174 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

We may not have Bruni to kick around much longer, and it's not like we've overlooked Adam Platt in the past, but maybe it's time he had his own thread.

From his review of Table 8:

Nowadays, we prefer to anoint humble artisans (David Chang, April Bloomfield) who have slaved for suitable periods of time in anonymous kitchens around town.

link (emphasis added)

Around town? Bloomfield's only U.S. gig before the Spotted Pig was at Chez Panisse. Maybe "around town" includes Berkeley.

Anonymous? Pre-empire, Chang cooked at Mercer Kitchen, Craft and Cafe Boulud.

Think before writing? Hell, no!
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:59 PM

It's nice to see you have a transition plan but I suspect that Platt alone won't provide enough grist for the mill.

Frank will be hard to replace.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#3 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

Adam Platt is the worst critic in town, based on incompetence multiplied by influence. Restaurant Girl is less capable in the absolute sense, but her perch at the Daily News is much less visible than Platt's at New York. Everyone I've ever spoken to in the industry considers Bruni & Platt the one–two punch of NYC reviewing.

Bruni, at least, has a solid background in journalism. He has made the occasional error, but he's Woodward or Bernstein compared to Platt, whose writings are full of howlers almost every week. The other distinction is that Bruni, at least, does find things to cheer about. I don't always agree with his choices, but at least when Bruni is excited, he leaves you with no doubts about his enthusiasm. Platt never seems to like much of anything.

Quite apart from his poor writing, his world-weariness, and his abominable sense of style, Platt, like Bruni, comes to the job with no particular background in food or the culinary arts. He also shares with Bruni very little interest in traditional luxury dining. So it's unsurprising that their verdicts are very highly correlated, although Bruni's reviews are practically always better written. It very rarely happens that Bruni loves a place that Platt hated, or vice versa.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#4 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:17 PM

if he keeps saying stuff like this, he'll do just fine:

Aspiring chefs who arrive in New York with dreams of fame and fortune tend to plot their paths to greatness in one of two ways. Most slink into town anonymously, at a relatively young age, and work their way up the greasy kitchen pole, from commis to sous-chef to restaurant chef to superstar. Then there are those poor deluded souls who attempt to ride into the city from the provinces in mid-career, with their reputations preceding them and all guns blazing. The second path, as out-of-town chefs from Alain Ducasse (from the province of Paris) to Gordon Ramsay (from the province of London) have discovered, is infinitely more precarious.

“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#5 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

Platt won a Beard award this year, so the honchos at NYM are no doubt pleased with themselves.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#6 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:38 PM

Perhaps I need to re-read Platt more closely. I've always thought of him as Bruni without alliteration and less Italy-centric.

I also don't read him as frequently.

PS. Marc/Wilf -- I need to add your blogs to my daily reading list. I always say I have to but then it slips my mind. angry.gif

#7 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:07 PM

Oh, likewise, likewise... tongue.gif
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#8 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE(Lex @ Jun 22 2009, 04:59 PM) View Post
It's nice to see you have a transition plan but I suspect that Platt alone won't provide enough grist for the mill.

Frank will be hard to replace.

Barney or Bruni - or Barney Bruni?

Wait wrong thread - I thought I was posting on cool couples. blush.gif

#9 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

Prior to Jean-Georges, Mario, and the rest of the preening super-chefs of the recently concluded go-go years, great cooks rarely opened more than two restaurants in a lifetime, and usually both were in the same town.

Marea review

I salute the author's versatility. This is not merely wrong, but could be wrong in a number of different ways, depending on what he means.

The "recently concludes go-go years" is a marvellously elastic phrase, but of course it's not commensurable with the careers of Vongerichten or Batali in any meaningful way. They have each been "preening super-chefs" for something over ten years now, and their careers reach back further - during which time the economy has circled through several booms and recessions. But taking the broadest view, Platt is suggesting that chefs rarely opened more than one or two restaurants prior to the mid-1980s, which is just not especially true. It is true that customers took less notice before the 1980s.

And then, of course, there's "opened." Simple enough, surely, but does he mean literally opened, or does he mean owned? Because if the former, professional chefs have been opening successive restaurants (often in different countries) throughout their careers since at least the time of Escoffier.

Elect-a-lujah

#10 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

Josh Ozersky has a delicious take-down of Platt and his dumb review. This cannot have been easy for Ozersky, because his job is about relationships, and he seldom rats on the people who give him access. Here he had to choose between his friend Michael White and his friend Adam Platt, and he decided to throw Platt under the bus.

Everything Ozersky says about Platt is entirely correct, although it is long overdue. Platt has been an embarrassment from the day he arrived:

A critic is in a difficult position; take it from me, I used to be one. You can’t just write about how peas taste every week. You need to come up with a story, a moral, an overarching narrative. Frank Bruni comes up with a different one each week, creating sociological sketches out of the dining scene. Platt has the same one every week, blowing taps for the great restaurant tradition of the past.

Ozersky is giving Bruni a tad more credit than he deserves. Some of his review memes are awfully contrived, and he too is no fan of traditional luxury dining. But Bruni at least is able to recognize these places when they are done right (e.g., Corton), a talent Platt has not mastered.

I have to admit that I don't think Marea is the second coming of Le Bernardin (my blog review here), so in some ways I am sympathetic to Platt's conclusion, if not the way in which he reaches it.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#11 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

Quantum theory isn't predictable or logical? My.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#12 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Jun 22 2009, 08:48 PM) View Post
We may not have Bruni to kick around much longer, and it's not like we've overlooked Adam Platt in the past, but maybe it's time he had his own thread.

what's MF going to without Platt after Bruni? laugh.gif

RG barely gets picked on anymore
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,820 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

RG has gone from absurd to boring.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:17 PM

RG no longer writes her own reviews. It's either that or she practiced really really hard and got lots better. Maybe if I practice really really hard I could play point guard in the NBA.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#15 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

Platt gets "weirded out" by fish. That was pretty funny.
Elect-a-lujah