#31 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Aug 3 2009, 05:35 PM) View Post
I can't tell you how entertaining I find critiquing all our wine pairings for tossed-together plates of leftovers.

Whaddya mean? That's more than half the meals I serve. laugh.gif Tossed with great care, I might add.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#32 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,344 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

It's about 99% of what I serve.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#33 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:14 AM

Admins, please merge with Supper so that Sneak doesn't get too much attention. sleep.gif
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#34 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,344 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:33 AM

Turley Rancho Escondido Zinfindel 2004

You may recall that this was the subject of a rapturous Eric Asimov column several years ago.

What happened was, some Turley factotum happened upon an old zinfindel vineyard, planted ages ago, a few miles south of the U.S. border in Baja California. The grapes from this vineyard had been and continue to be used by some schlock Mexican outfit turning out third-rate wine, but for one vintage only -- the 2004 (they never have been given access to the grapes since) -- the Turley guy bought the produce of the vineyard to be used by Turley.

Asimov presented this as some triumph of terroir. But he underplayed the fact that Turley, more than most producers, has a house style. Big, alcoholic. (Despite what people think of my taste here, I don't like it.) Some internet write-ups have presented this particular wine as an "anti-Turley Turley". Which raises hope.

I bought what may have been the last three available bottles a couple of years ago.

I knew I'd be eating home tonight. I thought it would be a good chance to try this wine. I had a very attractive rib steak bought at the Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn, farmer's market, and for a green vegetable (for one night I can do without starches) picked up some sugar snaps on the way home from the Prospect Park Alliance Bat Walk (we looked at bats in the park).

I rubbed the ribeye with butter and sprinkled it with kosher salt. I seared it and then -- I saw this coming -- proceeded to overcook it. I get it now, and won't make that mistake again.

I ate what in my apartment we (meaning "I" as I'm the only one who lives here) unashamedly call the deckle as well as the other stuff outside the medallion in the "eye" of the rib, leaving that to be reheated in further adventures.

So, the wine.

This isn't the "anti"-Turley. This is a Turley. Maybe a little bit dialed down, but still an example of the house style. Why is "mouth-coating" considered to be a positive attribute in some quarters? I think wine like this is sort of gross. Flabby. Needs some acid to balance it.

Still, as flabby wines go, this is one of the better I've had. I'll give it that. Certainly far far better than the Mollydooker syrah I had a couple of months ago.

I think I'll finish it tonight so I'll be able to check something else against the leftover steak in the future.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#35 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,344 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:52 AM

Of course (as I am now realizing), there are disadvantages to finishing high-alcohol bottles alone at one sitting.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#36 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:55 AM

You should preserve that in your signature, as it is something I always forget and would appreciate the reminder.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#37 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,344 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:58 AM

I thought it WAS preserved in my signature.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#38 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:08 AM

Oh, so it is. See, I never read signatures.
Elect-a-lujah

#39 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:30 PM

Thanks -- I wanted to like Turley's wines, but never could. Now I know why.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#40 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Aug 4 2009, 10:33 PM) View Post
I think wine like this is sort of gross. Flabby. Needs some acid to balance it.

S, Sounds like an apt description.

The Turley style doesn't sit well with me even though I often like big Zins.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#41 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,896 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:32 PM

So this is cooking?

So microwaving a pizza doesn’t count as cooking, though washing a head of lettuce and pouring bottled dressing over it does. Under this dispensation, you’re also cooking when you spread mayonnaise on a slice of bread and pile on some cold cuts or a hamburger patty.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#42 RPMcMurphy

RPMcMurphy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

work with what ya got. http://www.fancyfastfood.com/
http://blogtimko.blogspot.com - blog
http://nicholascookbook.blogspot.com - blogging through a cookbook band-wagoner

#43 Rex1965

Rex1965

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(SeaGal @ Aug 4 2009, 11:07 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Rex1965 @ Aug 4 2009, 07:49 PM) View Post
Don't ask - I am too ashamed to admit what I had tonight....I'll be run outta here if I confess....so don't make me tell you.

Oh, just post it in "The Rest of Us" thread and we can all look at it, laugh and relate. I'm sure you can't shock most of us and those that are shocked, probably need to be... tongue.gif

And of course, now I'm curious, so tell!

Okay, it was a McDonald's Angus burger...... blush.gif unsure.gif I just had to have one....I'm so ashamed, 'cause even my homemade boigahs are better than McD's.
"We are gawna make the most amazing angel food harvest cake, for Kwanzaa" - Sandra Lee

#44 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,896 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(Rex1965 @ Aug 5 2009, 01:27 PM) View Post
Okay, it was a McDonald's Angus burger...... blush.gif unsure.gif I just had to have one....I'm so ashamed, 'cause even my homemade boigahs are better than McD's.

OK, say 3 Hail Marys and make a good act of contrition.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#45 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,344 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

But you have to tell us what wine you had with it.
Bar Loser

MF Old