not my monkeys.

#4982 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 11:55 PM

I’m sure everyone else is laughing uproariously, too.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4983 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:30 PM

OK, Stephanie's not gonna do it.  Read all the way through this, and Everything Will Be Illuminated.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4984 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,021 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:19 AM

Imagine the lawsuit if you were a surgeon, and toast your good fortune. 😆

#4985 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,021 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:21 AM

Alter was obvious, but kocker turns out to be not so bad, considering what it might be.

#4986 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:54 AM

Codfish poached in a thymey tomato sauce with tasso and whelks.  (In order to keep up my local/seasonal cred, I'll note that the tomatoes were frozen from the summer.)  Sautéed chrysanthemum greens on the side.

This would have been good with an Albariño.  But I didn't have any (that I could find).  In retrospect, I should have opened a Muscadet (I certainly can find a bottle or 300 of that); this salty, briny dish wanted a white.  But I came across a lightish Portuguese mostly-red (some white) field blend and, especially since this fish dish had a vaguely Portuguese flavor profile, I went with that.

2015 Antonio Madeira Dão Tinto

This is a pretty non-interventionist wine, save for a tiny bit of sulfur.  It's a field blend -- mainly Touriga Nacional and Alfrocheiro, but with lots of other stuff, some of it white -- aged in oak (which, after the Sinensky Pinot Noir I ended up drinking out last night, seems very subtle).

Pairing aside, this is a very good wine.  It isn't heavy (although it's not nearly as light as I expected).  It's full of flavor, even a little bit complex.  As with many of these lower-level wines (this was about $20) of some complexity, the secondary flavors aren't really determinable:  you can't pick them out and name them.  You're just very aware that there's a lot of something underneath and behind the fruit.  Nevertheless, if I had to pick out a word to describe this, it would be vibrant.

I could see this being good with a different cod preparation (one with less salt) (just so you know, it wasn't that I dumped in a lot of salt:  it's that some of the things I put into this were themselves salty).  The wine wasn't bad with this dish -- just not perfect.  It's a very good wine for the money, though.

I drank it at cellar temperature.  And so should you.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4987 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:51 AM

WHAT?????????????

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4988 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:53 PM

OK, Stephanie's not gonna do it.  Read all the way through this, and Everything Will Be Illuminated.

Or to paraphrase in plain English, the one time you refrain from flipping the bird, that happens.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#4989 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:18 PM

It’s more like I’m too old to be doing things for the first time.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4990 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:44 PM

A day without wine is like a day without sunshine.

#4991 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 04:49 AM

Sear-roasted (what do you call it when you cook meat over a flame in a cast iron skillet?  I can't believe I don't know) veal flank steak with housemade Eternal "Chimichurri".  (You read all these people in the D'Artagnan comments complaining that the veal flank steaks are dry and tough.  I think it's sort of malpractice for D'Artagnan not to instruct purchasers that these steaks need to be marinated [as I did].)  Sautéed hedgehog mushrooms on the side (these are mushrooms that know a lot of things, instead of knowing one thing very very well), along with some sautéed spinach.

I had a very clear idea of what I'd drink with this.

2016 Brendan Tracey Wah-Wah

This is sort of a definitive natural wine, made in the Loire, two-thirds Grolieau and one-third Cot (you can see where I got the idea for pairing this with a light meat with chimichurri).  It's light, it's a little fizzy, it's got thin but quite pronounced fruit (cherry!  cranberry!), it's a little sour (cranberry!).  It's got this beautiful light purple color.  The Brett is very minor.

This is a wine that the catchphrase "glou-glou" could have been invented for.  It couldn't have provided a better foil for the sour chimichurri (which kind of dominated the mildly flavored meat) (I think I'm going to change the olive oil-to-vinegar ratio in the Eternal "Chimichurri" going forward).

And man am I enjoying the dregs just by themselves.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4992 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 04:57 AM

During Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra tonight, it hit me what to do with the remaining veal flank steak tomorrow night.

I'm so excited.  I can't wait.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4993 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:33 AM

Well, not tomorrow.

Chicken fried veal flank steak (it was stored in a strong marinade:  don't worry) with buttermilk whisky gravy.  Mashed potatoes.  Sautéed tatsoi.

You may wonder how a chicken fried veak flank steak differs from wiener schnitzel.  Well, it's battered rather than breaded.  And you wouldn't serve wiener schnitzel with a pasty white gravy.  Indeed, if you judge the authenticity of this dish by the pastiness of the gravy, then I bow to no one within the state of Texas or without.

As my usual Grandma's treat, I made myself a savory pancake with the leftover batter.  But I'll eat it reheated tomorrow for lunch, not now:  I'm not as young as I used to be.

You all know what I opened to drink with this.

2014 Lapierre Morgon

This meal screams for a funky Beaujolais.  (There goes my Texas cred:  I don't think they think it screams for any kind of wine.)  So why not the prince of funky Beaujolais?

Everybody (well, me) worried about a fall-off when Mathieu took over for his dad following Marcel's death in 2010.  If there's been one, I can't taste it.  (But then, I like Paul Liebrandt at Chef's Club.)  Usual Lapierre thrills:  sharply focused strawberry fruit underlain by some plummy fruit that lasts and lasts, graphite minerals (lots), funk but not overbearing.  I think this is just entering its drinking window -- but you certainly don't have to feel bad about drinking it now.  It's there.

2014 is my favorite Beaujolais vintage in memory.  This wine is just great.  Great great great.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4994 greenspace

greenspace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:47 AM

Sear-roasted (what do you call it when you cook meat over a flame in a cast iron skillet?  I can't believe I don't know) veal flank steak with housemade Eternal "Chimichurri".  (You read all these people in the D'Artagnan comments complaining that the veal flank steaks are dry and tough.  I think it's sort of malpractice for D'Artagnan not to instruct purchasers that these steaks need to be marinated [as I did].)  Sautéed hedgehog mushrooms on the side (these are mushrooms that know a lot of things, instead of knowing one thing very very well), along with some sautéed spinach.

I had a very clear idea of what I'd drink with this.

2016 Brendan Tracey Wah-Wah

This is sort of a definitive natural wine, made in the Loire, two-thirds Grolieau and one-third Cot (you can see where I got the idea for pairing this with a light meat with chimichurri).  It's light, it's a little fizzy, it's got thin but quite pronounced fruit (cherry!  cranberry!), it's a little sour (cranberry!).  It's got this beautiful light purple color.  The Brett is very minor.

This is a wine that the catchphrase "glou-glou" could have been invented for.  It couldn't have provided a better foil for the sour chimichurri (which kind of dominated the mildly flavored meat) (I think I'm going to change the olive oil-to-vinegar ratio in the Eternal "Chimichurri" going forward).

And man am I enjoying the dregs just by themselves.

Pan-roasted.

------------------------------

“We wanted a higher level of culinary discourse”

"I was much further out than you thought

And not waving but drowning."

#4995 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,793 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:10 AM