13 replies to this topic

#1 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

I have some silicone spatulas, some are Le Crueset, some are cheaper versions. I've noticed recently that a few of them are giving off a soapy plastic smell when I use them. It's fairly strong, and gives off a flavor as well that lasts awhile as I regrettably found out when using one to do a taste test of something I was making.

ok, this has to be bad, doesn't it? I'm on the verge of throwing them away. I initially thought it was just soap residue and that I hadn't washed them thoroughly, but I still get the odor/flavor after a rewash.

I did a search on Google looking for info, but nothing turned up. Has anyone else experienced this? These have worked fabulously for many years, it's only been recently this has started to happen. Does silicone 'break down' after awhile??
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,234 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(malarkey @ Apr 26 2009, 02:55 PM) View Post
I have some silicone spatulas, some are Le Crueset, some are cheaper versions. I've noticed recently that a few of them are giving off a soapy plastic smell when I use them. It's fairly strong, and gives off a flavor as well that lasts awhile as I regrettably found out when using one to do a taste test of something I was making.

ok, this has to be bad, doesn't it? I'm on the verge of throwing them away. I initially thought it was just soap residue and that I hadn't washed them thoroughly, but I still get the odor/flavor after a rewash.

I did a search on Google looking for info, but nothing turned up. Has anyone else experienced this? These have worked fabulously for many years, it's only been recently this has started to happen. Does silicone 'break down' after awhile??

One of my older silicone spatulas started to shred after I used it to stir some items in a pot on the grill. There was an oily smell, and then I tossed it.

I'm guessing that higher heat changes some of the moelcular structures and caused mine to shred

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman

#3 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

I thought about this topic for a while knowing that it could not possibly be about breasts enhancements malfunctions.
"I mispoke."

#4 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,204 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

It's my understanding that, in either case, silicone can break down over time and start to separate from itself. Personally however, I have only observed this in its most external applications.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#5 Miguel Gierbolini

Miguel Gierbolini

Advanced Member

• Members.
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

No x-rays?
"I mispoke."

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,204 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:30 PM

The Silicone Story

In silicone bakeware, the quality of the silicone makes all the difference. Cheaper products made using plastic fillers can impart an odor during baking and generally do not offer the performance of better-quality bakeware. To see if fillers are used, simply twist other brands, if the plastic turns "white-ish", that item has fillers -- avoid it!

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#7 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE(malarkey @ Apr 26 2009, 02:55 PM) View Post

I had this happen with a brand-new El Cheapo silicone fish turner when I was sauteeing flounder filets over medium-high heat. It put that plastic smell right into the fish. I threw out the spatula & don't use silicone any more.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#8 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Apr 26 2009, 03:30 PM) View Post
The Silicone Story

In silicone bakeware, the quality of the silicone makes all the difference. Cheaper products made using plastic fillers can impart an odor during baking and generally do not offer the performance of better-quality bakeware. To see if fillers are used, simply twist other brands, if the plastic turns "white-ish", that item has fillers -- avoid it!

yes, I found that link as well during my search. But mine don't show 'white-ish' on twisting. I'm thinking they are garbage, though. I can't use them like this.

There are quite a few stories about people using silicone bakewear that gave off a bad smell/flavor, but I've only used the spatulas.
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#9 SeaGal

SeaGal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(malarkey @ Apr 27 2009, 12:36 PM) View Post
The Silicone Story

yes, I found that link as well during my search. But mine don't show 'white-ish' on twisting. I'm thinking they are garbage, though. I can't use them like this.

There are quite a few stories about people using silicone bakewear that gave off a bad smell/flavor, but I've only used the spatulas.

Ok, now I feel compelled to go sniff my silicone spatulas........
Jan
Seattle, WA USA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."
--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

#10 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,204 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE(malarkey @ Apr 27 2009, 03:36 PM) View Post
The Silicone Story

i had this problem with a new silicone bathmat. it was very expensive and very stinky and not even boiling water could cut the stench.

~Jack Handey

#11 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(SeaGal @ Apr 27 2009, 03:55 PM) View Post
QUOTE(malarkey @ Apr 27 2009, 12:36 PM) View Post
The Silicone Story

Ok, now I feel compelled to go sniff my silicone spatulas........

Mine was so obvious it didn't require any up-close sniffing.
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#12 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Apr 27 2009, 01:44 PM) View Post
QUOTE(malarkey @ Apr 27 2009, 03:36 PM) View Post
The Silicone Story

i had this problem with a new silicone bathmat. it was very expensive and very stinky and not even boiling water could cut the stench.

I personally have stopped bathing in boiling water.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#13 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:46 PM

I don't understand this mass exodus from using metal forms for baking. All those bakers who are influenced by the bakeware of the minute will soon be returning to the metal fold.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,234 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE(joiei @ Apr 27 2009, 07:46 PM) View Post
I don't understand this mass exodus from using metal forms for baking. All those bakers who are influenced by the bakeware of the minute will soon be returning to the metal fold.

I think some of the exodus derives from the use of non-stick pans and pots. I have both silicone and metal spatulas (spatulae?) on my pegboard, depending on which pots I'm using.

“Jazz musicians just get better and better as the years go by. I think chefs are the same way. You know who you are.”

...Jonathan Waxman