60 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:49 PM

Omnivorette's and Orik's exchange on falafel reminded me of the incredible range of spices available to people in the NY metro.

recently, I had the occasion to visit Kalustyan's to restock my chile supplies. They must have a hundred different varieties of chile berries, dried powder, Mexican, Thai, Indian, Indonesian, etc. And, easily a thousand other spices. I usually grab one at random, take it home, and work with it.

This time I lucked out. Picked up zaa'tar, a Jordanian blend of peppers, thyme, sumac, ginger, etc. It's been a wonderful coating for grilled hamburgers and fish, delivering wonderful pinpricks of flavor to the tongue. I had some last night on a thick, lightly oiled tuna steak.

I'm sure other cultures in the area have their custom blends of this product, I may need to sample them, as well.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,956 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 11:22 PM

Kalustyan is a great shop. The kind of place where I always end up spending ten times as much as I intended...

By the way, the herb in Za'atar is not (supposed to be) precisely thyme, but some mixture of wild herbs - Holy Hyssop - this used to be the main ingredient, but due to over harvesting its availability is limited (in Israel it is protected and available only from farming), Wild Thyme and Thyme flavored savory.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:54 PM

Spent an hour at Kalustyan's today - just a marvelous store. We went upstairs for a "snack" - very nice.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#4 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:29 PM

They currently have raw almonds.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 02:31 PM

Has anyone visited Kalustyan's restaurant yet? It's about 100 feet south, on the corner.

Price looked fine by midtown standards, as I recall, but perhaps a shade high for the area. Brunch for $17 sticks in mind, most entrees in the $25 range.

#6 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 05:26 PM

Has anyone noticed that the counter man upstairs is an uncanny dead ringer for Slapsie Maxie?

#7 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 05:32 PM

Ears?

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#8 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 05:38 PM

The whole face and manner, really. Also lots of "you HAVE to try this, you'll love it" .. :D

#9 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 05:42 PM

Tongue?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#10 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 05:43 PM

He kept it in his mouth, thankfully but I'm quite sure he had one.

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:25 PM

<withdrawn>

Edited by Rail Paul, 16 November 2004 - 08:39 PM.

#12 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 10:14 PM

The Daily News has a recipe for Kalustyan's Chicken with 1001 Nuts sauce. It looks like a complex recipe, but some bitter marmalade could prob knock out 3-4 ingredients, right off the top.

1001 Nuts Sauce

#13 Amin

Amin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 08:36 AM

The Daily News has a recipe for Kalustyan's Chicken with 1001 Nuts sauce. 1001 Nuts Sauce

In the recipe, it says at the very bottom:
Note to the cook
Turkish peppers: Aleppo pepper is a sweet-spicy red pepper; urfa-biber is darker
and smokey. Use them in place of paprika for a more complex flavor. They're
available at gourmet specialty shops such as Kalustyan's, 123 Lexington Ave.
Isabel Forgang

Aleppo pepper (if it originates from Aleppo) is Syrian pepper (and not Turkish),
however if it is being recommended to substitue aleppo pepper with ''urfa-biber''
(hav'nt a clue as to what urfa-biber is), then perhaps this may be the Turkish
alternative to Aleppo pepper ?

opinion please ?

#14 Vanessa

Vanessa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:06 AM

Turkish food shops in London (e.g. Haringey, Dalston, Lewisham off the top of my head) carry urfa biber. I've always thought that 'Aleppo pepper' is just the fancy name (first come across chez Wolfert in my experience) for those Turkish red pepper flakes, usually in big bags, that you get in the same shops and is always just called Biber (Turkish for pepper) or some such. My packet of Aleppo pepper from Penzey's (courtesy of Abby) is the same as the stuff I have from UK shops, though perhaps better quality.

I don't see why the term 'Aleppo' means the stuff has to come from Syria. Perhaps that type of pepper just originated from there years ago. It's a bit like saying cayenne peppers have to come from Cayenne or whatever.

v
...it actually comes down to what thrills you - Hugh Johnson

authenticity is a fog that recedes just when you think you may be getting near it - R Schonfeld

The most political act we do on a daily basis is to eat - Prof J Pretty

this city without boundaries we all share - zigzackly

#15 Amin

Amin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 11:50 AM

I've always thought that 'Aleppo pepper' is just the fancy name (first come across chez Wolfert in my experience) for those Turkish red pepper flakes, usually in big bags, that you get in the same shops and is always just called Biber (Turkish for pepper) or some such.

Hello Vanessa, interesting stuff. Googling brought the following results:

Aleppo Pepper: Result-1 www.worldspice.com/cart.htm gives its latin name as
Capsicum Annuum, also known as Near East pepper, describing it as: ''Sweet and
sharp chile from the Aleppo region of Syria, with moderate heat that doesn't
overpower it's fruity flavor. Some Indian dishes use only this chile as a seasoning
because the complexity can stand alone.''

Result-2: Penzeys (http://www.penzeys.c...-bin/penzeys/p-
penzeysaleppopepper.htm) describes as: ''This Turkish crushed chili has an
ancho-like flavor with a little more heat and tartness. Put a jar right on the table
and shake on pizza, subs and salads. Aleppo Pepper is great on grilled meats like
chicken breast, steak, chops and our flavorful, easy Turkish Kabobs. Aleppo Pepper
also makes an attractive sprinkle for potato, chicken and tuna salad and deviled
eggs too. Try mixing Aleppo Pepper with our Greek Seasoning for flavourful roast
chicken, tasty pork chops, and robust salads. Aleppo Pepper is also known as
halaby pepper.''

Result-3: (This one in my view gives greater in-depth detail's and may explain why
it is referred to as ''Turkish Pepper'' -Reason probably being that it is close to
Syria's border with Turkey and that possibly the closest port of shipment must be
from Turkey, hence the origin has been switched to Turkish (this is my feeling).
Another reason for this may be due to certain ''restrictions'' in-force due to which
perhaps Syrian pepper is being 'dressed'' in Turkish clothes (Imagine buying a
Havan cigar from UK and calling it a Churchillian cigar).

http://shop.store.ya...eppopepper.html
The Aleppo pepper is a dark red, robust pepper grown in the area around Halab in
Northwestern Syria just south the Turkish border – Halab was known as Aleppo
during the Middle ages. With a high oil content this dried and crushed red pepper
has a deliciously deep, aromatic flavor. With a bit more heat than paprika it is truly
a versatile ingredient in the kitchen and at the table. It is delicious in chili, meat
loaf, and sauces, or anywhere paprika is called for. It is great on grilled meats like
chicken breast, steak, and chops. Aleppo Pepper also makes an attractive sprinkle
for potato, chicken and tuna salad and deviled eggs too. In Syria it is used for
many dishes, especially soups, salads, and fish.