5219 replies to this topic

#5191 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,989 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

Em is opening in DUMBO, so you don't have to go to Sheepshead Bay for it anymore.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5192 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,469 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

A plan:  Q train to the East 16th St. Netcost, then stroll over to Pirosami for Georgian!

18th Avenue NetCost, then five minute stroll to Em for outstanding banh mi.

(Of course, there's a great hot buffet in NetCost as well.)

A plan: Drive to 3100 Ocean Ave NetCost, then drive 5 minutes to Totonno's. Or anywhere else in the vicinty, while not destroying my back by carrying all the shit I buy at NetCost.

Let me know when.

#5193 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:06 PM

Plan: get driving license...

@Sneak Sheepshead Bay or Bensonhurst?

#5194 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,989 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:11 PM

Oooops.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5195 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:16 PM

@Wilfred:  "On the way home, I picked up one half-pound piece of Yarg from Formaggio Kitchen, and had no problem spending $15 on that."

Probably 40 years ago my parents were visiting and I took my father to an ancient cheese shop on Union Street operated by an octogenarian who usually had no more than a half dozen assorted wheels in his single case.    i was happily tasting and buying 2" of this and of that, never asking price, while my father winced at each additional selection.    Finally the tiny Italian proprietor rose to his full 5'2" and pipes at my dad, "Hey, you Genovese?

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#5196 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,469 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:46 PM

Well, we do drive on the correct side of the road here, so that should be the first thing you remember, if and when you get a driver's license.

#5197 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:47 PM

Mm, means you have no space to draw your swords, snowflakes.

#5198 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,469 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:42 PM

One of the reasons I love Mouthfuls is because of how much one learns, simply by reading the forums and threads herein.

I was thinking about this yesterday, as I was riding the M14 Select bus up to Union Square, before heading up to HSS on the "F," and again while riding the "Q to F" home, all the way from 72nd and 2nd to East Broadway, fortunately getting seats on all journeys. 

And then today I learned just how great an environmentalist, a patriot, and yes, even a human being one may become - all just by eschewing the automobile for a couple of hours on the subway in the dead of summer. Though that may not stop said human beings from employing personal attacks.

Wonders will never cease.

#5199 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 03:17 PM

Well, we do drive on the correct side of the road here, so that should be the first thing you remember, if and when you get a driver's license.

Interestingly, and clumsily, the DMV is happy to use "driver's license," "drivers license" and "driving license" - all on the same page.

https://www.dmv.com/...drivers-license

#5200 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:55 PM

It started long, long ago.    A friend of ours, a honcho in a small bank, was in charge of ushering it into the computer age.    He realized that the lead tech was incompetent and sacked him.    DMV, facing the same challenge, picked up this guy to head their operation.   

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#5201 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,989 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:04 AM

Pasta alla Norma!!!!!!  My High Summer fave!!!!!!  I've looked forward to making this for like a year!!!!!!!

Usually, I use the traditional pasta base, spaghetti or another long pasta.  But this time, for whatever reason, I was feeling a hollow pasta, like penne.  Except the closest thing I had were paccheri.

I am now here to tell you that I can see why this dish is not traditionally made with paccheri.  But it's so good, you can't mess it up too badly.

Roasted broccolini and cauliflower on the side.  I put my remaining dose of bottarga on top.

If you have a Sicilian red, that's obviously what you're going to drink with this.  My candidates were a Frappato by Arianna Occhipinti and a Nerello Mascalese by her boyfriend Eduardo Torres Acosta (my older Coses were not in consideration)  I wanted something with a little oomph, so I went with boyfriend's Nerello.

2016 Eduardo Torres Acosta Pirrera

This is a single-vineyard Nerello Mascalese.  You won't have to be told it's natural once you take your first sniff and taste.  But the funk is definitely there in only a supporting role:  you immediately taste the dark berry fruit.  Not for long, though:  the biggest sensation is the savory secondary flavors that rush in after it (cinnamon/herbs/volcanic soil).

I've read people on the net saying this wine should be held for a while more.  I don't see it.  If you want any fruit from this at all, now is the time.

It's good now, though.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5202 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,989 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:36 AM

J&E SmallGoods bratwurst on Martin's rolls.  These are very good, don't get me wrong -- but they're not as good, as bratwursts, as J&E's hot dogs are as hot dogs.  Still, I'm sure I'll have them again (I mean, beyond what's left in this package).

On the side, some housemade German potato salad and spinach salad.

I wanted a Riesling on the drier side with this.

2012 Weegmüller Vom Gelben Fels Riesling Trocken

I mean, this is still closer to a Kabinett than to, say, a classic Alsatian.  But it's dry enough.

This isn't fabulous or anything.  I wouldn't want a fabulous wine with bratwurst and cold salads.  But run-of-the-mill German Rieslings are so fucking gooooooood.

No surprises here.  Citrus, apricot, minerals, acid.  But shit, I love Riesling more than any wine this side of Beaujolais.

This is possibly on the outer edges of its drinking window -- it's a modest wine -- but while it might have lacked a certain coiled tension, there was nothing at all wrong with it.  You know what? I take it back about its being at the end of its window.

In most ways it sucks to be me.  But that I can reach into my storage units and pull something like this out . . . that's pretty awesome.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5203 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,989 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:42 AM

So I have another show this weekend in Ridgewood, a few blocks from Morscher's.  Part of me thinks it would be pretty funny to go on a date laden with sausage, with my date -- thanks to my new insulated cooler backpack -- having no idea.  Part of me thinks:  grow up.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5204 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,989 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:30 PM

Well, I'm making some pepperoncini.  You know what that means . . . .

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5205 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,125 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:20 PM

Ha, years of my vegan wife asking, so what’s in the bag? Nothing, groceries...