4069 replies to this topic

#4066 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,465 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:42 AM

(This week's batch was pretty woebegone, I have to admit.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4067 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,465 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:45 AM

Oh, I see (OK, one more thing and then I'll shut up).

Corsin puts only about 35% of his wine in barrels (and only old ones at that) (the rest in steel, obvs).  THAT'S why the oak is so restrained, and the flavors are so balanced.

To my taste, at least, he REALLY knows what he's about.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4068 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,465 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:54 AM

Pan-fried John Dory with potatoes, asparagus, RAMPS, and flowering chives.

A lovely dish (adapted from a Molly O'Neil recipe).

And a lovely pairing (also used for braising the ramps):

2013 Domaine Philippe Tessier Cour-Cheverney "Les Sables"

Cour-Cheverneys have a reputation for being demi-sec, but this (natural) example is bone dry.

You get some apple/pair/peach, some citrus (lemon more than lime, I'd say), and a lot of minerals (chalk rather than slate).  There are herbs/spices in here, but I can't quite identify them (although:  am I tasting salt?).  A good splash of acid.  A longish finish -- although not as long as that Corsin a few nights ago.

And, just so you know it comes from the Loire near the Chenin Blanc district, a very subtle taste of honey.

In fact, if pressed to characterize this Romorantin wine, I'd say it's somewhere between a Chenin Blanc and a Sauvignon Blanc.

While its going with the fish was a foregone conclusion, an interesting circumstance is how very well it went with the asparagus.  So it's another entry on that short list.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4069 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,465 posts

Posted Today, 04:43 AM

Lambburger with sheep cheese, sorrel, RAMPS, mustard greens, and chives.  More mustard greens -- these sautéed -- on the side, with some RG Santa Maria Pinquito beans (mainly made for some other, upcoming dinner:  can you guess?).

2013 Bodegas y Viñedos Ponce Buena Pinta  (cellar temp)

Hard to believe I'm reaching the end of my stash of this (although good, cuz it's clearly reaching the end of its window).  I must have had it with a lambburger before.  It's a great lambburger pairing.

A blend of the extremely rare Moravia Agria and the extremely common Garnacha, it's sort of like a mix of a Burgundy and a Southern Rhone, except much lighter than either (yes, even much lighter than a Burgundy).  Tart strawberries, black pepper, some odd Central Spanish version of garrigue (I guess that would be "dust" -- but no, this is herby/spicy), and, at the end, as you'd expect as it ages, a suggestion of mint.

I never see this around any more.  I think Ponce still makes it.  I hope so.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4070 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,465 posts

Posted Today, 04:56 AM

Is this winery even in business any more?  It would be a real pity if they aren't.   I think Juan Antonio Ponce is one terrific winemaker.

Bar Loser

MF Old