rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(tighe @ Nov 12 2009, 10:49 AM) View Post
QUOTE(tighe @ Jan 8 2009, 03:20 PM) View Post
Cocina el Sazon (some of their signs say Zason) is newish place in a cursed spot near my house in Boulevard Park. The specialty is Poblano dishes, including a killer mole poblano and the probably the best salsa I've had in Seattle. Get there soon if you're interested in trying it, it always seems empty and I fear for their survival. sad.gif Address is 11850 Des Moines Dr S.

They lasted a year, but alas my prediction has come true; that's the bad news. The good news is the the replacement place, Tacqueria los Tahures, is crazy good. They seem to specialize in the nasty bits and offer some of the most flavorful meats I've had, plus house made tortillas. The owner moved here recently from L.A., where he had a restaurant and a taco truck, so he should know what's up. Looked like they stayed busy during their opening weekend. This place is definitely worth a trip for the taco obsessed among and even those with just a strong interest in authentic Mexican food. Please help me keep this place in business, I can only eat but so many tacos! ohmy.gif

Mmmm, tacos.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant

#32 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(rockdoggydog @ Nov 17 2009, 02:49 AM) View Post
QUOTE(tighe @ Nov 12 2009, 10:49 AM) View Post
QUOTE(tighe @ Jan 8 2009, 03:20 PM) View Post
Cocina el Sazon (some of their signs say Zason) is newish place in a cursed spot near my house in Boulevard Park. The specialty is Poblano dishes, including a killer mole poblano and the probably the best salsa I've had in Seattle. Get there soon if you're interested in trying it, it always seems empty and I fear for their survival. sad.gif Address is 11850 Des Moines Dr S.

They lasted a year, but alas my prediction has come true; that's the bad news. The good news is the the replacement place, Tacqueria los Tahures, is crazy good. They seem to specialize in the nasty bits and offer some of the most flavorful meats I've had, plus house made tortillas. The owner moved here recently from L.A., where he had a restaurant and a taco truck, so he should know what's up. Looked like they stayed busy during their opening weekend. This place is definitely worth a trip for the taco obsessed among and even those with just a strong interest in authentic Mexican food. Please help me keep this place in business, I can only eat but so many tacos! ohmy.gif

Mmmm, tacos.

Rocky

I will have A LOT of time on my hands starting Dec 1, so let me know if you want to come down and meet for lunch sometime...

It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#33 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:33 PM

Is Columbia City considered South Siyeed?? Sorry, I'm a Ballard girl so rarely go south of the ID but today had lunch at Island Soul which was really tasty! They have all their lunch options for $7.99 or less- a shrimp po'boy , green salad and Red Stripe put me back $13 and was excellent!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#34 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:44 PM

I would include Columbia City in my definition....

Bad news, Taqueria Los Tahures closed up shop quite abruptly and mysteriously less than 2 months after opening. I'm still sad about it. No idea what happened.

#35 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

Just saw a note that a Puerto Rican restaurant is opening tomorrow in Columbia City (Hillman maybe.) On Rainier Ave. Close to Full-Tilt ice cream. Investigation required.

#36 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

Had lunch at 88 Restaurant on Delridge in White Center yesterday. I had the rice plate with grilled pork, shredded pork and a fried egg. Excellent. In terms of flavor and quality of preparation, only Green Leaf stands out in my memory as being better.

Also, a special South Siyeed programming note: as of the end of June, the South Park Bridge is going to close permanently (thanks for visionary political leadership KC & Seattle!). Unfortunately, this seriously jeopardizes the restaurants along 14th since they rely on lunch biz from Boeing across the river. If you can find the time over the summer to 'head on down to South Park' for some tacos, barbacoa, tlayuda, whatever, they could use the business.

#37 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:43 PM

Los Agaves catering (they also have a restaurant in Kent) was dishing at the El Tianguis market in Burien yesterday. Fantastic al pastor tacos. Combined with the other food vendors, the market is a worthy Sunday lunch destination.

#38 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

There is now officially only one answer to the question, 'where should I go for dinner near the airport?' Answer: Copperleaf at Cedarbrook Lodge. Much better than any other option really, especially in the immediate vicinity of SeaTac. And that's really not meant as faint praise. Pat and I had dinner there tonight and it was great. The quality of ingredients they're using is remarkable and prepartions are generally excellent (maybe a bit heavy on salt). My favorite dish was 'salmon bacon' (belly cured with brown sugar and salt, then slow roasted), served with a poached egg and melted leeks. We were comped agnolotti with truffle cream sauce, house cured lardons and squash that pure hedonistic deliciousness.

#39 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

Los Agaves was at Madrona Market too - M said the tacos were wonderful, as tighe wrote as well.

I've been eyeing Copperleaf. Seems likely a better get it while it is good destination.

#40 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:13 AM

I've been eyeing Copperleaf. Seems likely a better get it while it is good destination.

My sentiment exactly. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic, that the restaurant will survive in its current incarnation.

#41 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

Some pics of the food at Copperleaf, including different versions of a couple dishes I had. Gives a good idea of the style of food.

#42 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:35 PM

Very good review of Copperleaf in the Times today. And yes, I'm actively pimpin' this place for my own benefit.

#43 Shut Up And Cook

Shut Up And Cook

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 01:07 AM

As a fellow south sider I definitely love that we're getting more and more good restaurants down here.

I think the fish tacos at Huarachitos in Columbia City on MLK are pretty dang good and for $3/each you can't really beat it.

http://www.yelp.com/...aqueria-seattle
Please check out my blog: www.ShutUpAndCook.wordpress.com

#44 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

Another very good dinner at Copperleaf last night. One of the overdone dishes of the restaurant world, but still a favorite of mine, the braised short rib on the new fall menu is excellent. Laquered a shiny black, served with syrah reduction, potato puree, braised quince and cubes of celery root, this version rises above the standard.

#45 rockdoggydog

rockdoggydog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:58 AM

Ok, have to try soon.

Rocky
You are my Solberg, my Petter Solberg, you make me happy when skies are gray, through ice and gravel, flat out you travel, please keep (insert foe here) away .... Song of the Petter Solberg Fan Club

Dum vivimus, vivamus.
NW Vivant