4746 replies to this topic

#4741 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,523 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:34 AM

Oh, also, if I may say so myself. the Poitrine d"Agneau Sainte Menehould was fucking fabulous.  (Thanks again, Wilf!)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4742 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,523 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:21 PM

Wow, can you imagine how good that lamb was as a cold leftover?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4743 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,874 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:30 PM

With the beans, room temp, oh yes!

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#4744 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,523 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 04:48 AM

Broiled bluefish with a pepper/lime/shiso sauce.  I was worried I was putting too much lime into the sauce -- and I was right to have worried.  If the ingredients are available, I may retry this next week:  I think there's the kernel of a good dish in there.

Sautéed okra and chocolate cherry tomatoes on the side.

I didn't really know how the sauce on the fish was going to taste.  I opted for something that would have worked if the chili peppers predominated.  It turned out that I should have been pairing for citrus.  I misjudged.  (If I make this again, I'm going to vastly increase the proportion of Italian sweet peppers.  So I'll have to pair for that.)

2012 Domaine Barmes-Beucher Gewurztraminer "Tradition"

I like Gewurztraminer.  My wife didn't.  For worse (not even a little for better), I don't have to worry about that anymore.

This bottle is past it.  The fruit is breaking down, and nothing particularly good is coming in to succeed it.  It just tastes kind of incoherent.

Which, in a way, makes it a fit pairing for that fish dish.  But not in the way I had planned.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4745 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,319 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:53 PM

Oh, also, if I may say so myself. the Poitrine d"Agneau Sainte Menehould was fucking fabulous. (Thanks again, Wilf!)

You are welcome. (I suggested this? I do like it.)

#4746 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,523 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:07 AM

You did!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4747 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,523 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:20 AM

Pan roasted duck breast in chestnut crab apple sauce. (Please note that's a sauce made with chestnut crab apples -- not a crab apple sauce made with chestnuts. Chestnut crab apples are less sour than plain old crab apples.) Happy fall!

This was really good -- although it would have benefited from some duck bacon in the sauce, had I thought to buy some.

Roast cabbage with ham on the side. (If I'd have put the duck bacon into the sauce, I'd have left the ham off the cabbage.)

My wine selection will surprise absolutely no one.

2015 A.J. Adam Has'chen Kabinett

A.J. Adam:  my MAN.  The producer of what I think is hands down the best Mosel Riesling in its lowish price class.

This tastes, first of all, like APPLES.  So, good pairing!  The minerals come in at the finish -- along with that petrolly Riesling thing.

This isn't amazingly complex.  What it is, is lipsmacking.

Bar Loser

MF Old