16 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

I ate a lot of kidneys growing up - almost exclusively lamb's - even for breakfast.

It's hard to find lamb's kidneys in New York, unless you pick the right moment to ask a greenmarket vendor. Pig's kidneys can be found in Chinatown - they're not my favorite. Veal kidneys survive on one or two old-time French restaurant menus, usually cooked in some kind of wine and cream sauce.

But hey, beef kidneys just showed up in the supermarket. Who could resist? I've never cooked them - they look like veal kidneys, only darker. Research suggests blanching them quickly in hot water and vinegar as the first move.

I shall report back later.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,200 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

I'd suggest a good long soak in salty water, possibly change them a couple of times. Do they still have any of the suet on them?
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 Deb Van D

Deb Van D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:32 PM

I soak beef kidneys for a few hours to a day in the fridge and change the water once or twice. Little vinegar. My mother always insisted that I look for "baby beef" kidneys, which I guess are veal, but I never find them. It was a Sunday morning breakfast when we were growing up, and a special one at that. I don't think it was ever served as a dinner, although now it's the only time I have them.
Using salt and pepper is a good, inexpensive way to put flavor in your food. Sandra Lee

#4 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

I tend to soak kidneys in milk, not sure why, but always have

Beef kidneys, off course, call out to be used in a pie or pudding, I am not sure if they would lend themselves too well to devilling

The lass over at Chocolate & Zucchini has a nice looking recipe for them with ceps and onions

Slapsie

#5 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,366 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

no stores catering to arabs in nyc? the holy land grocery in minneapolis often has lamb kidney and liver.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#6 SRD

SRD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:48 PM

Beef kidney is known as ox kidney over here and is generally used for steak and kidney pie or pudding.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a while. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

My new website: http://www.riverdale.org.uk/

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jan 8 2009, 12:26 PM) View Post
no stores catering to arabs in nyc? the holy land grocery in minneapolis often has lamb kidney and liver.

Good point. I can't recall checking any of the Halal butchers.

Preparing the kidney (one big one) reminded me that I have indeed cooked beef kidney before. It has a surprisingly large, hard white core which need to be removed. In fact, it's less a matter of removing the core, than slicing the soft lobes off and throwing out the rest. (No suet attached.)

I took a brisk approach to the blanching. Boiled a pan of water with about a tablespoon of vinegar and threw the lobes in. Clearly a good idea, because they soon started discharging a bad-smelling, grainy, grey-brown liquid. I poured out the water once it was cloudy, then continued rinsing them in running hot water from the tap. Kept it up until I'd flushed out the grey-ish stuff, then dried them on paper towels. Seasoned, sprinkled with flour, and fried in a pan where I already had chopped onions softening in oil.

Huge success with the family, to the regrettable extent that there were none left for me. I will buy two kidneys next time (less than $2 each), and take the trouble to make a pan sauce (red wine, cream or sour cream, mustard, fresh herbs). Also good to serve them with mushrooms, of course. Or some chopped bacon.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#8 tanabutler

tanabutler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:47 AM

Be careful with your kidneys.

#9 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jan 8 2009, 12:26 PM) View Post
no stores catering to arabs in nyc?

Tiffany, Saks, that sort of thing?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#10 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,366 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

you do know that you have to be arab to gain entry to tiffany's meat section. saks is for tourists.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#11 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:34 PM

Actually arab, or just arabic?
Elect-a-lujah

#12 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

Arabians? Aerobic? Hmm.

An italian restaurant here does a neat trick with a kidney & mushroom pasta sauce. Neat trick because you can't tell which is which until you eat it.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#13 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,366 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

speaking of the sheik of araby, i just finished an interesting conversation with a candidate for a position in arabic language and literature. from syria to edinburgh to north carolina to possibly southern minnesota. i asked her if she cooks with canned kidney beans, but she just looked confused.

~homer simpson

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,772 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:07 AM

I ate a lot of kidneys growing up - almost exclusively lamb's - even for breakfast.

It's hard to find lamb's kidneys in New York, unless you pick the right moment to ask a greenmarket vendor. Pig's kidneys can be found in Chinatown - they're not my favorite. Veal kidneys survive on one or two old-time French restaurant menus, usually cooked in some kind of wine and cream sauce.

But hey, beef kidneys just showed up in the supermarket. Who could resist? I've never cooked them - they look like veal kidneys, only darker. Research suggests blanching them quickly in hot water and vinegar as the first move.

I shall report back later.

Just reading Simon Hopkinson on kidneys I had a flashback, and looking for somewhere to post it I find I mentioned kidneys for breakfast many years ago.

The flashback was the reason I asked my mother to cook kidneys for breakfast (and it was no harder or more expensive than sausages or bacon).

It was because Bulldog Drummond ate kidneys for breakfast.

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,139 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:13 AM

And now that you’re grown up you’re virtually indistinguishable.
Bar Loser

MF Old