5036 replies to this topic

#4996 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,159 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:49 AM

Leftover unreheated restaurant steak with leftover unreheated restaurant Red Shrimp with leftover reheated homemade savory batter pancake with fresh sautéed tatsoi.

I see that I opened a bottle of this same wine the last time I ate leftover restaurant steak at home.  So I guess it's become my reflexive choice for leftover restaurant steak.

2001 Viña Rufina Alta Gama Reserva

Cigales is a godforsaken area in Castile and León.  One selling point of its wines was that the wine industry there was so remote that they were very traditionally made.

Not, however, those of Viña Rufina.  They use lots of French and American oak.  They blend their Tempranillo with Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.

Well, this -- I believe their senior cuvée -- is all Tempranillo, at least.  But it's still the kind of Big '70s Wine that only Rich and Paryzer drink any more.  (Winking!)  I can see the appeal of a wine like this with a steak.  But I wouldn't want to drink it more than occasionally.  It's too sticky, too mouthfilliing, too too.

So, the fruit at the start isn't fruity -- it's mucky.  The oak is tastefully deployed:  it doesn't overwhelm the wine, as the oak in the Sinensky Pinot I had the misfortune of drinking a couple of weeks ago did, but rather complements the fruit.  But you definitely taste it, which bothers some but not me when it's well done as here.  Then leather:  again, pleasant in itself -- but not what we expect these days.

I enjoyed this much more than my last bottle.  I think the reason is that I gave it a better decant:  I decanted it before leaving for the concert I was going to have dinner after.  So a three-and-then-some-hour decant does the trick.

Now that I've figured out about the decanting, I'm happy to have this wine with food that calls for it.  It's good.  But I don't really drink stuff like this much these days.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4997 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,159 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:25 AM

See, I join in some of my more conservative colleagues in fearing that the natural wine movement's emphasis on "glou glou" drinkability promotes superficiality.

But the fact of the matter is that it was a real slog to finish this bottle.  Whereas the Lapierre and the Wah-Wah I previously drank were a pleasure.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4998 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,159 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:27 AM

The exaggerated alcohol levels of wines like this might be a factor.  But I think that's fair.  Why would anyone want to drink wines that make them feel sick the next morning (or prevent them from drinking more in order to avoid feeling that way)?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4999 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:12 PM

The exaggerated alcohol levels of wines like this might be a factor.  But I think that's fair.  Why would anyone want to drink wines that make them feel sick the next morning (or prevent them from drinking more in order to avoid feeling that way)?

I just pop a couple of advil before I go to sleep, & I feel fine in the morning. We just enjoy bold, fruity, and peppery reds. 

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#5000 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,159 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:21 AM

Black bass with fiddleheads and morels in brown butter, on top and on the side.  (What season did you say it was?)

Pinot Blanc may be a sort of basic nondescript wine.  But if any dish ever screamed loudly for a Pinot Blanc, it was this one.

2015 Laurent Barth Pinot d'Alsace

But it didn't really get one.  It isn't generally known that the great majority of wines labeled Pinot Blanc in Alsace aren't made from Pinot Blanc at all, but rather from Pinot Auxerrois, a related grape that is actually much more flavorful and distinctive.  (Both are very closely related to Chardonnay, which when I started drinking wine was still called Pinot Chardonnay.  But Pinot Blanc is very much the dull cousin.)

But this wine isn't even marketed as a Pinto Auxerrois (much less a Pinot Blanc).  Because Laurent Barth also puts a tiny amount of Pinot Noir into the blend.

Black bass is a fairly meaty fish in terms of texture -- but pretty mild when it comes to flavor.  So you want a white with a fairly full heavy texture, but a light flavor.  That's why Pinot Blanc is the go-to for black bass -- but come on, life is too short to drink a wine that boring.  That's where L. Barth's great white Pinot blend comes in.  It's kind of like a still version of a classic Champagne (the kind made from Pinots Chardonnay, Meunier, and Noir).  By which I mean it has mouthfeel, and the flavors are there -- but they're light (I mean, this isn't gossamer like a great Champagne -- but Jesus Christ, its price is well south of $20).  Tonight I'm getting some pear, some lime, and then a bitter nutty finish.

This wine is also a knockout with Chinese food (especially, to my mind, Cantonese).  It's nice that my bud joe shares a particular favorite white wine with me.  But it's made for some unseemly competition at the BYO Chinese restaurant dinner table.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5001 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,605 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:12 AM

Fiddleheads still there? I had some a couple of weeks back and figured that was it.

#5002 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,159 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:16 AM

I'm not saying none of them was kind of brownish.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5003 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,159 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:17 AM

To be honest, though, these were the first I've seen this year.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5004 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,159 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:45 AM

Things come slowly to Central Brooklyn.

We don't even have RAMPS yet.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5005 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,823 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:08 AM

The carbon footprint of wine.  https://www.nytimes....pgtype=Homepage

Damn, can't I just enjoy my wine?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#5006 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,605 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:46 PM

I'm not saying none of them was kind of brownish.

So the ones I had, but still tasted good.

#5007 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,159 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:21 AM

Chicken fried skate.  (I crack myself up.)  Just so nobody could forget what season it is, I dumped some morels into the pasty white gravy, and strewed some (some:  HA!  a shit-ton) seared ramps on top.  Flowering Russian kale on the side.  If we're still gonna be eating brassicas, at least let them be flowering.  (When did we start calling crucifers brassicas, BTW?)

Now my go-to wine for a Chicken Fried Steak would be a Beaujolais.  So the Chicken Fried Skate got . . . .

2015 Gilles Gelin Beaujolais Blanc

Beaujolais Blanc, unlike the Rouge, isn't a particularly great candidate for aging.  So this wine was a little bit over it.  But it hit the notes that I wanted:  acid to cut through the pasty white gravy, citrusy fruit to go with the skate. 

Not just a good joke, but a good pairing.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5008 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,159 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:25 AM

[mispost]

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5009 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

did you get the skate at the green market?

#5010 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,159 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

Yes.

Bar Loser

MF Old