27367 replies to this topic

#27331 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,969 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:16 AM

But what about Indian Accent would make you think that (other than the name)?  I mean sit at that bar and look around:  both at what's behind the bar and what the rest of the room looks like.  And if they give you a beverage menu, maybe bother to look at it.

As for the Yelper, I don't know what Yelp reviews are like:  don't read them.  But if they don't tell you enough to understand what kind of restaurant Indian Accent is, then they're even more useless than I think.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#27332 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,969 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:45 AM

But also, shouldn't people like NOT make those assumptions any more?  That food by brown or yellow people has to be cheap and unsophisticated?  Why should we keep tolerating that any more than we should keep tolerating other racial or gender or ethnic stereotypes?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#27333 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:03 PM

The woman at the bar might have been more perceptive; I was referring to expectations. And while neither Indian nor Chinese food has to be cheap or unsophisticated, the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of an Indian or Chinese restaurant not being fancy or expensive.

#27334 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,969 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:06 PM

In the New York Meridian Hotel?  On 56th Street?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#27335 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:30 PM

Ha, okay.

#27336 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,870 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:00 PM

In China and my sleeping is horrible. I checked into this fancy hotel room for my last night. It has everything, electric curtains an open floor plan, 18 foot ceilings, ornate decor, plush carpeting and three mosquitos. I killed two, there is one left that circles passed me every 35 minutes. I have missed every time. I have watched it since 130 this morning and has kept me up. It is now 6 am. I have been averaging 3 to 4 hours for the last 10 days. Going to be at 11 and waking up around 3:30 for the day. Today I’m only going to be working on 2.5. But it’s a travel day so, I don’t know. Landing in New York at 6 pm and then making my way over to cook at a concert by 8 pm. It’s going to be a doozy
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#27337 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:27 PM

Biking home from work in basically a convection oven.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#27338 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,870 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:07 AM

A thrilling end to the mosquito event. As I was walking out of my room, the mosquito presented itself and flew into an open closet by the door. I closed the closet on my way out.

#27339 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 12:58 AM

What concert?

#27340 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:22 AM

A thrilling end to the mosquito event. As I was walking out of my room, the mosquito presented itself and flew into an open closet by the door. I closed the closet on my way out.

Do realize that she may live there for, like, forever.    I have a mosquito who has taken up permanent residency in an off-bedroom closet.   Gone for days, then....ZAP!

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#27341 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,003 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:24 AM

Life span of a male mosquito is 10 days.  Female 42-56 days.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#27342 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,870 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:02 AM

We have a booth at the prospect park bandshell and have been doing the concerts there three days a week until August 10th.

Update to the mosquito. I felt guilty about trapping it in there. I imagined how miserable I would be. So, I didn’t have time to kill it so, I let it out of the closet on my way out of the room.

#27343 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:07 AM

I bought two fancy new (refurbished) fan/purifiers. They are so fancy, I can't figure out how to open the shipping boxes. So much for breathing clean air tonight.

#27344 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 01:18 PM

Just think how clean the air is inside those boxes!
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#27345 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 11:13 PM

my son left the freezer open while he was sneaking ice cream this morning, and while I caught him with the ice cream the open freezer wasn’t noticed until dinner time. dinner turned out to be a nice piece of lone mountain inside skirt that he defrosted. so dinner turned out to be a lot better than the leftovers I had planned, but loosing a freezer full of leftovers is pretty fucking annoying.