5204 replies to this topic

#4906 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:52 PM

I feel like I'm inventing cooking here accidentally as I go along.

Next, I'll burn down my apartment building so I can have some roast pig.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4907 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,016 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:06 PM

That's a nice thing to say about your neighbors.

#4908 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:23 AM

I suppose I should have made Buffalo grouse for dinner tonight.  But I just roasted it:  I thought it was enough I was sticking with the concept of Game Day.

Roast grouse wrapped in bacon, with game crumbs and bread sauce and sorrel conserve (as to the latter:  look, I'm in Brooklyn, not Scotland).  And braised celery.

I am squarely of the opinion that Château Musar is the ideal pairing for roast grouse.  But we don't want to get stuck in ruts, do we?  It occurred to me earlier today that a very aged Barolo would be a good pairing.

1978 Fratelli Barale Barolo

The first Barolo I ever drank was a 1978.  That was a long time ago, though.  This is holding up -- but I'm not gonna say it was in its prime.

The only problem, really, is the highly sour finish.  Of course, that's the way we drink now anyway -- but I'm not hoping for that from an aged Barolo.

Other than that, the fruit at the start is slightly raisiny -- but this is still recognizably that king of grapes, Nebbiolo.  The tar we want from this wine is still very much there (perhaps to a fault, in that the fruit, while demonstrably present, is certainly very faded).  The roses, however, have gone bye-bye:  I'm not smelling or tasting any.

Actually, it's pretty admirable how much depth this wine has.  The tar is a veritable La Brea pit.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4909 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,982 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:10 AM

2016 Daou Cabernet Sauvignon (Paso Robles).  Nice.  Quite nice.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#4910 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:33 AM

Leftover restaurant venison loin with juniper.  Unfortunately, I forgot there was also some leftover Sicilian black rice with it.  Otherwise, I'd have braised some more celery rather than making smashed celeriac and parsnip (not that I'm denying I love that) (I mean, LOVE).

2013 Three Wine Company Old Vines Field Blend "three"

A field blend of Carignane, Mataro (that's Mourvèdre to you), Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouschet, and Black Malvoisie (that's Cinsaut to you) as a pairing for venison with berries?  I mean, could you think of anything better?

This isn't one of those California wines made according to current principles that keep the wine modest.  This is BIG and "mouthfilling".  Forget glyceriney:  it's almost syrupy.  So, the kind of thing I dislike in principle.

But even unreheated leftover venison can stand up to a big wine.  And boy those black-berry-black-cherry-and-plum flavors (you really taste that plum) in the wine went with the venison-and-berries.  I wish there were a more complex finish (although it must be said that the fruit lasts).  But really, there's a lot here for a $20 California wine.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4911 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:00 AM

BOY does this wine open up.

I decanted it for about 45 minutes before dinner.  But, based on how it's tasting now, that clearly wasn't enough.  It's not only thinning out, but it's developing a nice tarry finish.

If you have any of this, air the hell out of it.  It becomes something of a remarkable bargain.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4912 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:41 AM

I think these grapes might have come from/near from Lodi.  So, in their honor:

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4913 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 05:53 AM

Tasso/cheese (duck egg) omelette.  Charred mustard greens (this time on purpose) on the side.

I had knee-jerked a choice of a Beaujolais -- but then I thought about it and realized an absolutely perfect pairing existed for this meal (and I had some!).

2017 Éric Texier Chat Fou

The northernmost Grenache grown in France, we are told.  Blended with a bunch of white Rhone grapes.  So what it is, is a Grenache -- but light.  The lightest Grenache you've ever tasted.  The strawberries and other red fruits are there in spades -- but no middle-aged spread, no flab, not even a hint of overload (can this be the same grape they use to make Priorat?).  Aside from keeping things light in general, the white grapes provide a very nice snap at the finish.

You serve this at cellar temp, of course.

I mean, this is just luscious.  The kind of wine you could drink endlessly.  And -- patting myself on the back -- if anyone could come up with a better pairing for an omelette made with fairly highly spiced ham (OK, I know -- not really a ham, butt not leg:  shut up), I'd like them to tell me what it is.

For the name alone, recommended, if to no one else, to my fellow Krazy Kat fan behemoth.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4914 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:19 AM

Unreheated leftover restaurant venison-and-trotter pie.  On the side, unreheated leftover restaurant haricots verts with lamb fat (calm down, Bonner:  rendered) and hazlenuts.

It wasn't too hard to think of what to drink with this.

2015 Domaine de Château Larroque Côtes de Gascogne

The supporters of this -- a solid house favorite over here -- call this Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot/Tannat/Syrah blend "the most elegant wine made in the Côtes de Gascogne".  I'll buy that.  What interests me is that I love this wine, whereas attempts to elegant up Madirans by adding a lot of Merlot to the Tannat leave me cold.  I think it's this:  those "elegant" Madirans take a good rustic wine and smooth it over.   Whereas this, this is more like a REALLY rustic satellite Bordeaux.  You taste the Cab 'n' Merlot -- but the rough-and-ready Tannat and juicy spicy Syrah give the wine some elbows.

This is bigger in the mouth than what I usually drink.  But not obnoxiously so.  Really a lot of wine for $15 dollars:  I'll say that.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4915 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:21 AM

Also, I like that this is another of those vineyards that are part of farms.  So, again, all their fertilizer is generated by the livestock they raise.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4916 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:31 AM

Oh, I should also say that I went to a friend's house for dinner the other night.  She served her mother's famous chili recipe.  (It's always been a mystery to me how a Jewish socialite from the North Shore of Chicago* came into possession of such an excellent chili recipe -- but let's give my friend's mom her due.)  I brought another bottle of that 2013 Three Wine Company Old Vines Field Blend "three".

Boy, did THAT work.

* When I was roasting my capon last year, I tried to impress my friend by telling her I was doing so.  "When I was a girl, we had capon ALL the time," she responded.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4917 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:02 AM

Ramp fusilli with black trumpet mushrooms, bacon, tasso, smoked garlic, and creme fraiche. Raw -- not even braised -- celery on the side (celery leaves garnishing the pasta).

2010 Beronia Gran Riserva

There were some switchbacks on this. I figured a Rioja would be nice with the mushrooms and all that pork, some of it smokey, some spicy. But this dish would overwhelm a classic Rioja. So maybe a Modern one. But who wants to drink that? So maybe a Modern Rioja with more age than such wines usually get? (Luckily, you can always find a wine with too much age in my storage units.)

This was quite good. Usual drill for superannuated Modern wines: the fruit is still there -- but it's tamer. While the secondary flavors don't take over, as they would with a more classic wine with some age, they definitely make themselves felt. More as generalized murk than the kind of discrete secondary flavors the classics yield -- but still more interesting then unrelenting fruit (perhaps supported by too-obvious oak).

That's what we have here (by which I mean the good superannuated flavors -- not the bad ones they supersede). The slight old-wine sour tartness (or tart sourness) at the finish only adds interest, if you ask me.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4918 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:09 AM

I'm just going to say that old wines get this level of complexity that's really pleasing -- even when they're older than perhaps they should be.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4919 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,340 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:37 PM

Ramp fusilli with black trumpet mushrooms, bacon, tasso, smoked garlic, and creme fraiche. Raw -- not even braised -- celery on the side (celery leaves garnishing the pasta).

How did you prepare the celery?

#4920 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,783 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:52 PM

I washed it and cut it into pieces.

Bar Loser

MF Old