709 replies to this topic

#16 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

If they were, they were some exquisite corpses.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#17 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Mar 11 2009, 01:22 PM) View Post
They may be looking at you, but they're talking about Peggy.

Yea, I know. It was just wishful thinking.

#18 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:57 AM

Did anyone foresee three Bruni stars in Minetta Tavern's fate?
“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.” – Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

the ulterior epicure

#19 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE(ulterior epicure @ May 19 2009, 09:57 PM) View Post

I am more stunned than I have been about any Bruni rating. Only 6.8% of Eater's 497 voters predicted this outcome.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#20 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE(oakapple @ May 20 2009, 02:59 AM) View Post

I am more stunned than I have been about any Bruni rating. Only 6.8% of Eater's 497 voters predicted this outcome.

Wait. Are you stunned because you've been, and you don't agree with Bruni's assessment? Or, are you stunned because Eater's voting public couldn't predict Bruni's rating?
“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.” – Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

the ulterior epicure

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:13 AM

Holy fucking shit.

Look, I've eaten there and liked it.

That's a three-star restaurant like my kitchen is a three-star restaurant.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ May 20 2009, 03:13 AM) View Post
Holy fucking shit.

Look, I've eaten there and liked it.

That's a three-star restaurant like my kitchen is a three-star restaurant.

Yeah, I'm not a New Yorker, and I've never eaten at Minetta Tavern. But I was sorta kinda surprised.

the ulterior epicure

#23 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:42 AM

granted it has been 10 years since I've been there, but this surprises the hell out of me.

edit: ok, nevermind, I didn't realize it had undergone a Keith McNally makeover.

#24 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(ulterior epicure @ May 19 2009, 11:01 PM) View Post

Wait. Are you stunned because you've been, and you don't agree with Bruni's assessment? Or, are you stunned because Eater's voting public couldn't predict Bruni's rating?

Sorry for the ambiguity.

I have indeed been to Minetta Tavern, but it was only for a burger at the bar. On the basis of that burger, excellent though it was, I couldn't guess what the rest of the food would be like. But the menu didn't strike me as a "three-star menu," if you know what I mean. They serve a lot of bistro standards, and even if they were perfectly executed (which apparently Bruni thinks they are), I can't think of a modern precedent for awarding three stars to that type of place. Also, it seems to be a slimmed down version of the Balthazar menu, and no one has ever suggested that Balthazar was unfairly rated at two stars.

I cited the Eater poll merely to emphasize that practically no one saw three stars coming. I suppose that's the other reason why I'm stunned. All of Bruni's other three-star restaurants were, in a sense, predictable. That doesn't mean we agreed in every case, but they were types of restaurants where you knew this outcome was possible. This is the first one I can think of that just came out of nowhere.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#25 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:19 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the main theme of the review - that Minetta Tavern is one of the city's top steakhouses - came out of nowhere.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:10 PM

Right. Although not having had the steak, I feel like I almost can't contest it. I've read other people -- it must have included Ozersky -- say that their steak is about the best in the City. But I just counted it as hype.

(Unlike like comments you might read about Ssam Bar.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(oakapple @ May 20 2009, 12:18 PM) View Post
QUOTE(ulterior epicure @ May 19 2009, 11:01 PM) View Post

Sorry for the ambiguity.

I have indeed been to Minetta Tavern, but it was only for a burger at the bar. On the basis of that burger, excellent though it was, I couldn't guess what the rest of the food would be like. But the menu didn't strike me as a "three-star menu," if you know what I mean. They serve a lot of bistro standards, and even if they were perfectly executed (which apparently Bruni thinks they are), I can't think of a modern precedent for awarding three stars to that type of place. Also, it seems to be a slimmed down version of the Balthazar menu, and no one has ever suggested that Balthazar was unfairly rated at two stars.

I cited the Eater poll merely to emphasize that practically no one saw three stars coming. I suppose that's the other reason why I'm stunned. All of Bruni's other three-star restaurants were, in a sense, predictable. That doesn't mean we agreed in every case, but they were types of restaurants where you knew this outcome was possible. This is the first one I can think of that just came out of nowhere.

Like Sripraphai is two stars predictable.

I mean, it's wonderful Thai food but two stars is a bit of a stretch.

I haven't been to Minetta Tavern yet so I can't really compare notes. However I have been to genuine NYC three-star establishments however so I do know the sort of food that would generally warrant such praise. Some more than once.

I can't imagine bistro food warranting a traditional 3-star rating unless it were some place in Paris transplanted molecule for molecule here.

#28 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

I'm going next week. I eat steak perhaps once a year. Guess it's time for another one.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#29 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:43 PM

Sripraphai's two stars were predictable in light of the Times tradition stretching back at least as far as Ruth Reichl to award two stars to the unprepossessing Asian restaurants serving the very best food of their type at the time. Among the recipients of these two-star awards have been New York Noodletown, Ping's Seafood, Oriental Garden, and Spicy and Tasty. In light of those awards, the two stars for Sripraphai were predictable. (Of course, many and perhaps most board posters -- although not me -- think this particular tradition is invalid.)

It's interesting that to support an award of three stars to Minetta Tavern, Bruni went out of his way to characterize it as a steakhouse, not a bistro. I think he agrees that bistros don't get three stars. But steakhouses have.

I think the shock that many of us who've been there had at the review is that it hadn't occurred to us that Minetta Tavern was a steakhouse and not a bistro.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#30 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ May 20 2009, 05:43 PM) View Post
I think the shock that many of us who've been there had at the review is that it hadn't occurred to us that Minetta Tavern was a steakhouse and not a bistro.

Another Bruni blunder?
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid