74 replies to this topic

#16 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

Got to try Hudson last night with some friends. Thumbs up! They've created a really comfortable feeling place, good selection of beers on tap and some pretty good food. I had a bacon cheese burger that was simple, but very tasty. Others that I was with tried the fried catfish and the chicken-fried steak, both somewhat over-salted but good. Clietele is a mix of the Georgetown tats set and blue collar.

In other G-town food news, Slim's Last Chance was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on Monday night. Stopped by there for dessert (cup of Texas Red Chile and a beer), the bartender said it has really helped biz. If you're a chile fan at all, Slim's is worth the effort to get to.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#17 Fay Jai

Fay Jai

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:29 AM

Sounds Like Rascal's in South Park is on the ropes again....the current rumor is that it is going to become a Hooters.(!)
Glad to hear about Hudson, Amber is going there Sunday night for her birthday. Sadly, I will be at home with the Coopster.

~Jason
www.bloatitup.com

#18 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE(Fay Jai @ Apr 30 2009, 08:29 PM) View Post
Sounds Like Rascal's in South Park is on the ropes again....the current rumor is that it is going to become a Hooters.(!)

Pat had said they were 'closed for remodeling' unti August. Hooters?, at least I'll be able to get some good wings in the 'hood.

#19 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE(tighe @ Apr 29 2009, 09:38 AM) View Post
Got to try Hudson last night with some friends. Thumbs up! They've created a really comfortable feeling place, good selection of beers on tap and some pretty good food. I had a bacon cheese burger that was simple, but very tasty. Others that I was with tried the fried catfish and the chicken-fried steak, both somewhat over-salted but good. Clietele is a mix of the Georgetown tats set and blue collar.

I drive by this place everyday and I'm glad to hear someone has checked it out, and that it's good. Odd location, hope they can make it. I like the building.

I like your description, "the georgetown tats set" LOL

I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#20 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(malarkey @ May 4 2009, 04:44 PM) View Post

I drive by this place everyday and I'm glad to hear someone has checked it out, and that it's good. Odd location, hope they can make it. I like the building.

A couple notes on Hudson. First, they're open all day, so if someone like me (or malarkey) is drving by on the way to work and needs a coffee and pastry, its an easy off of 99. I haven't their coffee yet, however.

Pat and I stopped by on our way home from Canlis for a nightcap and I realized noted a couple things about the design of this place that are different. First, the bar is designed to hide, rather than display the liquor bottles and there are no tap handles for the beer. I'd love to know what the thinking behind this is. Also, no TVs.

#21 not-the-bad-Steve

not-the-bad-Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(tighe @ May 5 2009, 08:18 AM) View Post

A couple notes on Hudson. First, they're open all day, so if someone like me (or malarkey) is drving by on the way to work and needs a coffee and pastry, its an easy off of 99. I haven't their coffee yet, however.

Pat and I stopped by on our way home from Canlis for a nightcap and I realized noted a couple things about the design of this place that are different. First, the bar is designed to hide, rather than display the liquor bottles and there are no tap handles for the beer. I'd love to know what the thinking behind this is. Also, no TVs.

Tried them for breakfast today. For half an hour, I was the only one there. Biscuits and gravy + scrambled eggs were serviceable; orange juice was good.

Has anyone tried their burger, or their deep-fried french toast? Do tell!

#22 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(not-the-bad-Steve @ May 5 2009, 09:43 AM) View Post
QUOTE(tighe @ May 5 2009, 08:18 AM) View Post

Tried them for breakfast today. For half an hour, I was the only one there. Biscuits and gravy + scrambled eggs were serviceable; orange juice was good.

Has anyone tried their burger, or their deep-fried french toast? Do tell!

Yeah, I had the burger. No bells and whistles, but a good, straight-forward burger.

#23 Ye-Ye Girl

Ye-Ye Girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(tighe @ May 5 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post
...there are no tap handles for the beer. I'd love to know what the thinking behind this is. Also, no TVs.

The Dude + I have visited Hudson twice for breakfast and give gold stars to everything we've tried so far: housemade Bloody Mary, fresh-OJ mimosa, deep fried French toast, pulled pork omelette and shrimp+grits.

The beer taps have had the handles on both times we've been there (I only noticed b/c they had Moose Drool the first time, but not the second). Maybe they were in the middle of changing them out during your visit(s), Tighe?

#24 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(Ye-Ye Girl @ May 14 2009, 08:39 AM) View Post
...there are no tap handles for the beer. I'd love to know what the thinking behind this is. Also, no TVs.

