak at some length with the son who's the sommelier at the original restaurant, and I received no indication that the new venue would affect the direction of the old. Are you quite sure that Manducatis is now simply a steakhouse?

#7 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,420 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

I'm just basing that on a drive-by. The actual menu may be more extensive.

#8 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,420 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:23 PM

We finally tried the gelato here last night. They let me have three flavors in a small cup: chocolate, tiramisu and jasmine. The latter was surprisingly interesting. Ranitidine did not like his coconut at all and that is a flavor he normally loves. Once you've had gelato at Otto, it's hard to be satisfied anywhere else.

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,514 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:44 AM

Wait wait wait.  Manducatis Rustica is an offshoot of Manducatis, a few blocks from the mothership.

Manducatis proper still very much exists.

Bar Loser

MF Old