415 replies to this topic

#16 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

IMHO the new McGee is well worth it, even if you have the old one, as I do. Also, get the Kennedy -- everyone should have all of hers.

I really want that Monica Bhide, too.
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#17 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:59 AM

I love the Lebovitz book - I know I've referred to it quite a bit on the Ice Cream thread. My copy is speckled with ingredient drips, has lots of pieces of paper sticking out as bookmarks, and has lots of handwritten notes.

You must try is butterscotch butter pecan ice cream. It's out of this world.
Future Legacy Participant.

#18 H. du Bois

H. du Bois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

The Lebovitz book is next on my list (as recommended to me on the ice cream thread!), as is Suzanne Goins' Sunday Suppers at Lucques. That's despite the fact that two of her recipes posted on the web have nearly led me astray - one a misprint, I think. Almost every recipe I've ever seen of hers calls my name though, and that's a rare thing.

#19 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

Of course, when I went to Borders today with my 40% coupon, The Perfect Scoop wasn't available. Their signs ask patience for their re-organizing, but we all know what that means. Over the last year, their stock has been reduced through attrition - hardly any CDs or DVDs, especially of TV shows, many books I am searching for are available only by ordering, and any day now I expect the whole second floor to be dark with everything pushed together on the first floor. Then, bankruptcy court here they come.

I've been taking advantage of all the 20%, 30%, and 40% coupons they pass me getting books for the grand-kids stored up for gifts. But today I used the 40% for Monica Bhide's book.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#20 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE(H. du Bois @ Jun 21 2009, 11:43 AM) View Post
The Lebovitz book is next on my list (as recommended to me on the ice cream thread!), as is Suzanne Goins' Sunday Suppers at Lucques.

I picked up Sunday Suppers at Lucques today.

#21 H. du Bois

H. du Bois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:16 AM

Oooh - do tell me if you think it's worth it.

#22 joiei

joiei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE(Lippy @ Jun 28 2009, 07:05 PM) View Post
QUOTE(H. du Bois @ Jun 21 2009, 11:43 AM) View Post
The Lebovitz book is next on my list (as recommended to me on the ice cream thread!), as is Suzanne Goins' Sunday Suppers at Lucques.

I picked up Sunday Suppers at Lucques today.

I read through most of Perfect Scoops at lunch at Jaspers in Plano on Saturday. I will be making ice creams starting this week.
"Love ya once, love ya twice, love ya more than beans and rice"

#23 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(H. du Bois @ Jun 28 2009, 08:16 PM) View Post

So far, the pictures are gorgeous.

#24 KRamsey

KRamsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(Lippy @ Jun 27 2009, 11:51 AM) View Post

So far, the pictures are gorgeous.

Everything I've made from Sunday Suppers was superb.

Now I want that ice cream book.

I really want "The New Steak" by Cree LeFavour, and I'd love to read Fuschia Dunlop's memoir.

#25 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:52 AM

If the devil's chicken thighs that I made tonight (even skipping a couple of ingredients in the marinade) is any indication, this is a keeper. I often make my own version of this dish, which I like a lot, but this one is better, although more time-consuming.

#26 H. du Bois

H. du Bois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

Looks like it's book buying time for me!

#27 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

I'm going to make something else from the book tonight, because it's so new and I was so pleased last night, but my impression is that the recipes may be too rich for me (always dieting) for everyday eating. Real restaurant cooking -- not complex, like the French Laundry book, but probably a book I'll use more when I'm cooking for company than just the two of us.

#28 H. du Bois

H. du Bois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

Oh, I agree (and for the same reasons). The recipes I've found of hers online are definitely in the company category. I'll be so happy the day that someone comes out with a cookbook for cooking fabulous food lightly (I've been looking online, and most chefs give that type of cooking a wide berth).

#29 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(Lippy @ Jun 30 2009, 07:59 AM) View Post
I'm going to make something else from the book tonight, because it's so new and I was so pleased last night, but my impression is that the recipes may be too rich for me (always dieting) for everyday eating. Real restaurant cooking -- not complex, like the French Laundry book, but probably a book I'll use more when I'm cooking for company than just the two of us.

Yes she certainly isn't shy with butter and oil - sometimes her recipes use eye-popping amounts of both. I'm really enjoying cooking my way through the book, if you haven't already, check out the thread devoted to the cookbook.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#30 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,651 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(H. du Bois @ Jun 30 2009, 07:08 AM) View Post
Oh, I agree (and for the same reasons). The recipes I've found of hers online are definitely in the company category. I'll be so happy the day that someone comes out with a cookbook for cooking fabulous food lightly (I've been looking online, and most chefs give that type of cooking a wide berth).

also, apart from the richness issue, when you have to do so much prep it isn't worth it to cook for just two people. i can't figure out how to scale complex recipes down that much, and eating leftovers with diminishing returns doesn't seem worth it given the starting cost.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson