9 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,657 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

A friend visiting from Washington was staying, for obscure reasons, in a motel in Sheepshead Bay. She proposed a dinner at Liman Restaurant, a Turkish seafood shack that, unbeknownst to her, just got a rave review from Robert Sietsima. The place was packed (they barely squeezed us in). I jumped.

Let's try to keep things in check. This isn't the apex of fresh seafood. This isn't so simple yet good that you can't believe it. It won't be a revelation to you.

Having said that, this is good. Very good. If you like simple grilled or fried fish, I can't believe you won't like this place a lot.

It really is a shack, some kind of open-air wooden construction sitting on the edge of the bay. It looks more Maine than Istanbul, but the menu is Turkish all the way. Cooking is clean and skilled.

For example, the borek we had as an appetizer were almost grease-free, and the cheese that stuffed the fried cylanders was light as a feather.

You could say something similar for the fried fresh anchovies.

For a main course, I reasoned that a local fish would be fresher and hence better than an imported one. So I ordered a fried fluke steak (two pieces so huge that it would be impossibe, I believe, for one person to finish them both) (I'm curious to see how they'll reheat). It came in a light, paprika-flecked batter, and I would have been completely happy with it.

If I hadn't tasted my friend's grilled branzino. This was pure heaven. The white fish was almost mousse-like. (Just to keep things in perspective, though, this was NOT as good as the great branzino dish at Ssam Bar. Although they're different enough as to be incomparable.)

So, my advice to you is, forget whatever logical or ideological preference you might have for local fish. Next time, I'm ordering the dourade.

Finally, if you have any taste at all for very sweet desserts, the Turkish specialties here just wonderful. We had a block of "rococo" ice cream, filled with nuts and various flavors and having that dense texture characteristic of Turkish ice cream. Even better was the pumpkin, served with nuts and whipped cream. I have no idea what they do to it (and our waitress wasn't telling). It isn't carmelized, like the excellent pumpkin dessert at Industria Argentina. It's soft but not mushy, deliciously sweet, and I want more now.

The Turkish white wine was servicable.

It's an odd thing to have a fish restaurant on the water with no water views. But that's the only criticism I have of Liman.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,719 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Aug 17 2009, 11:18 AM) View Post
A friend visiting from Washington was staying, for obscure reasons, in a motel in Sheepshead Bay. She proposed a dinner at Liman Restaurant, a Turkish seafood shack that, unbeknownst to her, just got a rave review from Robert Sietsima. The place was packed (they barely squeezed us in). I jumped.

Let's try to keep things in check. This isn't the apex of fresh seafood. This isn't so simple yet good that you can't believe it. It won't be a revelation to you.

Having said that, this is good. Very good. If you like simple grilled or fried fish, I can't believe you won't like this place a lot.

It really is a shack, some kind of open-air wooden construction sitting on the edge of the bay. It looks more Maine than Istanbul, but the menu is Turkish all the way. Cooking is clean and skilled.

For example, the borek we had as an appetizer were almost grease-free, and the cheese that stuffed the fried cylanders was light as a feather.

You could say something similar for the fried fresh anchovies.

For a main course, I reasoned that a local fish would be fresher and hence better than an imported one. So I ordered a fried fluke steak (two pieces so huge that it would be impossibe, I believe, for one person to finish them both) (I'm curious to see how they'll reheat). It came in a light, paprika-flecked batter, and I would have been completely happy with it.

If I hadn't tasted my friend's grilled branzino. This was pure heaven. The white fish was almost mousse-like. (Just to keep things in perspective, though, this was NOT as good as the great branzino dish at Ssam Bar. Although they're different enough as to be incomparable.)

So, my advice to you is, forget whatever logical or ideological preference you might have for local fish. Next time, I'm ordering the dourade.

Finally, if you have any taste at all for very sweet desserts, the Turkish specialties here just wonderful. We had a block of "roccocco" ice cream, filled with nuts and various flavors and having that dense texture characteristic of Turkish ice cream. Even better was the pumpkin, served with nuts and whipped cream. I have no idea what they do to it (and our waitress wasn't telling). It isn't carmelized, like the excellent pumpkin dessert at Industria Argentina. It's soft but not mushy, deliciously sweet, and I want more now.

The Turkish white wine was servicable.

It's an odd thing to have a fish restaurant on the water with no water views. But that's the only criticism I have of Liman.

Nice. I've been meaning to try it for 2 years now and havent gotten around to it. Everyone I know who has been there has loved it (as a local destination only of course). Two things:

1- it's not related to Limon Restaurant, a very nice small Turkish restaurant in Manhattan
2- Taci's Beyta on Coney Island Ave is similarly a very good Turkish restaurant, but for non fresh fish dishes.

This space available… contact owner.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,657 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:41 PM

Bumping this thread to encourage Steve R. to write about his visit here.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,719 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:05 PM

So, we went on Sat 8/29. Valet parking, which is needed since it's packed on Saturday nights and there's not much around. Everyone speaking Turkish or Russian. Families. And, across from us (3 of us), a birthday party of 14 women in their early 20s, speaking English without accents until the waiter came over, then ordering in Turkish. They brought in 6 bottles (yep, bottles) of vodka, and another 2 or 3 of brandy and gin. Pitchers of oj and soda brought to the table as mixers. They were dressed to go out afterwards in very tight dresses and, by the time we left, much of the alcohol was gone and... well, I digress (the above was basically for Sneakeater as reward for reminding me about this place).

The food was excellent. As apps., the 3 of us ate a great chopped salad with feta, a similarly excellent eggplant salad, "caviar" salad and absolutely fresh fish cakes, devoid of filler. Nice start and they brought pieces of freshly baked Turkish bread... hearty. The Turkish white wine we ordered several bottles of was good as well. For mains, each of us got a fish. Mine was a whole pan fried large Red Snapper... I couldnt resist trying it, although I had visions of grease and tastelessness beforehand (I figured I could always eat some of Ginny and our friend's food if it sucked). It came out perfectly and was done without any grease...the method kept in the moisture of the fish nicely. I wound up with one hell of a fish and, although picking out bones isnt high on my list of loved things to do at dinner, it was worth it. Ginny had a whole branzino & it was as good as Sneak says it was, although bone picking was needed there as well. Our friend Linda ordered a fish "filleted" and it was great as well, without the bones. Two very large fillets of fish. Three winners, all fresh, meaty and expertly done. The dishes dont come with sides and, although we ordered one dish of rice to eat with the fish, it really wasnt necessary, given the apps and the size of the fish. We ate it just to be polite. No desserts. We werent that polite. I'd go back in a flash (and will).

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,657 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(Steve R. @ Sep 8 2009, 04:05 PM) View Post
(the above was basically for Sneakeater as reward for reminding me about this place).

In that case you could also mention the exquisite but icy hostess.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

Went last night. Fun place. Good Mezze, very well cooked farmed fish at a fine price. Worth a diversion. Although the whole "on the water but no view" think is both perplexing and amusing.

Although our Borek were not grease free - based on what I had yesterday I wouldn't order them again.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#7 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,719 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:54 PM

We went back (with Rich and Peg) last Wed and had what I thought was a lesser meal. All the fish were fresh and prepared well enough & the large salad was great as usual(the very positive part), but I thought that the cubed eggplant and the red beans apps were very ehh and the bread not freshly baked. All in all, it'll stay on the rotation but I want to try Istanbul, the place down the road a couple of blocks past the old Lundy's (a block past the diner). It looked inviting.

#8 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:07 PM

We went back (with Rich and Peg) last Wed and had what I thought was a lesser meal. All the fish were fresh and prepared well enough & the large salad was great as usual(the very positive part), but I thought that the cubed eggplant and the red beans apps were very ehh and the bread not freshly baked. All in all, it'll stay on the rotation but I want to try Istanbul, the place down the road a couple of blocks past the old Lundy's (a block past the diner). It looked inviting.

hummus was bad, eggplant salad/spread was good I thought. We had our eyes on "Baku" for the next visit

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#9 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,952 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:49 PM

Did you notice that Istanbul was completely empty? We drove by on the way home and nary a patron was found. But the place looked nice - so it's a try.

#10 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,338 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

After a day in Coney Island with the kids this last Monday, we went to Liman as it showed up on yelp after I did a search for seafood.  It was only a couple of miles away and I was also enticed by the outdoor seating.. I called ahead and they reserved us a seat right by the outside.. 

We started with a very smokey eggplant dip,

41951910742_07c51eb852_z.jpg

The bread they serve with this, is worth the price of admission.. It was hot and soft and some salt and sesame:

41951910882_1b6c3953fd_z.jpg

The hummus was spot on.. Went well with the bread:

41277216244_0b849cdaf9_z.jpg

The salad which is cucumber,olives, tomato, jalapeno, red onion, a lot of oregano and dill, in an oil and vinegar dressing with a very fresh tasting feta.  Fresh, bright and herby..   

41277215984_06d8e3c7a0_z.jpg

This was over kill but, we were hoping Jax would eat these.. It was a perfect fry, chicken fried, the calamari, i have never had them more soft.. I don't know what the hell they did.. I don't know if I prefer it that way actually, but, the fry was outstanding..  

41277216404_5251e61683_z.jpg

For the end, we had red mullet.. they were pushing this and the branzino.. We eat branzino a lot at home, i love it on the grill especially but, i rarely see red mullet in a restaurant.. Again fried perfectly.. I don't know if this was just pulled out of the Mediterranean but, i could see why this is a house specialty.. 

41277216104_79454c9cfc_z.jpg

I could eat at this place once a month and be happy.. I mean, i am not going to but, if I lived close by, we would come here. 

Edit adding photo soon... issues 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.