Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 30 2009, 10:57 AM) View Post
QUOTE(H. du Bois @ Jun 30 2009, 07:08 AM) View Post
Oh, I agree (and for the same reasons). The recipes I've found of hers online are definitely in the company category. I'll be so happy the day that someone comes out with a cookbook for cooking fabulous food lightly (I've been looking online, and most chefs give that type of cooking a wide berth).

also, apart from the richness issue, when you have to do so much prep it isn't worth it to cook for just two people. i can't figure out how to scale complex recipes down that much, and eating leftovers with diminishing returns doesn't seem worth it given the starting cost.

I agree, except that once in a while I feel like doing it. What I find chef's or restaurant cookbooks useful for is inspiration, new flavor combinations, new ingredients, that kind of thing. It would have to be a very special occasion, indeed, for me to make one of her menus in its entirety, but one dish as part of a simpler meal is fine.

#32 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Abbylovi @ Jun 30 2009, 10:50 AM) View Post
check out the thread devoted to the cookbook.

That's what inspired the purchase.

#33 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Jun 30 2009, 10:57 AM) View Post
QUOTE(H. du Bois @ Jun 30 2009, 07:08 AM) View Post
Oh, I agree (and for the same reasons). The recipes I've found of hers online are definitely in the company category. I'll be so happy the day that someone comes out with a cookbook for cooking fabulous food lightly (I've been looking online, and most chefs give that type of cooking a wide berth).

also, apart from the richness issue, when you have to do so much prep it isn't worth it to cook for just two people. i can't figure out how to scale complex recipes down that much, and eating leftovers with diminishing returns doesn't seem worth it given the starting cost.

pretty much every dish in this book consists of several components. And you don't need to make the whole to enjoy clever components within their own right. And use them in your everyday cooking for two people.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#34 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(helena @ Jun 30 2009, 11:30 AM) View Post
pretty much every dish in this book consists of several components. And you don't need to make the whole to enjoy clever components within their own right. And use them in your everyday cooking for two people.

Yes, exactly my impression. Even last night, I didn't bother with the braised leeks that are part of the whole dish.

#35 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE(Cathy @ Jun 17 2009, 10:35 AM) View Post
What memesuze said about Dorie and Andrea.

If you like to grill, Seven Fires is a must.

I'd already started plopping a cast iron pan on my Weber last year,and Seven Fires has given me lots more more inspiration.A tip of the hat to Serious Barbecue,by Adam Perry Lang,as well....
Stung by Nettles

#36 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,868 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

I was giving Seven Fires as a bday present and gave the book to a friend who I think is preparing something from the book while I am away.. Looking forward to seeing what she comes up with.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#37 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

So what's on all y'alls' Christmas/holiday wish lists?

off the top of my head, I think I want Momofuku, Ad Hoc, The Craft of Baking, New Classic Family Dinners (by Mark Peel of Campanile).
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#38 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(GrantK @ Nov 19 2009, 03:15 PM) View Post
So what's on all y'alls' Christmas/holiday wish lists?

Grant, I liked Helena's recommendation of Jeremiah Tower's book.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#39 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:08 PM

I was not prepared to like Momofuku and got it for the steamed buns only; but leafing through the book i found quite a few interesting ideas.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#40 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:57 AM

I know I'm receiving Ad-Hoc. Not sure what else.
Future Legacy Participant.

#41 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,433 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:47 AM

Just realized that the John Besh book is my list as well. I picked up the new Larousse last month. Haven't had time to look at it yet (I have the edition from the '80s)
Future Legacy Participant.

#42 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE(bloviatrix @ Nov 19 2009, 10:47 PM) View Post
Just realized that the John Besh book is my list as well. I picked up the new Larousse last month. Haven't had time to look at it yet (I have the edition from the '80s)

I have the new Larousse on my wishlist. Please tell what you think of it when you get a chance, esp. how it compares to the '80s version (which I find nowhere near as useful as the one from 1961).

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#43 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

Oh yeah, definitely the Besh book!

Which Jeremiah Tower book, Peter?

What about that Coco book?
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. It’s a lonely world when you’re just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. That’s why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women — another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#44 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,461 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

I have the two previous Larousse volumes and would like the current one in theory. I paged through it a bit the other day and liked what I saw, but I strongly suspect that taking out of the library for a couple of weeks will suffice, at least until it lands on the remainder table.

#45 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(GrantK @ Nov 20 2009, 05:15 AM) View Post
Which Jeremiah Tower book, Peter?

Grant, It is Jeremiah Tower Cooks: 250 Recipes from an American Master.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .