Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:53 AM

Good session today with my trainer

All lower body, core stability and lower back

Jumps ( involving starting from a seated position on a bench and leaping to a standing position on a raised step ) 3 sets of 20

Step ups - with 12kg in each hand - 3 x 100 each leg

3 sets of 20 x dead lifts

3 sets of 20 x leg extensions

3 x 20 dips with a 1 second hold at the drop.

3 x 20 back extensions on the swiss ball

10 min cool down run

Lots of banter about me being 40. Bastard, but I got the sess for free as a pressie

#32 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 05:56 PM

Been jogging recently, though I have to push my running partner in a stroller. Completely screws up the running part and lord knows what my stride looks like, but it works. Jack sits comfortably in the jogging stroller and I pant and push and run whilst holding a safety tether.
Cathy has reminded me of my upper body workout: lugging a stroller in and out of a car a few times a day with intervals of carrying a squirming 20-pounder around, INCLUDING lifting that 20 over the head many times while saying "Weeee!!!!
Truthfully, I count the days until swimming season starts when I can get a mile or so in the morning.

Bravo to you, SM, by the way.
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#33 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:46 AM

Same work out as friday, plus Simon's lower back exercise.

#34 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:03 AM

How did you find the back workout Adam?

Today, a gentle workout called "twos"

2 mile run at 8minute mile pace
2 mile row @ 38 spm
2 mile on the eliptical machine

Burns about 700 calories

Inbetween, I did some balance and core stability workout using the balance ball and by doing The Plank

Harmless, but need to raise it a bit tomorrow

S

#35 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:07 AM

How did you find the back workout Adam?

Felt like a complete dickhead actually. Couldn't have been a pretty sight for the general public, that is for sure. Still any sacrifice to look "Hot".

#36 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:12 AM

Still any sacrifice to look "Hot".

It's a gym mate not Lourdes!

#37 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:29 AM

The stupid thing about the back work out thing is that my endorphin bloated system kept on dubbing in David Attenbough narration; " Look at how the magnificent bull elephant seal arches his back to display a healthy covering of blubber to demonstrate health to potential mates". Bastard wild life presenters.

#38 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:32 AM

The stupid thing about the back work out thing is that my endorphin bloated system kept on dubbing in David Attenbough narration; " Look at how the magnificent bull elephant seal arches his back to display a healthy covering of blubber to demonstrate health to potential mates". Bastard wild life presenters.

Now I am almost officially old, I have been having similar thoughts. The bit where he goes

"now, one of the elderly male members of the herd becomes separated. The lions wait patiently.............."

As for looking stupid in the gym, I should not worry about it. whenever I feel like that, I just look around me of the people struggling and all with paunches and I realise they all feel the same way too

S

#39 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 10:38 AM

Yeh that is true. One of the great advantags of going to the gym at 6:30 AM is that all the chaps are old bastards, and as my body compares well against most 65 year olds in terms of skin tone, body hair and wrinkles, I feel pretty good in terms of body image. There is the occasional buff pensioner though and that is just unfair.

#40 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:37 AM

I am usually in the gym 6-6.30am and what shocks me is how many of the guys in their late 20/30's are hideously out of shape paunches etc.

The prblem they all face is that they treat exercise as a quick fix and come in for a few weeks, huff and puff on the treadmill until they go an extraordinary colour, life weights that are far too heavy to try and look macho ( all with shitty technique ) and do a few back breakingly bad sit ups and think they are doing themselves any good. Then they pick up a cold, get disheartened and disappear never to be seen again.

The key, I think is good education. it is worth spending a few quid with a trainer to get some basic techniques and advice.

The key lessons I learned are

1) You don't need to be dripping in sweat to have had a good workout
2) You don't need to lift heavy just properly. I have put on more muscle since I reduced my weights and concentrated on technique
3) You have to train at least 4 times a week to progress
4) It doesn't work if you don't have a reasonable diet. The two go hand in hand
5) Weights are as important to weight loss as CV. One burns fat, the other builds up lean muscle which burns more calories from fat over a longer time
6) DON'T DO CRUNCHES - I can do '000 at a time, but have had more results from 6 months of core stability work
7) Don't beat yourself up if you miss a sesssion/overeat. just get back on the schedule the next day
8) Keep challenging yourself. as in life, boredom is the killer. Build about 4 or 5 different programmes that you rotate as time and your body advise

Fitness is a marathon not a sprint. You will see results quickly to begin, but then plateau. it happens to all of us. But, with regular changes of routine and some hard work, the benefits can be amazing

S

#41 Guest_Adam_*

Guest_Adam_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:54 PM

You've been spying on me haven't you? <_<

#42 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:31 PM

What's core stability work please?
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#43 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:33 PM

http://www.brianmac....uk/corestab.htm

#44 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:51 PM

Thanks. Looks complicated, but it's interesting: I need to find some way of exercising the trunk and abdomen other than - as you say - crunches, because the arthritis does not smile upon crunches.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#45 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:59 PM

Thanks. Looks complicated, but it's interesting: I need to find some way of exercising the trunk and abdomen other than - as you say - crunches, because the arthritis does not smile upon crunches.

just published a book on it

pm me an address and I shall send you one

S