38 replies to this topic

#31 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

We have a reservation at noon today for a party of 5. Unfortunately the outside area is not open but they are putting us at a window table.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#32 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

Thoa's was better than expected and I wouldn't object to going back. I think Long is better and Green Leaf is significantly better.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#33 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:50 PM

Thoa's was definitely better than expected. I'm not sure that I thought Long was better. I had the grilled pork bowl and the spring rolls in it were better than the one's at Long. The decor and ambiance at Thoa's is much better than that at Long. I didn't see our favorite spring roll or bahn xeo on the menu at Thoa's. Definitely minuses in my book.

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#34 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

Geez, they don't let you have lunch OR happy hour on the deck? What are they saving it for?

#35 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

Update: Rich and Peggy had lunch here yesterday and ate on the deck. He said there were some residents out there as well. Sunbathing laugh.gif

#36 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:19 AM

Noticed A&O has put out some tables on the sidewalk. That must be pretty darn hot in the evening.

#37 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

Paul and I decided to have an early dinner on Ponti's deck last night. It was a perfect place to go on a night like last night - watching all the boats come in from their long weekend away. Our martini's were well made and hit the spot. We shared a burger and a caesar salad. The burger was good - on a brioche bun. The fries, not so good. They were described as being topped with 'sweet fennel salt' and tasted like they were sprinkled with sugar! The salad was just fine. Our server was perfect. So perfect that we even commented on it. We were, by far, the youngest people there and she was so sweet to everyone - helping them in and out of their seat, complimenting them, taking their pictures, etc.

#38 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

I had a great lunch with a girlfriend the other week on the patio at Browers in Fremont. Also had brunch with some friends on the deck at Maximilien in the Market. And Bastille has little tables set outside the Back Bar door, not under the patio roof but out in the open.

Maybe the last nice sunny day to sit outside today!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#39 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Paul and I decided to have an early dinner on Ponti's deck last night. It was a perfect place to go on a night like last night - watching all the boats come in from their long weekend away. Our martini's were well made and hit the spot. We shared a burger and a caesar salad. The burger was good - on a brioche bun. The fries, not so good. They were described as being topped with 'sweet fennel salt' and tasted like they were sprinkled with sugar! The salad was just fine. Our server was perfect. So perfect that we even commented on it. We were, by far, the youngest people there and she was so sweet to everyone - helping them in and out of their seat, complimenting them, taking their pictures, etc.

Sorry to quote myself but I needed to show tighe that last night wasn't the first time that I'd said nice things about Ponti.

We took my family to dinner there last night. We wanted to be relatively close to home, somewhere with a view, where everyone could hear each other and where the food wasn't too challenging. Last time we went to Ray's Cafe and even my Mother complained about the food.

The patio was full but we had a nice table by the window. The service bordered on precious but still professional. Most of the food was quite good. We had steamed mussels, as well corn cakes with smoked salmon and creme fraiche to start. Both were well recieved. Next there was tomato bisque, an heirloom tomato salad and a caesar salad. Again, no complaints. For mains, I had pan roasted cod and Paul had grilled halibut. Both preps were good but the fish was over cooked. My brother had the salmon which he said was cooked perfectly. My Mom's significant other had a seafood pasta dish. He ate it all but said the shrimp was over cooked. The winning main was my Mom's sablefish. It was lightly smoked and cooked perfectly. I think it's the best sablefish prep I've had. We ordered a cheese plate, the special nectarine tart and the molten chocalate cake for dessert. When the desserts came, our server had accidently ordered the cheesecake instead of the cheese plate. So we got to try that too! The cheesecake was chalky and not very good but the others were servicable. The cheese plate was better than than average. They have a decent wine list. Not huge but not all new world wines either. They've been there, under the same ownership, for 23 years. That's really saying something.