44 replies to this topic

#31 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,606 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:07 PM

have you considered toledo? very close to lake erie.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#32 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,682 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:23 PM

I'm nervous about being able to sell something rural not near the beach. Not that I'm viewing this as something to sell, but if someone needs to sell it's not for a good reason.

oh, you're not selling it, think of it as a cheap long term lease.

The less seasonal coastal stuff isn't priced well, predictably. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#33 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:52 PM

have you considered toledo? very close to lake erie.

pronounced to-ley-do.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#34 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:18 AM

I can layout many awesome 2week trips but theyll vary based upon where you want and dont want to go. Theres no fixed one route that must be taken. When you truly decide to make the trip, tell me. And dates matter

No need to know Gallego. They all speak fine Spanish. Teach them Spanish. And dont skimp on the classics either, Bonner !

Just so happens that friends here are selling a place on the water with awesome ria views right this second. I was at their place last week cooking up bogavante that I bought at the Bueu market (Praza De Abastos De Bueu to be exact ... the only nearby mercado de pescado / marisco open la tarde (aka late afternoon / early eve). Market was kind of lame, for Galicia, but I snagged some buggers and some excellent almejas (the wife whos Norwegian is an awesome cook and made a crazy good marinera sauce for thé almejas ... marinera is a Galician thing so DONT think about Italy). Prices from an East Coast USA perspective are INSANELY cheap. They have been trying to sell this place for 5 years ... along with 5 other places they have in various parts of Galicia. Hard to recommend buying unless you actually plan to use it a bunch ... and then when you buy you feel that you MUST use it and hence you keep going back to the same place ... unless of course youre buying lots of places ... but then you have to deal with them all

Advice worth considering.   Friends have often asked why we've never bought either a city or country home since we've visited France multiple times a year for over 25 years.     Owning a place would tie us to that place.    Now we stay throughout the country + big towns, enough to have local contacts and a sense of place without the responsibility of foreign ownership.    Probably more expensive in the long run, maybe not.    But never a regret.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#35 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

@Bonner - so I'm rockin' Sticky Notes right now on the beach in Spain ... and Josh does NOT like Wagner !

Not at all and we're talking just from a musical perspective.

The bikini girls are getting pissed cuz i'm in my own little AirPodded private Idaho so I'm now trying to teach these native French speakers how to pronounce this German nazi's name ... and it ain't easy given the history and all.

So listen in !

@barely_clothed_bikini_girls - What are those ? Out there, in the water, with all that white foam !

bcbg to chambo - C'est les vagues, Chambo. We know we're dumb, but we're not THAT dumb ! 

bcbg to chambo - And we are very happy just the way we are, Chambo !

[they are now sticking out their barely-covered chest and flaunting all their round regions]

@barely_clothed_bikini_girls - #metoo. Now repeat after me ... vague-ner ... what was that ? ... again, vague-ner ... I think she's got it I think she's got it ... again, vague-ner ... By George, you've got it ! By George, you've got it !

It happened just like this, Bonner, only a lot less clothes, a lot more flesh, an overload of curvy parts, I had an iPhone on my head not a newspaper, and we were outside on a sunny, awesome beach not inside some dark, Victorian hellhole

And just to clarify ... Praia Da Lanzada is NOT on the plain or in the plane ... it's on the coast in Galicia !

And you know what that means for next 10 days ... yep, no rain !

I was going to give you the Sanxenxo situation in celsius but I didn't want you freaking out so here's fahrenheit ...

https://weather.com/...l/SPXX0814:1:SP

I plan on munching on some monster mariscos in the very near future ... donc dBerto demain.

Chambo goes to O Grove, once again, to pow-wow with Alberto. Olé !

#36 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:29 PM

Chambo - champ - buddy - killer.

Where should I base myself for a week mit kinder? 

Mrs. B says a pool is a non-negotiable, but doesn't need to be super beach adjacent but a reasonable drive to a swimmable beach would be nice..  Would like to have a few dining options near at hand - both kid and non-kid friendly.

Thoughts? (not just Chambo obvs)

#37 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:48 PM

I know the hotel options in Galicia.

Before I bother to mention any of them, are you indeed looking for hotel options ?

Because if you are in search of an apartment / Airbnb thang, then let’s save me the writing and you the reading about hotels.

