182 replies to this topic

#16 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

This is funny, but it is also a bit sad. Two days ago, Josh Ozersky lit into Adam Platt for his review of Marea, which was three stars, but damned the place with faint praise. This put Ozersky in a bind, because he's a close friend of both Platt and Marea chef Mike White. He decided to call out Platt for being the incompetent nut that he is.

Now today, he is walking it back. It's too bad, because he had it right the first time. It also highlights Ozersky's conflict of interest. His livelihood depends on access, so he can't call a spade a spade.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#17 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

Judging by the comments appearing under the retraction post, it hasn't really helped much.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#18 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Ozersky should be ashamed. First, he pens a poor, albeit deserved, attack piece on Platt, which served to piss off Platt supporters, then he backs up on it thereby pissing off Platt haters. Congratulations Joe, you managed to unite the foodie community.

#19 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(Ron Johnson @ Jul 8 2009, 05:12 PM) View Post
Ozersky should be ashamed. First, he pens a poor, albeit deserved, attack piece on Platt, which served to piss off Platt supporters....

I don't think he apologized because "Platt supporters" were pissed off. I think he apologized because Platt himself was pissed off.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#20 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(oakapple @ Jul 8 2009, 05:24 PM) View Post
Ozersky should be ashamed. First, he pens a poor, albeit deserved, attack piece on Platt, which served to piss off Platt supporters....

I don't think he apologized because "Platt supporters" were pissed off. I think he apologized because Platt himself was pissed off.

I don't pretend to know WHY he did either thing, just that he did both and that was stupid.

#21 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

Indeed: same outcome.

See why I started a Platt thread? cool.gif
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#22 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:05 AM

nobody wants to piss off a critic, least of all restaurateurs and chefs who will continue being reviewed by the critic. don't want the critic to think they put a friendly blogger up to it either.
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#23 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(Ron Johnson @ Jul 8 2009, 05:31 PM) View Post

I don't pretend to know WHY he did either thing, just that he did both and that was stupid.
I would bet A LOT of money it has something to do with getting free meals.

#24 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(AaronS @ Jul 9 2009, 09:41 AM) View Post

There are times I wouldn't mind having Ozersky's access. There are also times I am glad I don't have it.
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#25 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE(AaronS @ Jul 9 2009, 01:41 PM) View Post

free meals are not hard to come by for someone like Josh. it's the relationships one doesn't want damaged
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#26 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(oakapple @ Jul 9 2009, 09:54 AM) View Post
There are times I wouldn't mind having Ozersky's access. There are also times I am glad I don't have it.

Doesn't it come down to whether or not one would like Josh's job? He doesn't pretend to be offering a consumer service as a restaurant critic. He works for Barry Diller and CitySearch, and his job - I presume - is to drive traffic wherever they want traffic to go. The access, the videos, the interviews, the inside information surely promote that main purpose, in a way that anonymous restaurant reviews almost certainly would not.
Elect-a-lujah

#27 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,955 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

Having his job would be like having my job.

I'd enjoy the benefits, but I wouldn't be particularly comfortable about what I'm doing.

Big deal. Lots of people live with that.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#28 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Jul 9 2009, 10:29 AM) View Post

Doesn't it come down to whether or not one would like Josh's job?

There are various people who have "access" similar to Josh's, without having his job. No, I would not want his job.

He doesn't pretend to be offering a consumer service as a restaurant critic.

He sort of does. There are various write-ups on his site that are labeled "reviews" with him as the author. You and I know that he is not a "critic" in the same sense that Bruni is a critic. I am not sure if everyone knows that.

He works for Barry Diller and CitySearch, and his job - I presume - is to drive traffic wherever they want traffic to go.

I believe it is a bit more nuanced than that. In a broad sense, Barry Diller has the same objectives as the New York Times Company: to make money. The Times employs Bruni because it believes people will buy newspapers and visit their website to read his reviews. That does not mean that the editor tells Bruni where to have dinner every night. Likewise, I think Ozersky has considerable latitude to write about the places that interest him—however he decides that (great food, chef's a friend, dinner is free...or whatever).
Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#29 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE(oakapple @ Jul 9 2009, 11:08 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Jul 9 2009, 10:29 AM) View Post

Doesn't it come down to whether or not one would like Josh's job?

There are various people who have "access" similar to Josh's, without having his job. No, I would not want his job.

Of course, but we are talking about Josh. The access comes with the job.

He doesn't pretend to be offering a consumer service as a restaurant critic.

He sort of does. There are various write-ups on his site that are labeled "reviews" with him as the author. You and I know that he is not a "critic" in the same sense that Bruni is a critic. I am not sure if everyone knows that.

To be fair, he has stated quite bluntly on several occasions that he's not a critic. I can't disagree with your point about how some things are presented, though.

He works for Barry Diller and CitySearch, and his job - I presume - is to drive traffic wherever they want traffic to go.

I believe it is a bit more nuanced than that. In a broad sense, Barry Diller has the same objectives as the New York Times Company: to make money. The Times employs Bruni because it believes people will buy newspapers and visit their website to read his reviews. That does not mean that the editor tells Bruni where to have dinner every night. Likewise, I think Ozersky has considerable latitude to write about the places that interest him—however he decides that (great food, chef's a friend, dinner is free...or whatever).

Right, and hopefully he was serious about broadening the scope of his interests. But my main point is that doing what he does is - I suspect - more attractive to readers than producing straight, consumer-oriented reviews. There's no analogy with Bruni's "Restaurants" column, because that's just one piece of content within a vastly broader product.
Elect-a-lujah

#30 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,112 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

As part of New York's woefully lame review of the century's first decade (you can read it in ten minutes), Platty contributes a piece on the invention of New York cuisine. Usual odd stumblebum remarks. "The lowly lobster roll replace caviar as the dish of choice in seafood places..." huh.gif Real caviar, in fact, became very hard to obtain, and choosing a lobster roll instead of caviar is more an indication of wealth than preference surely? Maybe hamburgers have replaced Kobe steak too?

Also, the original concept at Craft was to have "no recipes." huh.gif huh.gif

link