• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 JomtienCafe

JomtienCafe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

I have to go to New York next month for a week or so, so I want your recommendations on New Yorks best pizza places, I don't mind traveling in New york as there is a lot I want to see anyway, but I want the best pizza New York has to offer smile.gif

All the best.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,734 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

DiFara in Midwood, Brooklyn, is the best by-the-slice pizza in New York City, at least that I know of.

But you have to put up with A LOT of inconvenience to get it. Not just traveling there, but waiting forty-five minutes to an hour and a half to get a slice -- even if it doesn't seem that crowded.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,535 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:48 PM

Besides pizza are you going to regular Italian restaurants? I find it really interesting you have an Italian Restaurant in Thailand.. Are you Italian, is your cook Italian, what made you open an Italian Spot.. I would love to hear about your place.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#4 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

You might also want to check out this thread.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#5 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(JomtienCafe @ Apr 14 2009, 01:09 PM) View Post
I have to go to New York next month for a week or so, so I want your recommendations on New Yorks best pizza places, I don't mind traveling in New york as there is a lot I want to see anyway, but I want the best pizza New York has to offer smile.gif

i saw this post and thought "troublemaker!" laugh.gif but...no one is arguing what the best pizza is? only one vote? everyone agrees?

DiFara is definitely an experience and very good pizza

i'll add Franny's for excellent buffalo mozzarella margherita and clam pies (also in brooklyn but whether it's prospect heights or park slope may depend on who you ask laugh.gif just kidding, prospect heights)

in manhattan, you're on your own, although if you want a taste of NY pizza silliness swing by Artichoke on east 14th st. or Una Pizza Napoletana on 12th nearby so you can decide for yourself whether it is "the best" or "a joke"

happy eating!

PS skip Co. unless you're after "dogshit"* aka pizza bianca

*as described by owner & baker of said pizza bianca
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#6 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(nuxvomica @ Apr 14 2009, 03:08 PM) View Post
QUOTE(JomtienCafe @ Apr 14 2009, 01:09 PM) View Post

i saw this post and thought "troublemaker!" laugh.gif but...no one is arguing what the best pizza is? only one vote? everyone agrees?

Probably not, but everyone is too tuckered out from Easter and (still) Passover to think much about pizza. laugh.gif

DiFara is definitely an experience and very good pizza

i'll add Franny's for excellent buffalo mozzarella margherita and clam pies (also in brooklyn but whether it's prospect heights or park slope may depend on who you ask laugh.gif just kidding, prospect heights)

in manhattan, you're on your own, although if you want a taste of NY pizza silliness swing by Artichoke on east 14th st. or Una Pizza Napoletana on 12th nearby so you can decide for yourself whether it is "the best" or "a joke"

happy eating!

PS skip Co. unless you're after "dogshit"* aka pizza bianca

*as described by owner & baker of said pizza bianca

What, not Adrienne's? wink.gif Very convenient to sights at the tip of Manhattan, like the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island/Staten Island ferries.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#7 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Apr 14 2009, 07:43 PM) View Post
What, not Adrienne's? wink.gif Very convenient to sights at the tip of Manhattan, like the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island/Staten Island ferries.

for the views, maybe but you only really want the whole rectangular pie. the individual round i had there once was fine ( seemed different crust) but not as good as the big one. neither will change your life.
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#8 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

I like my thin crust crisp and with integrity (i.e., doesn't slide apart when you point it down to get the excess oil off), and thought DiFara's was very good but not worth the schlep.

I like Joe's better, and it's the most convenient and by the slice. You can always fit in a slice from Joe's.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/joes-pizza/

Little Italy Pizza on 33rd just east of 5th is also ver good.

#9 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,449 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:02 PM

Joe's by the slice is probably one of the best slices in Manhattan.

Bleecker St. Pizza does a very highly regarded Nonna and Grandma slice.

Artichoke is silliness and a waste of time.

But if there's more than 1 of you going to get a few slices, you're better off getting a whole pie at one of the better
pie places...Franny's, Arturo's, Patsy's, the new Keste, UPN, etc.

#10 greenspace

greenspace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

interesting re: the contra kids:

https://sf.eater.com...d-san-francisco

------------------------------

“We wanted a higher level of culinary discourse”

"I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning."

#11 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:15 PM

good, I miss his pizza.

#12 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:08 PM

OMFG. The pizza I had there back in April was incredible, better than at his former New York location. Glad he's moving back.

#13 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,449 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Certainly looking forward to this.

There's gotta be more to the story, with Jeremiah and Fabian involved.  I think that where this is allegedly going to be, originally was slated to be their wine and liquor store.

#14 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:36 AM

DiFara in Midwood, Brooklyn, is the best by-the-slice pizza in New York City, at least that I know of.

But you have to put up with A LOT of inconvenience to get it. Not just traveling there, but waiting forty-five minutes to an hour and a half to get a slice -- even if it doesn't seem that crowded.

Were we ever so young? And so innocent?

#15 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

Sneak is eternally young.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table