10306 replies to this topic

#16 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:49 PM

Liza, That song you mentioned a while back (you asked if you were crazy to like it), the band's name escapes me, well it's on the radio all the time now and now I like it. (They remind me of Meatloaf, and the song's about Luv, of course.)

Is that the vaguest messsage ever or what?
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#17 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:21 PM

ARRGh. If I had my brain I'd know what you're talking about. But I don't.
But I'm glad you like the song. Whatever it is!
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#18 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:50 PM

Wasn't it that long-haired glam/heavy/retro rock band whose video I can't seem to avoid? Called something like The Dark or The Darkness?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#19 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:01 PM

Wasn't it that long-haired glam/heavy/retro rock band whose video I can't seem to avoid? Called something like The Dark or The Darkness?

The Darkness: I believe in a thing called Love

A huge hit in the UK last year

They have had to de-campify their act a bit for the US market where people don't like their Rawk N' Roll with any hint of irony

S

#20 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:10 PM

Oh shit, that's the de-campified version?
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#21 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 02:11 AM

The husband is convinced the baby liked Aphex Twin. On the other hand, I think he likes the MJQ & Johnny Hodges.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#22 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 03:39 PM

Oh the joys of parenthood - my munchkin said "Ramones" for the first time. She also managed to write my name, but the "Ramones" thing was really exciting.

Soon I expect I'll be able to get her to say "Sex Pistols".
Elect-a-lujah

#23 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:40 PM

Parsifal-Levine and Bayreuther Festspiele, 1985

The Prelude still amazes me.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#24 Robert Schonfeld

Robert Schonfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:30 PM

"Chicago, The Blues Today, Vol. 1" A great disk with which to practice the harmonica. One of the few I rarely put away.
They're really rockin' on Bandstand.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advocating integrated avatars and sig lines since 2006

#25 oraklet

oraklet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:47 AM

last night went through 4 j.j.cale cds. it's so straight pure plain basical music. unadorned. even though he's just saying the same thing in 100 slightly different ways.

i've learned that infants prefer mozart to bach. and the boys (12/14) like the doors :blink:

#26 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:00 PM

"Miles and Miles of Texas", Asleep at the Wheel
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#27 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:31 PM

A craving for early Springsteen - dunno why - led me to purchase The Wild, The Thingy and the E-Street Shuffle. Or whatever. Quite wakes you up in the morning, I must say.
Elect-a-lujah

#28 jinmyo

jinmyo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:27 AM

A moment ago: Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time.

Now Wire live at Metro, Chicago, 14th Sept, 2002. This is a free CD one gets for purchasing Read and Burn 01 from their website.

"Chew-ing
makes youuu
an-xious..."
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#29 ngatti

ngatti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 05:10 AM

Been following this young lady (really a young *girl*) since summer 03. Her career seems about to break through into the big leagues. There're some mp3s on the site.

edit: BTW; McKay is pronounced McKai (rhymes with tie)
yer 'avin' a larf, mate

#30 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 08:10 AM

a chum of mine used to be in Scrittti Politti and is now working with Green again, so sent me some rather fun demos

Prompted me to go and listen to the first three albums in heavy rotation. The Sweetest Girl remains one of the great songs about Heroin ( Heroin being the first, natch ) and how can you not love a person who writes about Jacques Derrida and write such lines as

"to err is to be human, to forgive is too divine
I was like an industry, depressed and in decline"

S