37 replies to this topic

#31 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,546 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:07 PM

have you considered toledo? very close to lake erie.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#32 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,616 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:23 PM

I'm nervous about being able to sell something rural not near the beach. Not that I'm viewing this as something to sell, but if someone needs to sell it's not for a good reason.

oh, you're not selling it, think of it as a cheap long term lease.

The less seasonal coastal stuff isn't priced well, predictably. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#33 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:52 PM

have you considered toledo? very close to lake erie.

pronounced to-ley-do.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#34 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:18 AM

I can layout many awesome 2week trips but theyll vary based upon where you want and dont want to go. Theres no fixed one route that must be taken. When you truly decide to make the trip, tell me. And dates matter

No need to know Gallego. They all speak fine Spanish. Teach them Spanish. And dont skimp on the classics either, Bonner !

Just so happens that friends here are selling a place on the water with awesome ria views right this second. I was at their place last week cooking up bogavante that I bought at the Bueu market (Praza De Abastos De Bueu to be exact ... the only nearby mercado de pescado / marisco open la tarde (aka late afternoon / early eve). Market was kind of lame, for Galicia, but I snagged some buggers and some excellent almejas (the wife whos Norwegian is an awesome cook and made a crazy good marinera sauce for thé almejas ... marinera is a Galician thing so DONT think about Italy). Prices from an East Coast USA perspective are INSANELY cheap. They have been trying to sell this place for 5 years ... along with 5 other places they have in various parts of Galicia. Hard to recommend buying unless you actually plan to use it a bunch ... and then when you buy you feel that you MUST use it and hence you keep going back to the same place ... unless of course youre buying lots of places ... but then you have to deal with them all

Advice worth considering.   Friends have often asked why we've never bought either a city or country home since we've visited France multiple times a year for over 25 years.     Owning a place would tie us to that place.    Now we stay throughout the country + big towns, enough to have local contacts and a sense of place without the responsibility of foreign ownership.    Probably more expensive in the long run, maybe not.    But never a regret.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#35 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

@Bonner - so I'm rockin' Sticky Notes right now on the beach in Spain ... and Josh does NOT like Wagner !

Not at all and we're talking just from a musical perspective.

The bikini girls are getting pissed cuz i'm in my own little AirPodded private Idaho so I'm now trying to teach these native French speakers how to pronounce this German nazi's name ... and it ain't easy given the history and all.

So listen in !

@barely_clothed_bikini_girls - What are those ? Out there, in the water, with all that white foam !

bcbg to chambo - C'est les vagues, Chambo. We know we're dumb, but we're not THAT dumb ! 

bcbg to chambo - And we are very happy just the way we are, Chambo !

[they are now sticking out their barely-covered chest and flaunting all their round regions]

@barely_clothed_bikini_girls - #metoo. Now repeat after me ... vague-ner ... what was that ? ... again, vague-ner ... I think she's got it I think she's got it ... again, vague-ner ... By George, you've got it ! By George, you've got it !

It happened just like this, Bonner, only a lot less clothes, a lot more flesh, an overload of curvy parts, I had an iPhone on my head not a newspaper, and we were outside on a sunny, awesome beach not inside some dark, Victorian hellhole

And just to clarify ... Praia Da Lanzada is NOT on the plain or in the plane ... it's on the coast in Galicia !

And you know what that means for next 10 days ... yep, no rain !

I was going to give you the Sanxenxo situation in celsius but I didn't want you freaking out so here's fahrenheit ...

https://weather.com/...l/SPXX0814:1:SP

I plan on munching on some monster mariscos in the very near future ... donc dBerto demain.

Chambo goes to O Grove, once again, to pow-wow with Alberto. Olé !

#36 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:29 PM

Chambo - champ - buddy - killer.

Where should I base myself for a week mit kinder? 

Mrs. B says a pool is a non-negotiable, but doesn't need to be super beach adjacent but a reasonable drive to a swimmable beach would be nice..  Would like to have a few dining options near at hand - both kid and non-kid friendly.

Thoughts? (not just Chambo obvs)

#37 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:48 PM

I know the hotel options in Galicia.

Before I bother to mention any of them, are you indeed looking for hotel options ?

Because if you are in search of an apartment / Airbnb thang, then let’s save me the writing and you the reading about hotels.

And for a week (or 5/6 days just in case you were convinced you hang in Asturias for a bit), I may very well be advising staying in 2 different locations. As unappealing as having to switch locales may sound (ie an extra pack and unpack), it does give you much better / easier access to various interesting places.

I’m making an assumption that each day (or most days) you would want to hop in the car and spend the day exploring the surroundings ... do you expect that to be the case ? If not, advise accordingly ... 

#38 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

I am indeed looking for an Airbnb. Probably mostly exploring, but the occasional lazy day.