8 replies to this topic

#1 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:33 AM

So I'm getting fancy and trying to compress watermelon in my foodsaver but there's so much juice being exuded, it won't seal and there's a big mess in the chamber. Short of buying the real one, what can I do? Freeze the watermelon first? Put a paper towel in there too?

I assume the same problem will occur with other fruits too.
Never assume animosity when stupidity could be the cause.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. Itís a lonely world when youíre just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. Thatís why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women ó another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)
They probably drink corporate water.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,496 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

Just put the juice in hard-sided containers and freeze it. Use it as a beverage or to make granita. Watermelon is one of those things that you either eat fresh or juice; no in-between.

But can you save the rind to pickle? mmmmmmmm.

I don't want to seem obsessed with this, but . . . -- Sneakeater, August 13, 2014

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

What I meant was the vacchum draws so much juice out of the watermelon chunk that it either didn't seal with the vaccuum intact or didn't form the vacuum in the first place. None of the things I read mentions that problem.
Whichever side you're on, the other side doesn't just have bad ideas, they have to be bad people too.
People like her are always scared. Itís a lonely world when youíre just so damned right and everyone else is so stupid. Thatís why God made cats.
He tended to date high-strung women ó another symptom of his shyness. "Say what you want about them, psychotics tend to make the first move."
When you get over-confident, you get your ass kicked with your own shoes. (Fabio, Top Chef)

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#4 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

What's the intended use? Salt and strain it first?
It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley

#5 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:26 PM

Compressing is changes the texture, makes it denser. We had it at Murray Circle (though I know I won't get the same level with my non-industrial vacuum sealer).

It's supposed to be an accompaniment for grilled catfish with corn relish, confit tomatoes and mixed grilled vegetables.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#6 Eddie L

Eddie L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

Maybe you could try putting the watermelon in a ball jar and using one of these to pull the juices out. You might not even need to "compress" it afterward, since the vacuum should rupture the cells in the melon and turn it translucent. Not sure about the density change, though.
ē ē ē Edsel ē ē ē
♪ Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1929. ♫

#7 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

Thanks! That looks interesting but I need this for Monday.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'

#8 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

The paper towel trick is probably your best bet.

Other options:

If your foodsaver has a manual option, seal until the juices are almost at the top of the bag. Stop. Cut open the bag and empty the juices. Repeat until compressed to your satisfaction.

Start with a non-foodsaver compression. Use some kind of sushi press or a similar homemade item (a couple of plates, cutting boards, something like that). Compress as much as you can to get a lot of the juice out. Then proceed with foodsaver compression if necessary/desired.

That's all I can think of.

#9 GrantK

GrantK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

Thanks. After all this, it was mushy borderline rotten when I cut it open today so I tossed the fucker. Oh well, try again I suppose.

'Happy Cuatro de Cinco!'