And for a week (or 5/6 days just in case you were convinced you hang in Asturias for a bit), I may very well be advising staying in 2 different locations. As unappealing as having to switch locales may sound (ie an extra pack and unpack), it does give you much better / easier access to various interesting places.

I’m making an assumption that each day (or most days) you would want to hop in the car and spend the day exploring the surroundings ... do you expect that to be the case ? If not, advise accordingly ... 

#38 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

I am indeed looking for an Airbnb. Probably mostly exploring, but the occasional lazy day.

#39 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

You going to Galicia and/or Asturias, Bonner ? If so, where exactly ...

#40 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 01:38 PM

Three days based in Luces and 6 days at a house we rented a bit northeast of Pontevedra.

Rental house availability was tough booking so late.

#41 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 04:07 PM

If you are staying at the Palacio de Luces and didn't book it non-refundable then go check out the rates on hotels.com right now. 

Crazy cheap ... like half the price of their web-site ... which in prior years was never the case and why I always booked directly with the hotel and for years they were giving me pretty awesome pricing, effectively grandfathering me an old price associated with a old promotion that I had from > 5 years back and never raising my price at all. You gotta love Spain !

Supposedly the ownership changed since last summer. They were unwilling to continue my sweetheart deal (when I sent them my annual email saying that their most loyal customer was considering returning again) and offered me a new price via email ... a giant increase and, most pathetically, they offered this longtime, loyal customer an even HIGHER price than if I simply booked as a stranger on their website. So naturally I booked as a stranger on their website (free cancel, of course) and told them that I preferred that lower price :-) They profusely apologized, said they made a mistake (which they didn't ... they were just trying to hose me), that they were going to talk to the mgr on Monday blah blah blah and when they finally got back to me they said that the very best they could do is what I received by booking as a stranger. Fine, whatever, so loyalty means squat nowadays.

A week later or so, I was making some additional Spanish ressies and just for kicks, I rechecked the Palacio's rates on hotels.com. The prices were cut in half* and still are, best I can tell. It's got to be a mistake because these prices don't make sense ... so naturally I happily re-booked at these nonsensical prices. Ka-Ching ! 

* granted the new price is w/o breakfast and you're probably going to want to have breakfast here but still the prices make no sense for this type of place

So 3 days in Luces, what to do what to do ...

1) Lunch Gueyu Mar, playa de Vega before / after, go check out Ribadesella and buy some stuff at Aramburu

2) Head to mountains, spectacular views at Mirador de Fitu, continue to Cangis de Onis, take selfies on the Puente Romano

On days 1 and 2, sneak in the Jurassic Museum of Asturias and the Faro de Luces (aka Faro de Lastres). Also you definitely want to check out the village of Lastres, both the upper and lower levels of it.

3) Drive in the morning to Faro de Cabo Peñas, check out the landscape. Backtrack to Gijon, check out the lovely seaside town. Nice nibbles and glasses of wine at Coalla Gourmet while standing (there's a few stools too) and buy lots of Galician wine (and lots of other stuff too !) to take with you to Galicia ... cuz you want to arrive in Galician with plenty of wine ... am I not right ?

4) Go to Oviedo and enjoy that charming town ... both Aramburu and Coalla Gourmet are located here, about 50 meters from each other. Competition in action ! Both stores are very good.

5) Just a total chill-out beach it day. Playa de la Griega is the closest beach to you and it's pretty nice and that convenience may be most important factor with the little ones but there are other tremendous beaches along the entire Asturian coast. 

6) Lunch in Tazones with beach before / after ... like Playa España, Villaviciosa

7) Go to Llanes, check out the lovely town and port area, def do the Paseo de San Pedro walk which is totally fab ! Heading to or returning from Llanes, check out Mirador Torimbia which overlooks the fabulous Playa Torimbia. A truly tremendous beach but it's a serious (40 minute-ish) hike down to and up from the beach (a wonderful hike ... not a drudgery at all) and hence I can't recommend it with the little ones being still so little. Hence the nearby Playa de San Antolin doesn't suck either.

Oh wait, you only got 3 days ... hmmmmmm that's a problem cuz I had at least another 3 days of stuff to add ...

But I gotta meet some people and drink some beers now in this 100 degree heatwave hell-hole that they call Paris .... ugggggh

Galicia details at some later point when I have some time ...

