163 replies to this topic

#91 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:08 PM

Although if you want them to understand New York slice pizza, having no place to sit down and enjoy yourself is a big part.

That's probably why I never became a pizza lover.

#92 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,872 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:18 PM

I have been curious about Pat and Joe’s, a Staten Island original, Which opened a restaurant and pizza parlor in Manhattan recently. From what I’ve seen photo wise, it looks even better than the original. And they have a full Italian food menu as well
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#93 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:36 PM

JTF: There's a dumb "trick" to ordering at New Park, which is that you have to ask for your slices "well done" or else they come out as you described. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but if you're out that way (at Rockaway Beach, for example), I'd advocate for trying it again.

I agree with Daniel that Prince Street and Mama's Too should be included in any discussion of great NYC pizza. Neocon, I don't know if Prince Street delivers, but I'm sure your friends' hotel would be in range if they do.

Daniel: the EV Joe and Pat's is very good (though can't say if it's better than the original). I liked it better than the WV branch of Denino's.

#94 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:49 PM

Prince St bakes only square slices? Mama's TOO looks interesting [reviewed by Wells for The New York Times!], and I'll recommend for the next time he goes up to Columbia.

Are Rubirosa and Joe & Pat's fairly similar in atmosphere?

#95 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:32 PM

Prince St. bakes both types of slices.  But, as Ori has said, their classic is loaded with pepperoni. And it's full of pepperoni oil

I just think if you're bringing a couple of kids, going as a family, then John's or Arturo's is your best bet.

#96 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,852 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:57 PM

Is Totonno's still a thing?

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#97 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:10 AM

If you don’t want to run down the street folding the slice in half and trying to keep the oil off your shirt, I too vote for Arturo’s.

#98 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:35 AM

she’s still there. I tried to go last summer and she took one look at me and quoted a 90 minute wait for one of the empty tables.

#99 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:00 PM

This is why she’s an icon. I only go with children 😆

#100 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,872 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:58 AM

Just for the record I’ve eaten a slice of santillos every day since Friday. I’m a better person for it
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#101 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:46 PM

I go to Totonno's once or twice a year - it's still quite good. But never go in the summer, or when there's a game at that field.

Rubirosa is practically impossilble to get into.

#102 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:33 PM

she’s still there. I tried to go last summer and she took one look at me and quoted a 90 minute wait for one of the empty tables.

I have no explanation for how well I was treated on my last visit. I showed up alone, sandy and damp from swimming 2,500 feet away, was promptly served and almost as promptly ate the entire luscious pizza, then to my horror discovered I'd lost the cash I'd brought for the day. When I swim alone I carry only money, a Metrocard, and keys in a zippered pocket. She shrugged it off and agreed I could pay the next day.

#103 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:58 PM

wilf - I was with my kids.

#104 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:05 AM

wilf - I was with my kids.

I got lucky then.

#105 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:02 AM

Some of you may be interested to learn what became of my friend when he decided to bring his skateboard to New York.