"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#17 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

Yup. An earlier generation was a good interim solution for raw file storage. This isn't really archival, though. If you don't need raw storage, Google gives you a lot of storage for free, though, and is probably safer than having a hard drive that can be damaged.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#18 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Joe!

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#19 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:04 AM

I'd say for those really important files ( of which I have none), shove 'em onto an SD thingie as a 3rd backup not in "the cloud."  Just in your drawer.

#20 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:06 AM

LOL 4TB for 115 bucks.  That's amazing

Also...thanks, Gordon!

#21 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:01 AM

I'd say for those really important files ( of which I have none), shove 'em onto an SD thingie as a 3rd backup not in "the cloud."  Just in your drawer.

The cloud backups are to ensure that your data are safe in the event of, say, a house fire. The concern isn't bit rot, it's that a force that destroys the external HDD sitting on your desk will likely also destroy the SD card sitting in your drawer.

#22 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

I can understand that.

My father had a great solution for that: in a walk-in closet, which he had converted into his "office," he had a fireproof safe.

#23 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,223 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

Yeah but a cloud provider is safer than the fireproof safe.

#24 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

The end is near.  

#25 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,223 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

one of those hey.

Can't wait for the prepper blog

#26 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

My family has been involved in scanning thousands of old family photographs. Thousands of pictures, some dating from the 1800s.  We've used several joint shutterfly accounts, as well as several TB drives.  Which go into safe deposit boxes. 

Fortunately, many of the pictures are dated and ID'd  (Uncle Al with Bert, Avon NJ 1935).

Our big concern now is Shutterfly goes fly-by-by. It's very convenient for relatives to dip in and take what they'd like.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#27 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

Yeah, off-site physical backup is fine too, if you want to do that.

The question is really how paranoid you are and how much/what you want to store. If you're storing many TB of raws, then most cloud solutions are impractical – but honestly raws aren't a good archival format anyway. If you're storing JPEGs and you still have multiple TB... err, then something weird is happening.

#28 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

Rail Paul isn't storing RAW images.  He and his family are scanning old photos into JPEGs.  His method of backup is efficient and sound.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#29 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

Not quite. The math works like this:

A 24 megapixel JPEG is something like 2 to 5 MB. If you're storing those, you can store a few hundred thousand of those per terabyte, which is the scale of storage that's feasible from, say, Dropbox.

For raw storage? I've gone through over 100 GB of raws in a single day, so that's enough where using the cloud isn't really practical, so maybe an external hard drive in a safe deposit box is your best bet if you want to be safe.

#30 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:00 PM

I'll say it again - Rail Paul isn't storing RAW images.  I strongly suspect that most people here also don't shoot photos in the RAW format.  And anyone who does already knows that RAW files are significantly bigger than JPEGs.

Anyway, I'm going to drop this point.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China