#4951 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,154 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:57 AM

Bratwurst with apples and onions.

On the side, some Domingo Rojo beans left over from last week.  If I were making beans fresh to go with the sausage dish, I'd have flavored them differently.  But I wasn't -- and this was a damn good batch of beans in any event, if I may say so.

You already know what I drank with this.

2012 Ratzenberger Bacharacher Riesling Kabinett

Not anything approaching great -- but really good.  The various flavor components -- the fruit, the minerals, the acid -- are very well integrated (at least at this stage of the wine's development).  The rather prominent apple flavor went very nicely with the apples in my main dish.  The pineapple, peach, and citrus were very tasty, even if they had no cognates in the food.  Am I tasting some thyme there?  I had some of that in the onions.

Again, nothing titanic.  But a very nice wine for a Tuesday.  Well worth the $20 or so I spent on it a few years ago.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4952 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,590 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:04 AM

@joe

No, that’s a true pantry. Respect. Walk-in pantry is a different thing.

Pantries like that were standard issue when I was growing up, but so we’re houses (with gardens).

#4953 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,590 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:07 AM

It recently dawned on me that my wine fridge is a great place to keep cheese and some other edibles which I don’t want to keep super-cold and then have to bring to room temperature.

In a perfect world there would be no room for cheese, but it’s quite a large wine fridge.

#4954 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,154 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:14 AM

Bratwurst with apples and onions.  Beans.  Sautéed spinach.

I'm so boring.

2012 Wolfer Goldgrube Riesling Kabinett

I have seemingly endless supplies of Riesling and Boujolais.  For a simple reason:  that's what I like to drink.

This is on the sweeter side of Kabinett (which was good with that main dish).  There's lots of petroleum undergirding it, though.  Aside from that, a bouquet of exotic fruit:  kiwi, grapefruit, peach I guess -- not much apple, though.  Longish finish -- although not particularly complex.

Good for this meal.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4955 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,154 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:44 AM

Mississippi Roast,

It's even better on toast.

Mississippi Roast,

It really floats my boat.

It was kind of irresponsible of me to go out and buy more meat when there's all this stuff in my freezer that needs consumption.  But sometimes your heart tells you it wants a Mississippi Roast (I actually blame voyager for this), and you have no choice but to comply.

And the universe told me I was right:  the mediocre beef purveyor at the GAP Green Market had a tiny little one-and-a-third pound beef roast on hand.  So now, I won't have weeks of eating the rest of the roast ahead of me.  Only a day or two.

While the rest of them dudes were roasting their beef,

Buddy, beg your pardon, I was roasting mine.

Usually, my only tweaks to the (Sam Sifton improved) roast recipe are to add a layer of leeks at the bottom (God knows why, but I like them there), and to put in some meat stock in lieu of jus.  This time, the roast came with enough blood -- but I put in the stock anyway.  Along with the leeks, I put in some finely chopped celery (because I had some that needed to be eaten -- but also to give the dish a false veneer of salubriousness) (and then I had the leaves for garnish!) and some black trumpet mushrooms, which, as you know, cook down to a mushroomy goo that I thought would be nice in this.  Also, in a move dictated by pantry considerations but that turned out to be a stroke of genius, I replaced the pepperoncini with garlic pickled green beans.  And, again because they were there, I threw some anchovies (in chili pepper vinegar:  this is a Mississippi Roast) on the beef toward the last minute (a trick common in the Provençal part of Mississippi) (I learned it from Wilf, to be honest).

I believe this was the best Mississippi Roast ever made by anyone anywhere.

Over Pennsylvania Dutch pot pie squares (egg noodles).

Sautéed spinach and more of those RG Domingo Rojos (which go a lot better with the roast than they did with the brats with apples and onions) on the side.

You know it was a main dish,

It tasted better with wine . . . .

2006 Stone Hill Norton "Cross J Vineyard"

I've had Norton with Mississippi Roast before.   It seems so perfect.  Not just because Norton wines typically come from below the Mason-Dixon Line (this one's from Missouri, where Norton has become predominant).  Not just because so American a dish calls for a really American wine.  But because a dish with such forthright (to say the least) flavors calls for something uncomplicated and not at all reticent.

It's been wondered whether Nortons can age.  This is a really high-class single-vineyard one (the bottle, I just noticed, is even signed in wax or something by the winemaker).  So if any Norton can age, this one should.

Nortons can't age.  Although this has been impeccably stored (if I say so myself), it's developed a sour undertone that threatens to become a tone.  And whatever slight foxiness the fruit might have shown is becoming more than slight.

Too bad.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4956 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,154 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:23 AM

Robin Chapman, we salute you.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4957 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:30 PM

Huh.   ESP.   I'm doing a small Mississippi Roast tonight and will incorporate some of your upgrades.    Thanks.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#4958 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,154 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:16 AM

Mississippi Roast,
I really dig it the most.
Mississippi Roast,
I'll have a double dose.

Same dinner as last night. If I thought this roast was good last night, how much better is it after a day sitting in the refrigerator? (Someday I'll have the discipline to make it a day ahead and not eat it immediately. Maybe when I've learned to stop getting pissed off at things.)

I wonder, if this is so easy to make, and so utterly delicious, why would you ever make anything else? Because Mississippi Roast must be REALLY BAD for you is why. Even the fancy-shmancy version I make contains almost nothing that's good for you (the celery I inserted isn't fooling anybody).*

2013 Three Wine Company Old Vines Field Blend

Other than Jim Clendenon Pinots, I think that Old Skool field blends are the best wines California makes. But even when made by someone as obviously skilled as Matt Cline, they still tend to have one problem: they're BIG. (A few nights ago, my date, after tasting a well-aged Ridge Monte Bello -- not a field blend, but you get the drift -- wrinkled her nose and said, "Isn't that a little bit HEAVY?") This wine is great with chili, cuz there's a lot of texture there. But I think it tended to overwhelm even something as fully flavored (but not thickly textured) as this Mississippi Roast. (At about 45 minutes, I probably didn't decant it long enough. But: life.)

This is mainly Zinfandel, with a lot of Carignan, Petite Sirah, and Mataro (that's Mouvèdre to you), and some Alicante Bouschet and Black Malvoisie (I'm still trying to wrap my head around Black Malvoisie). Lots of fruit. Lots of other stuff.

For a wine that hovers around -- or just above -- $20, this really can't be faulted. But tonight, it was just not the thing. I think for the final portion of this Mississippi Roast, I'ma go natural.

MF Old

#4959 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,821 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:00 AM

Seghesio 2016 Sonoma County Zinfandel.  Serious stuff.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#4960 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 02:21 PM

Pitiful doggerel removed.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#4961 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 03:35 PM

It still tastes good even if you don't use all that butter in the original recipe. I don't use any butter at all  :ph43r:  :o  :cool:

#4962 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,154 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

Evelyn, you're a very brave woman.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4963 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,154 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:49 PM

(I wonder, though, what the people in Mississippi would think about someone at Alabama messing with their recipe.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4964 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:35 PM

For those of you who also bristle at the price of a packet of Hidden Ranch dressing mix, here is an alternative path for that Mississippi Roast flavor.    I found this at Smart and Final, cost around $8.50 as I recall.   16 oz.

33568523568_b005c78132_c.jpg

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#4965 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,154 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:40 PM

You take some Duke's Mayonnaise. You mix in some (lots) dill and some (lots) paprika, and pour in a little cider vinegar. Beat. Then beat in some buttermilk.
Bar Loser

MF Old