27387 replies to this topic

#31 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:45 PM

Being afraid to switch my elderly computer off in case it decides never to boot up properly again :(

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#32 StephenT

StephenT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:45 PM

Went to see the Wildlife photographer of the year exhibition at the Natural History Museum. Halfway through was the "how we affect nature" (or whatever) category which was basically pictures of dead and exploited animals. Put me off for the rest of the exhibition. I worry about that shit too much in my own time to have it thrust on me in the middle of trying to see some happy and picturesque stuff. Fuckers.

#33 galleygirl

galleygirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:14 PM

Shopping for lovely, sweet crisp green beans...The woman who was maintaining a cellphone conversation throughout her shopping trip had planted herself in from of them, and oh so casually, sorted thru them, while being totally oblivious to "Excuse me"s, reaching, invading her space....
My most extreme pet-peeve....So amazingly rude...Even the aroma of galleygirl, fresh from the gym, didn't make her move, or mis a word.... :blink:
Bistrodraw Illustration

Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?

#34 dilettantepicure

dilettantepicure

dilettantepicure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:42 PM

When the bible-thumpers come a knockin' - I just tell them I'm a Jew. Jew, jew, jew I say. Usually they back away.

If this doesn't work, I add "goin' straight to hell and there's nothing you can do to stop me."

My advice is - try it even if you're not a jew! It's just plain fun.

Really now - if you're going to knock on my Torah-strewn doorpost, wadaya want? ;)
Many are cold, few are frozen.

#35 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:52 PM

Most of the gym tv screens non-functional, so the decide to play Robbie fucking Williams and Cher on the two remaining screens. Fuckers.

Jehovah's Witnesses, ask 'em if it is true that they get their own planet to rule, once they are dead and also how come if the places in this paradise are so limited why are they re-cruiting? Fuck with there brains, I say. Appologies to all JW's.

#36 dilettantepicure

dilettantepicure

dilettantepicure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:57 PM

My new cowboy boots hurt my feet. I know I have to go through a breaking-in phase, but in the meantime my left pinky toe is cursing at me non-stop.

OK Omnivorette - I just hit REPORT and told our leader what you need to do with your boots!

Take them to a shoemaker and have her put them on THE STRETCHER (an ancient form of boot-torture thought to have been outlawed but in actuality is still practiced by many independant shoemakers.) This simple and inexpensive proceedure should do for the outsides of your footbeds what 5 years of wear would slowly and painfully accomplish.

I did it to my cowboy boots after a week or so of the suffering you describe. Think of it this way - much as you love them - the boots are NOT alive. It will not hurt the boots.

and Wilfred - now you know what to do with your boots, too. (This isn't a three-strikes-you're-out site, is it?) ;)
Many are cold, few are frozen.

#37 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:26 PM

There is no such thing as matzoh ball soup. There is chicken (or I suppose it could be something else) soup with matzoh balls. Soup does not get its flavor from matzoh balls. Grrrrr.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#38 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:00 PM

When the bible-thumpers come a knockin' - I just tell them I'm a Jew. Jew, jew, jew I say. Usually they back away.

Heh. A college pal had a never-fail tactic for dealing with Moonies. When anyone in an orange toga asked, "Are you familiar with the Reverend Sun Myung Moon?" Phil would reply, "Yeah! That son-of-a-bitch killed my dog!"
You're only as good as your grease.

When working with high heat, the first contact between the cooking surface and the food must be respected.

-- Francis Mallman

#39 oraklet

oraklet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 07:45 AM

another "annoyances" thread. grrrr.

#40 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:01 AM

Damn Danish. Bakery has run out of the again.

Stupid British people and their obsession with queuing. If there is a bus, then get on it.

#41 oraklet

oraklet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:07 AM

Damn Danish. Bakery has run out of the again.

Stupid British people and their obsession with queuing. If there is a bus, then get on it.

hey, i'm danish, damnit!

continued grrrrr.

#42 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:14 AM

Hence, the joke. Bada bing!

#43 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:27 PM

Ill-mannered Australians who don't understand what queuing is.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#44 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2004 - 04:09 PM

Ill-mannered Australians who don't understand what queuing is.

Look you ex-pat, I was waiting for the bus, approaching bus clearly viable from stop for about 200 metres. I stand at bus stop. Bus stops. I get on bus, pay money, driver says "Ah only huv room fur ye laddie". Stupid binner behind me claims, in that face of all evidence, that she was "There before him". Driver tells her to get off, entire stupid British population of bus looks at me like I am several types of filth, simply because there is a hint that I may have broken the 'queue' rule. Userly I am the only person to give up seats to the odour challenged and those burdened with pin-head brats. Never again.

#45 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:19 PM

You'll have to explain to me why this is my fault. But do it gently, because I came on this thread to post about the relentless, hammering ice cold rain.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.