The beer taps have had the handles on both times we've been there (I only noticed b/c they had Moose Drool the first time, but not the second). Maybe they were in the middle of changing them out during your visit(s), Tighe?

Entirely possible. I haven't been back more recently.

#25 not-the-bad-Steve

not-the-bad-Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(Ye-Ye Girl @ May 14 2009, 07:39 AM) View Post

The Dude + I have visited Hudson twice for breakfast and give gold stars to everything we've tried so far: housemade Bloody Mary, fresh-OJ mimosa, deep fried French toast, pulled pork omelette and shrimp+grits.

Thanks. What was the french toast like?

#26 not-the-bad-Steve

not-the-bad-Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(not-the-bad-Steve @ May 14 2009, 01:20 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Ye-Ye Girl @ May 14 2009, 07:39 AM) View Post

Thanks. What was the french toast like?

Not for the first time, I find myself answering my own.

My visit to Hudson this morning was an extreme disappointment. Somehow they managed to deep-fry the french toast to a deep brown without making it the least bit crispy! Also, the interior was rather dry.

Not only that, but the sausage patty I was served was the victim of profligate oversalting. I would say that its salt level was easily six times as high as it should have been. Ask my wife, I'm a tremendous salt hound. Despite that, I found myself cutting the sausage into smaller and smaller pieces and mixing it with much larger bites of french toast to make it edible. I got down to a sausage piece the size of a pea up against a mouthful of french toast, and it was *still* too salty.

I'm afraid they've lost me.

#27 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

After seeing a recent write-up, we tried Pizzeria Pulcinella in Rainier Beach this weekend. Really tasty Neapolitan style pizza. Overall, I struggle to decide whether or not I prefer it to Via Trib in G-town. Pulcinella magages to avoid the soupy/soggy middle that plagues Tutta Bella and sometimes Via Trib. Presumably because their oven is hot enough to crisp the entire crust. Overall, I think the toppings at Via Trib are of better quality, with the notable exception of killer marinated portabellos that Pulcinella uses instead of those stupid 'authentic' Italian canned mushrooms. Same owners as Vince's, a red-sauce place that has been in the valley forever.

#28 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

New sandwich/deli/shop in the Manhattan Village Shopping Center in Normandy Park. It's called Benson's Best Bites and it's pretty damn good. They've got an eclectic collection of goods. Open from 10am to 6:30pm, sammies can be ordered either hot or cold, they use Columbia City Bakery bread on most of them I believe.

So far I've tried 2 of their sandwiches (pastrami & smoked lebanon bologna) and they are pretty tasty. He also talked me into having a pickled green tomato on the side rather than a dill pickle and it was indeed better than a pickle. Nice people, good spot for this 'hood. Support them!!

I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#29 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(malarkey @ Jun 15 2009, 04:17 PM) View Post
New sandwich/deli/shop in the Manhattan Village Shopping Center in Normandy Park. It's called Benson's Best Bites and it's pretty damn good. They've got an eclectic collection of goods. Open from 10am to 6:30pm, sammies can be ordered either hot or cold, they use Columbia City Bakery bread on most of them I believe.

So far I've tried 2 of their sandwiches (pastrami & smoked lebanon bologna) and they are pretty tasty. He also talked me into having a pickled green tomato on the side rather than a dill pickle and it was indeed better than a pickle. Nice people, good spot for this 'hood. Support them!!

That sounds like a winner, thanks for the info malarkey. On top of the sandwiches, I'm happy to see they're carrying some specialty cheeses and such. Not a lot of sources for that down our way.

Another great sandwich option in Burien is Hey Paison!. Cheese steaks and other Philly-style sandwiches.

#30 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(tighe @ Jan 8 2009, 03:20 PM) View Post
Cocina el Sazon (some of their signs say Zason) is newish place in a cursed spot near my house in Boulevard Park. The specialty is Poblano dishes, including a killer mole poblano and the probably the best salsa I've had in Seattle. Get there soon if you're interested in trying it, it always seems empty and I fear for their survival. sad.gif Address is 11850 Des Moines Dr S.

They lasted a year, but alas my prediction has come true; that's the bad news. The good news is the the replacement place, Tacqueria los Tahures, is crazy good. They seem to specialize in the nasty bits and offer some of the most flavorful meats I've had, plus house made tortillas. The owner moved here recently from L.A., where he had a restaurant and a taco truck, so he should know what's up. Looked like they stayed busy during their opening weekend. This place is definitely worth a trip for the taco obsessed among and even those with just a strong interest in authentic Mexican food. Please help me keep this place in business, I can only eat but so many tacos! ohmy.gif