To tailor my Galicia feedback, what village are you staying in and are there things / places that you already know you plan to visit. The more you provide, the better I can optimize my response ... and when are you going ?

#42 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

So we know we need to go to Santiago de Compostella (the missus is what we refer to in the biz as "Super catholic") and we'll probably visit the aquarium like thing in O Grove.

We have D'berto booked just the wife and I.  Looking for other places with kids. Have Abastos 2.0 on my list. This place Fogar do Santiso maybe interesting?  

If I do a chuleton I'm likely to prepare that at home if I can find a good meat purveyor.

I was actually able to change to a place in Poio. We'll be there first week of August

#43 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:19 PM

Assuming you are equally satisfied with the bricks and mortar in Poio then that is a very good move vs O Berberote.

I don’t know O Berb from a hole in the wall (and there’s probably not a very big difference, quite frankly) but O Berb is not the burbs of Pontevedra … but more like the boonies. I don’t know of anything interesting whatsoever in the chunk of geography that is 15 to 45 minutes east of Pontevedra and O Berb would have effectively added 20 minutes in each direction onto almost anywhere that you would want to be going … which isn’t the end of the world of course … but if you are going to do some fun routes that are already multiple hours of driving round-trip then it’s surely a nice savings to be based in Poio.

TL;DR Nice geo-swap, Bonner !

I hear you loud and clear that d’Berto is on the menu for you and the Super C and you’d be preaching to the choir in telling sweet little Chambo that d’Berto is considered the cathedral for colossal crustaceans.

That said, one of the only restaurants in all of Galicia that definitely requires a well in advance reservation in the summer is Culler de Pao and I wouldn’t be mentioning it if I didn’t think it was seriously worth considering ... since it's probably the best gastro resto in Galicia … but it is a totally different type of place vis-à-vis d’Berto.

Culler de Pao is an imposed tasting menu gastronomic resto using Galician products in creative, intelligent ways with an excellent Spanish wine list. There is a very talented chef in the kitchen who uses top quality product to compose interesting plates that aim for deliciousness. This is an excellent restaurant with true Michelin level service. Tables have plenty of space between them and lovely views out onto the Ria de Arousa and beyond and these views are so pleasant that I always opt to go for lunch. I would not bring little ones here. If this sounds remotely of interest, reserve now before it's too late … you can always cancel.

TL;DR Get a ressie at Culler de Pao just in case, Bonner !

D’Berto is a pure products a la carte place that is relatively high-volume with a nice casual-elegant vibe a la Gallego. Alberto buys the best quality (and biggest) mariscos that is available because he is willing (and his clients are willing) to pay the necessary price for it. His sister is in the kitchen. She’s a cook not a chef. That’s not an insult nor a problem … it’s just a fact. She knows how to cook all mariscos and she does a reasonable job with pescados but there is no chef-iness whatsoever going on here. That’s not an insult (nor is there any need for chef-iness with mariscos) … it’s just helping you to (better) understand what the place is about. Think O'Pazo in Madrid but with ONLY Galician product ie you won't find gamba roja or carabineros since these O'Pazo menu items are NOT from Galicia but you'll often have camarones on the menu which are indeed local. The wine list is acceptable but not especially good as it is poorly curated with lots of average Galician producers along with a few of the good ones interspersed within, which means it’s easy to go wrong if you don’t know these wines well … and buying “expensive” doesn’t necessarily result in success … note that the excellent options should only cost between the mid 20s and low 40s of euros ... but don't worry for the resto because their money is made with mariscos.

I’ll address Santiago and your many other options for day trips as and when I have time … stay tuned … info should come slowly but surely …

#44 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 06:48 PM

Santiago de Compostela

Since it’s just going to be a day trip, Bonner, and you’ve been to the city center before, I’ll focus my feedback accordingly and assume your only meal is lunch.

I’ll note for the record that for two or three years in a row the façade of the Cathedral was substantially covered up from head to toe with scaffolding. That was a bit annoying, to be honest. However last summer, the scaffolding was all gone, the renovation was done and the full façade in all her glory was there for all to see. TL;DR Good timing, Bonner !

