709 replies to this topic

#31 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:59 PM

I don't know if I'd call it a blunder so much as a stretch.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#32 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:04 PM

The menu doesn't read like a steakhouse's menu
http://www.menupages...minetta-tavern/

It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#33 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

Thing is, I've never had the steaks. Maybe this was a piercing insight, that if you go beneath the look of the menu and consider what they're really doing, it's a steakhouse. Or, to put it another way, that whatever their intention might have been, the restaurant best functions, and is best used, as a steakhouse.

(I mean, there's no question in my mind that next time I go, I'm ordering a steak -- and if it's really all that, I'll have Bruni to thank for pointing me to it.)

Too bad he couldn't tell that Grayz was really a restaurant, though.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#34 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,673 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ May 20 2009, 06:04 PM) View Post
The menu doesn't read like a steakhouse's menu
http://www.menupages...minetta-tavern/

That menu doesn't seem representative of the current menu (according to Bruni's review). No cote de boeuf or sttrip steak listed, just the 'tavern steak'.

I agree it's probably a stretch to call the place a steakhouse though.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#35 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

Assuming the beef is as good as claimed, I don't have a problem with his approach. It's the same way I treated Craft for years... as a steakhouse with above average sides, etc. The review actually makes me want to visit, though not badly enough to take a 6:00 or 10:00 table.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#36 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(Steven Dilley @ May 20 2009, 06:10 PM) View Post
Assuming the beef is as good as claimed, I don't have a problem with his approach. It's the same way I treated Craft for years... as a steakhouse with above average sides, etc. The review actually makes me want to visit, though not badly enough to take a 6:00 or 10:00 table.

Interesting, I've never seen Craft as a steakhouse; more of a place that does meat (but not steaks, in the traditional sense), game, and fish (appetizers mainly) very well.

#37 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ May 20 2009, 05:15 PM) View Post

Interesting, I've never seen Craft as a steakhouse; more of a place that does meat (but not steaks, in the traditional sense), game, and fish (appetizers mainly) very well.

Oh, it's definitely not a steakhouse. But I would use it as one.

Not so much these days... for one, I don't go nearly as often, and when I do I tend to sample the menu a bit more.
Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#38 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(Steven Dilley @ May 20 2009, 06:28 PM) View Post

You mean in the sense to tank up on loads of meat?

#39 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ May 20 2009, 05:32 PM) View Post

You mean in the sense to tank up on loads of meat?

Yeah, they always had good beef on the menu. And above average sides. They still have great beef, just a smaller selection.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#40 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ May 20 2009, 06:07 PM) View Post
Maybe this was a piercing insight, that if you go beneath the look of the menu and consider what they're really doing, it's a steakhouse.

No, it's just wacky and unhelpful. It suggests a limited menu of mostly grilled meat (plus the odd lobster) which is clearly not what MT offers. The steak might be wonderful; it might even be the best reason to go. But that doesn't make it a steakhouse and anyone going and expecting a Sparks/Smith&Wollensky/Keens/Luger experience is going to be surprised (pleasantly if they don't like steak).
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#41 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:36 AM

My sense is that it's not a steakhouse, but a bistro whose best dishes, according to Bruni, happen to be steak. On a substantial menu, apparently just 2 or 3 dishes are steaks. Yes, the next time I go, that is what I'll try.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#42 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(yvonne johnson @ May 20 2009, 06:15 PM) View Post

Er, Craft is an Italian restaurant. Have you not been paying attention all these years? laugh.gif

Certainly I agree that Craft can be treated as a steakhouse - how ironic that Craftsteak falls so far short in that category - but I was immediately struck by the thought that...

And did you expect that Mr. McNally, with the chefs Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson, would come up with the best steakhouse in the city? That’s what Minetta Tavern turns out to be.

...was a kind of quirky overstatement. But having no data, other than Oakie and his burger, I kept my peace for once.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#43 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE(oakapple @ May 21 2009, 01:36 AM) View Post
My sense is that it's not a steakhouse, but a bistro whose best dishes, according to Bruni, happen to be steak.

Exactly.

Or, steak, steak, and burger.
“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.” – Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

the ulterior epicure

#44 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

Not so much these days... for one, I don't go nearly as often, and when I do I tend to sample the menu a bit more.

I agree with this analogy. The steakhouse concept is the best possible ingredients prepared simply. That is the same with Craft. Colicchio hardly invented anything, he simply realized that the steakhouse concept could be expanded to lobster, pork and lamb . . . and the sides could be better.

#45 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(Ron Johnson @ May 21 2009, 07:21 AM) View Post
The steakhouse concept is the best possible ingredients prepared simply. That is the same with Craft. Colicchio hardly invented anything, he simply realized that the steakhouse concept could be expanded to lobster, pork and lamb . . . and the sides could be better.

Is that really the steakhouse concept? I mean, a steakhouse is just a place that serves primarily steaks—whether they're the best possible is a whole other question. Outback is a steakhouse.

Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal