27367 replies to this topic

#27316 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:52 AM

Right, the alternative (in a universe where there are still professional publications with budgets to pay writers) would be to spit the "cheap eats" beats generically:  maybe Latin, Southeast Asian, Chinese, etc.

You know, at least The Times's Hungry City writers usually have the grace to present their explanations of the cuisines they treat as information they got from the subject restaurant's chef or owner rather than as their seemingly limitless existing personal knowledge.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#27317 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:03 AM

To annoy Mongo even more, let me tell three stories about responses to the New York branch of Indian Accent that really annoyed me.

First, I dropped in once when I had time to kill before a concert at either Carnegie or City Center.  I was sitting at the bar having a cocktail and a snack when, to my surprise, a bunch of my friends passed by on their way to a table.  I couldn't join them because, as I said, I was on my way to a concert.

I was surprised to see them there because these are people who don't usually do fine dining.  The person who chose the restaurant is sort of a Chowhound follower.  When I subsequently asked him how he had liked it, he said, "It wasn't what I expected.  I chose it off Yelp because it got high grades and said it was Indian.  I wasn't expecting something so fancy and expensive.  It's sort of misleading."

Second, I once ran into someone I know at a Carnegie Hall matinée.  It turned out we both had an evening show at City Center.  She suggested we grab a drink together in between.  I suggested Indian Accent.

We sat at the bar.  I looked at the list and ordered a cocktail.  The cocktails there look very good -- and, in fact, are very good:  some of the better restaurant cocktails in New York, to my mind.  She didn't even open the list and ordered a Kingfisher.

Our drinks came.  She looked at mine.  "That looks very good," she said.  "Can I have a taste?"  She had a taste.  "Oh, that's delicious!" she exclaimed.

"I was surprised you didn't even look at the beverage menu," I said.

"This is an Indian place," she said.  "I thought all you could order was beer."

Third, that person, now a convert, then tried to take a friend of hers to Indian Accent after another Carnegie Hall concert.  "I don't want an Indian place," her friend snapped when they got there.  "I want a restaurant."

"I tried to explain," my acquaintance added when she told me what had happened.  "But she wouldn't listen."

Bar Loser

MF Old

#27318 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,430 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:07 AM

To annoy Mongo even more, let me tell three stories about responses to the New York branch of Indian Accent that really annoyed me.

First, I dropped in once when I had time to kill before a concert at either Carnegie or City Center.  I was sitting at the bar having a cocktail and a snack when, to my surprise, a bunch of my friends passed by on their way to a table.  I couldn't join them because, as I said, I was on my way to a concert.

I was surprised to see them there because these are people who don't usually do fine dining.  The person who chose the restaurant is a sort Chowhound follower.  When I subsequently asked him how he had liked it, he said, "It wasn't what I expected.  I chose it off Yelp because it got high grades and said it was Indian.  I wasn't expecting that.  It's sort of misleading."

Second, I once ran into someone I know at a Carnegie Hall matinée.  It turned out we both had an evening show at City Center.  She suggested we grab a drink together in between.  I suggested Indian Accent.

We sat at the bar.  I looked at the list and ordered a cocktail.  The cocktails there look very good -- and, in fact, are very good:  some of the better restaurant cocktails in New York, to my mind.  She didn't even open the list and ordered a Kingfisher.

Our drinks came.  She looked at mine.  "That looks very good," she said.  "Can I have a taste?"  She had a taste.  "Oh, that's delicious!" she exclaimed.

Third, that person then tried to take a friend of hers to Indian Accent after another Carnegie Hall concert.  "I don't want an Indian place," her friend snapped when they got there.  "I want a restaurant."

sounds like you need new friends.

Future Legacy Participant.

#27319 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:08 AM

I was surprised to see them there because these are people who don't usually do fine dining.  The person who chose the restaurant is a sort Chowhound follower.  When I subsequently asked him how he had liked it, he said, "It wasn't what I expected.  I chose it off Yelp because it got high grades and said it was Indian.  I wasn't expecting that.  It's sort of misleading."

Third, that person then tried to take a friend of hers to Indian Accent after another Carnegie Hall concert.  "I don't want an Indian place," her friend snapped when they got there.  "I want a restaurant."

Am reminded of the NYLIfe motto.  

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#27320 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:13 AM

Why do you think I post here?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27321 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:22 PM

Why do you think I post here?

Well, I’m pleased that Michael and I are two of your “old” friends, both age-wise and otherwise. And, by the way, we love Indian Accent.

#27322 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:25 PM

I thought you can only order spatlese at Indian restaurants.

#27323 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

It has been ten months since we began using the new fridge. Its water filter is supposed to be replaced every six months, supposedly. I read that in the manual only last week. The filter is, like printer ink, expensive, in this case $50. And lovely spouse never changed her fifteen-year-old previous fridge's water filter.

But I ordered a new cartridge, which arrived yesterday. This morning, I read the fridge manual very closely. The filter cartridge screws into a hinged, horizontal socket directly under the top of the compartment, slightly above the level of my face. The replacement steps begin with running the water dispenser for two minutes to clear any air from the line to avoid possible spurts, which I did. Nowhere did it say to turn off the fridge's water supply before removing the old filter. I figured there'd be a few drips, so I brought along a napkin.

Thbbft!

An hour later, two-thirds of the fridge interior, and its contents, and one of the French door's shelves and their contents, were never cleaner. It's not like I routinely clean the fridge, so I have cheerfully considered this a lemons-to-lemonade opportunity.

Except that tomorrow the building's water tower gets its annual cleaning. So even though after any other building water shutoffs, I always run a faucet preceding the fridge in the branch line before restoring the fridge's water, so we don't get multicolor ice cubes, some crap will probably get into my brand-new filter.

Here's to the next New Year's and its new filter.

#27324 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:39 PM

Ive just deleted every annoying food instagrammer on my account... I hate them, they are ruining food, or at least reflecting this shitty fake food culture,  none of them eat the food, care about the food, or know anything about food.. this ripping apart shit with their hands, drowning stuff in cheese, promoting gimmicky disgusting food combinations,  is just too much for me..  I swear, it makes me so angry, i don't know why but, it's an easy fix for me.   We had an item get a million views the other day, we received 100 new followers... I have had someone with hundred of thousands of followers post several spreads, nothing happens.. it doesn't translate to dollars, or business or anything.  it's just too much, nobody cares, we are all so numb to everything.   I had this guy write to me the other day and asked me to pay him a 100 bucks to come eat one of my sandwiches.   I am getting old. fuck everyone. bah humbug i hope an electric pulse sends us back to the days of analog.. if anyone needs me, hit me up on my pager.  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#27325 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:50 PM

I’m trying to build a business the Old Skool way and it’s fucking hard. People don’t want content— and certainly don’t care about integrity.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27326 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:02 PM

Integrity is the new four letter word - and most disheartening it began in my former 25-year profession - the media.

#27327 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:54 PM

I don’t think the Old Media have lost integrity so much as that it’s not part of the New Media’s model — and there’s really no demand for it.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27328 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

Agreed, but the old media is rapidly dying off.

#27329 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,799 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:26 PM

You're absolutely right.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#27330 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,023 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:21 AM

Playing devil’s advocate, if someone thinks they’re going to an “Indian restaurant,” without further explanation or context, I’m not surprised they expect an “Indian restaurant” where you get a Kingfisher with your chicken tikka masala.