First, on your way to Santiago …

Pazo de Oca. If you appreciate beautiful gardens and are willing to do a modest detour on your way to Santiago, I would strongly recommend a look-see at this country manor house. The main event is strolling through the extensive and very impressive gardens. I spent longer than an hour here but I think if you plan for a one hour visit and then head to Santiago that it would be well worth it … assuming you like gardens of course.

I’ll note for the record that as you continue on to Santiago you’ll pass very near the Pazo de Santa Cruz de Rivadulla. I have wanted to visit this place but alas I have not. I’m not recommending a visit after Pazo de Oca but if you went to Pazo de Oca and it was closed for who knows what reason, before you start cursing my name, go check out this backup option. I’ll simply note that it is always a good idea to call any such places in advance to verify that they are open and what their hours are on any given day … because you never know when there might be some unexpected holiday or festa that might interfere with your perfectly planned excursions.

For lunch, I think your best options would be as follows …

Abastos 2.0. A perfectly fine lunch choice. As you probably know, there is the casual tapas side with some outdoor seating AND across the way there is the semi-gastro restaurant with normal table seating inside. You want the tapas side with the little ones, I presume.

Lume. This is a new place that I haven’t been to that is located right near Abastos 2.0. I heard it’s pretty good so take a peek and see what you think. As you know, it's good to have nearby backups !

Casa Marcelo. As a Galician take on the Momofuku concept, this is a reasonably successful and fun place. I would recommend this if you wanted food that was a bit more creative than the Abastos tapas. There is seating at the counter where food is being prepared. There is also a long communal table and there may be some other seating. If you are interested, you need to ask them re seating for your group … if they could put you at the communal table with a baby chair at the short end, that might work … Once again, fun place, good energy and you’d probably like it a lot. No ressies for small groups though but inquire and see what they propose.

For additional food activities …

Bico de Xeado. A very good ice cream place. Also located in Baiona, Coruna, etc. Kids like ice cream, right ???

Concepción Valladares. This slightly haphazard “grocery store” has a decent selection of tinned products, canned olives, pimientos and some cheeses / charcuterie in the back but is actually an excellent wine store for Galician (and some Rioja) wines. Very good gin prices too. Although the placs looks dated / old-fashion and bottles can seem randomly strewn about, they have an excellent selection of the best Galician producers at excellent prices. Their Cecina de Leon is usually very good and they can machine slice it for you. Ask for a taste (they speak ZERO English, by the way) to verify and then buy more than you think you want cuz it just seems to go quickly. And Cecina shouldn’t be eaten without some old manchego, but you already know that. In fact, if you are in a jam after a full day in Santiago, this place could be your rescue option for provisions for a simple but good dinner upon return home. Last summer, their hours were Mon-Fri 9h-15h, 17h30-21h30 but I’d re-confirm.

Naturcoffee. Kids like ice cream but dads prefer iced coffee in the summer heat, right ??? If you go to Valladares, you’ll walk right past this place. No cold brew served here but I have had good enough success on multiple occasoins with an espresso doble in a cup filled with ice for 1.70 euros. (That said, when I look at the pics on Google Maps, the drinks shown look horrific (ie sickly sweet) but this actually seemed like a relatively serious (for Galicia) coffee shop hence I’m mildly confused by all these pics … ie has the place changed ?)

For additional cultural activities outside the city center … which you may not have time for during a one-day visit …

Cidade da Cultura de Galicia. This is an interesting, contemporary cultural center complex located 15 minutes by car outside the city center. Fun, modern architecture. Usually some interesting exhibitions in the spacious series of rooms. Plenty of parking so it’s easy to drive to and just park.

Church of Santa María a Real do Sar. If you were going to the above cultural center from the city center then you will pass right by this 12th century Romanesque church … with very thick flying buttresses (which were added centuries later, to prevent its collapse). Chambo likes old buildings … maybe you do too or maybe you don’t …. but Chambo says that it’s worth the quick detour (15 minutes could do it) that it would take to stop and slowly walk around (and quickly in) this modest-sized church … and then, at your leisure, reflect upon the different sizes and shapes of buttresses and about the absolute elegance, délicatesse, finesse and beauty of the buttresses of Notre Dame de Paris … that other 12th century structure, that other Cathedral, that other House of God that is only really rivaled by the home of the Holy See among the great buildings of Christianity

#45 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,168 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:35 AM

Thanks chambo