460 replies to this topic

#451 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,389 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:31 PM

BTW, again was able to use CSR for my first night at Aria. $159 (plus tax and resort fee) and got back $100 in food credit and 2 free breakfasts (up to $60 for two).

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#452 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:45 PM

Agree that Edo is a better experience than Jaleo.

And, re Blue Ribbon-Blue Ribbon Sushi is now open at Red Rock Resort. Certainly not the same experience as you find at Kabuto or Yui. But very good for what it is.

#453 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,438 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:19 AM

Holstein is alright given how it could be, no?

Yes indeed. And it doesn’t have the 30 minute wait that Gordon Ramsay’s burger counter commands. Bobby Flay’s Burger “Palace” is usually empty, perhaps because it’s disgusting.

#454 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,438 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 04:23 AM

@mitchells Blue Ribbon is a good tip, at least for the ambience. Thanks.

I am at a conference next week where I estimate the crowd to be 8,000 plus. This means even the huge resort staging it will be a zoo, and every restaurant and bar will be booked for private parties.

Still scarred from last year, this time I have two dinners planned out of the resort, one off the strip. Phew.

#455 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,438 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 02:28 AM

8,000 nuts, actually 16,000. Ended up with nachos at Gilley’s late last night because hotel restaurants slammed.

Have better plans for tonight and Thursday.

#456 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,438 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:52 AM

Twist. Not bad in an old-fashioned formal hotel style. Nothing about the food really says Pierre Gagnaire, but it’s almost fiddly enough to justify the price.

I don’t think I’ve ever had smoked haddock in a fine dining place before, but with crisped squid legs it was good. (A flavor of my childhood; the haddock that is). The foie gras was just really enjoyable. I was comped a lobster/pumpkin dish which didn’t really need pumpkin. Venison was fine, could have been a bit more generous with the civet. Cheese plate was psychedelic: the Gorgonzola ice cream was good, but I’d rather have had more cheese. Desserts, three or four so it didn’t matter I didn’t like them all. Jam tarts, though.

The place was barely a quarter full. The captain was superb and had little to do except please me, especially when I let some interest and understanding show. Substitutions, comps. Another positive, beyond the staggering pomp of the Bordeauxs and Burgundies, the wine list had many very worthy country wines, correctly priced in the $45 to $60 range. Really. I was much happier with a juicy Lirac in that range that with the $30 btg options (or the pairings).

#457 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,438 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:04 AM

Sparrow + Wolf. Yes, I got off the strip. This is located on that road with countless Asian restaurants. Sleek, busy, mainly good service (slow on the wine).

I’d been eating on the road, well and badly, often heavily for three weeks. So my reaction here was that, although there was a lot going on with the dishes (bonito flakes here, edible ash there, preserved this and that), it was still a very clean tasting, fresh and light meal.

Then I will contradict myself by saying the skate wing was Flinstone sized. The skate was good, and the warm ocean parfait to start, with sea urchin and smoked trout roe was excellent. Being off the strip meant that Chablis was $15 a glass, not $39 or some other random tourist rip off price.

I was with someone who insisted on dessert :D

Nice place. Keen to try the nearby Partage.

#458 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,438 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:07 AM

Previous night, an okay green salad with mozzarella (could have made at home) and braised beef over polenta, with two poor glasses of red wine was around $100 at the very on strip Factory Kitchen at the Venetian.

#459 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,438 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:08 AM

Not back here until June, how will Vegas survive without me?

#460 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:57 PM

The cocktail I started with was the "Tea Thyme"- Jameson Black, lemon, Earl Grey ginger syrup, thyme tincture. Nicely balanced, and not too sweet.  I loved the warm Ocean Parfait. My main-a special of the evening- lightly seared U10 scallops, perfectly cooked. Accompanied by braised daikon, topped with the aforementioned bonito flakes and shreds of nori. There is a reason I am known as "The Enabler"  :cool: ...dessert was a Vanilla Bean Pavlova (if you are dining with me, and there is a dessert with meringue on the menu, expect it to be a given that I will be ordering it  :P ). Served with yuzu-bergamot curd, citrus confit and Thai basil. Very good. Although the meringue could have stood a bit more drying time in the oven.

#461 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,438 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:26 AM

The daikon was very good. I just had an end of day classic martini.

Hadn’t eaten meringue in a long time.