Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:41 PM

truly You are german Now.

NIIIIEEEEEMAAAAALLLLSSS!!! 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#408 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,161 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:08 AM

https://www.newyorke...serial-monogamy

Bar Loser

MF Old

#409 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:31 AM

Since we're here (for a little while longer), and since I like cookbooks as souvenirs from our travels, and since I've bought cookbooks in French and in Italian in the past and found them a pain in the ass to actually use, and since I figured a cookbook in Basque would be even more annoying to use:

32229692598_1a09daacf3_z.jpg

#410 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,610 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:00 AM

I was re-reading the original Nose to Tail by Fergus Henderson this week, partly because he’s mentioned in the terrific memoir in my signature. Not only do the recipes work, but the writing is hilarious. Simon Hopkinson with a very mischievous twist. Ingredients misbehaving. A classic.

#411 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,533 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:28 AM

Recently purchased "The SAS World-Wide Restaurant Cookbook." Published in 1960 when the Scandinavian Airlines Systems was considered one of the world's great carriers, this book re-prints famous recipes from the world's finest restaurants during that time period.

Thirty-five plus countries and 60 plus cities are represented - the entire flight plan of SAS at the time. It was purchased for $4 at the online thrift shop and it is one of the top cookbooks ever written and published IMO - will be cooking from this for years.

Urge everyone to pick up a copy - not just for the recipes but for the intriguing narrative and reviews as well.

#412 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

I was Jonesing for William Lediuiel's Bouillons but couldn't rationalize paying €35 for a handful of recipes on which all the rest of the book was based.     Googled to find that someone had done the cherry-picking for me.  

https://www.vanityfa...m-ledeuil/23732

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#413 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,047 posts

Posted Today, 11:02 AM

I was Jonesing for William Lediuiel's Bouillons but couldn't rationalize paying €35 for a handful of recipes on which all the rest of the book was based.     Googled to find that someone had done the cherry-picking for me.  

https://www.vanityfa...m-ledeuil/23732

For some reason, I'm having trouble reading this.

On the other hand, I started leafing though a bunch of my (already purchased) cookbooks, the Middle Eastern and Mediterranean stuff I have - and there's plenty of them. Reason - well, I want to be inspired and cook more of this stuff over the ensuing warmer months. More grains, more room temp foods, etc. etc. You know, the healthy stuff.

Anyway, I pull a few books off the shelf, including The Complete Middle East Cookbook, by someone named Tess Mallos. I don't recall when or where I bought it, but it was bought used and stuck on a shelf, and may not have even been opened by me in the past however many years.  It's about the food of the 19 countries listed below:

Greece

Cypus

Turkey

Armenia

Syria

Lebanon

Jordan

Iraq

Bahrain

Kuwait

Saudi Arabia

UAE

Qatar

Oman

Yemen

Egypt

Iran

Afghanistan

Isn't there a country (or two, perhaps) missing from this list?

#414 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted Today, 02:06 PM

I hear you but you're young,    I already have some 35 running feet of cookbooks, a d-i-l who doesn't cook and a son who is interested but has no time.   So I cherry pick some recipes of current interest, print them out including photos and binder them.   I try to test them in real time and toss those that don't male the cut.   

Just trying to cut down on the eventual "big garage sale".  

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.