peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Oct 31 2009, 02:42 PM) View Post
gluten free pancakes, today. meh

Splink, the best advice I can give you right now is to just avoid all baked goods right now, especially the gluten free ones. I know it's hard, believe me...but I managed to go a couple of months with nothing except brown rice pasta and quejos as the only things even slightly resembling gluten. And even then it was only after a month and a half.

The hardest thing is getting over the cravings, but you will. I feel a lot less stabby when someone starts talking about a fresh baked lemon yogurt cake. It takes time and patience, and if you just can't stand it anymore, have the cookie and hust see what happens.

#32 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(peppyre @ Oct 31 2009, 06:16 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Oct 31 2009, 02:42 PM) View Post
gluten free pancakes, today. meh

Splink, the best advice I can give you right now is to just avoid all baked goods right now, especially the gluten free ones. I know it's hard, believe me...but I managed to go a couple of months with nothing except brown rice pasta and quejos as the only things even slightly resembling gluten. And even then it was only after a month and a half.

The hardest thing is getting over the cravings, but you will. I feel a lot less stabby when someone starts talking about a fresh baked lemon yogurt cake. It takes time and patience, and if you just can't stand it anymore, have the cookie and hust see what happens.

i hear you peppyre, they were unsatisfying enough to put me off for a while. i'll find other things to eat, i guess

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#33 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:55 PM

If cornstarch is OK, and you crave fried chicken or other coated fried meats, use cornstarch or a combination of cornstarch and rice flour. (just rice flour might be OK, too, but I've never tried it). I usually do pan-fried lemon chicken with just cornstarch, and it's really good (it's best if you can fry it fully in the pan, but I usually brown it, then finish it in the oven. It's not as crispy, but it's still pretty good).

Anyone want to try my recipe for mango pudding? It's gluten-free, I think. (It only has mango pulp, gelatin, sugar, and cream and/or milk--those are all gluten-free, aren't they?) And you can use other fruit purees instead of mango if you prefer. Good rich mango pudding can make up for a lot of mediocre baked goods!

Ling (aka Lorna) has done some gluten-free baking on her site. She and Gluten-Free Girl became friends, so Ling does a lot of experimenting. I don't think she would promote crappy tasting sweets, even if she were the one who made them, so I think they'd be worth a try. The recipes might be cross-posted on Gluten-Free Girl, so if you read that blog, you'll probably have seen them.

#34 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

allergic to mango. :-(

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#35 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE(prasantrin @ Oct 31 2009, 03:55 PM) View Post
Ling (aka Lorna) has done some gluten-free baking on her site. She and Gluten-Free Girl became friends, so Ling does a lot of experimenting. I don't think she would promote crappy tasting sweets, even if she were the one who made them, so I think they'd be worth a try. The recipes might be cross-posted on Gluten-Free Girl, so if you read that blog, you'll probably have seen them.

That would be here:
sticky buns

and here:
birthday cake

and one more:
butter tarts

#36 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:43 AM

mrs p's father has serious celiac disease so i know a little about this, but not much.
they have a bread machine -- it does a decent job with gluten free flours & it's cheap and easy.

man, i need a headache

#37 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

made a cherrybrook kitchen gluten free chocolate cake today. i didn't actually follow the directions, but it was better than bad. i used butter instead of a neutral oil. next time i may use milk instead of water. who knows an egg may find it's way in there. the alternative flours seem to have the right fineness of grind but don't get soft enough in the baking. i think the addition of milk and/or egg may help with this. once i figure this out i will start to tinker with making cake from scratch.

next up mac and cheese. can anybody recommend a nice brand of brown rice macaroni?

~Jack Handey

#38 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Nov 3 2009, 05:29 PM) View Post
made a cherrybrook kitchen gluten free chocolate cake today. i didn't actually follow the directions, but it was better than bad. i used butter instead of a neutral oil. next time i may use milk instead of water. who knows an egg may find it's way in there. the alternative flours seem to have the right fineness of grind but don't get soft enough in the baking. i think the addition of milk and/or egg may help with this. once i figure this out i will start to tinker with making cake from scratch.

There are many good flourless chocolate cake recipes out there... lotsa eggs and creamy chocolately goodness.

AFAIAA, nice brand of brown rice macaroni is an oxymoron but I will see what I can find out.
“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#39 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE(flyfish @ Nov 3 2009, 05:36 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Nov 3 2009, 05:29 PM) View Post

There are many good flourless chocolate cake recipes out there... lotsa eggs and creamy chocolately goodness.

AFAIAA, nice brand of brown rice macaroni is an oxymoron but I will see what I can find out.

i have loads of flourless chocolate cake recipes, thanks. sometimes i just want that poundcakey thing. i'm in experimental mode right now, so i'm happy to try stuff. eventually, i will give up and become a fruitatarian or something.

~Jack Handey

#40 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE(splinky @ Nov 3 2009, 06:01 PM) View Post
i have loads of flourless chocolate cake recipes, thanks. sometimes i just want that poundcakey thing. i'm in experimental mode right now, so i'm happy to try stuff. eventually, i will give up and become a fruitatarian or something.

One cook book I looked at a few years ago went on and on about garfava (garbanzo and fava) flour as having superior qualities to the other GF flours and blends (although some don't like the slightly "beany" aftertaste). Can't remember the name of the book or the author but it wasn't Bette Hagman, who is the doyenne of GF baking (her GF Gourmet books are worth a look). It also wasn't The Gluten-Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg, another fairly reliable source.

I have heard good things about the GF flours and mixes of Authentic Foods but have no personal experience with them.
Neil Innes

My mom

Captain Hammer

#41 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE(flyfish @ Nov 3 2009, 07:04 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Nov 3 2009, 06:01 PM) View Post

One cook book I looked at a few years ago went on and on about garfava (garbanzo and fava) flour as having superior qualities to the other GF flours and blends (although some don't like the slightly "beany" aftertaste). Can't remember the name of the book or the author but it wasn't Bette Hagman, who is the doyenne of GF baking (her GF Gourmet books are worth a look). It also wasn't The Gluten-Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg, another fairly reliable source.

I have heard good things about the GF flours and mixes of Authentic Foods but have no personal experience with them.

bob's red mill does the garbanzo/fava combo. i've read that it tastes fine if you have other strongly flavored add ins. i think it's the mix that babycakes bakery here in nyc uses

~Jack Handey

#42 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE(splinky @ Nov 3 2009, 02:29 PM) View Post

next up mac and cheese. can anybody recommend a nice brand of brown rice macaroni?

My favorite happens to be the Trader Joes brand and if I can't get that, the one that Whole Foods has in their bulk section is really good. There is a brand here (and we only have the option of 2 brands up here...need to get my dad into importing some new products) that has a bunny on the label. They have a couple of choices but the one with the Rice Bran included is awful. AWFUL! It's mushy and tastes like you are eating sawdust at the same time. The other ones taste exactly like pasta, in fact, I had pasta for dinner last night and lunch/breakfast today.

#43 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,785 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE(peppyre @ Nov 3 2009, 08:54 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Nov 3 2009, 02:29 PM) View Post

My favorite happens to be the Trader Joes brand and if I can't get that, the one that Whole Foods has in their bulk section is really good. There is a brand here (and we only have the option of 2 brands up here...need to get my dad into importing some new products) that has a bunny on the label. They have a couple of choices but the one with the Rice Bran included is awful. AWFUL! It's mushy and tastes like you are eating sawdust at the same time. The other ones taste exactly like pasta, in fact, I had pasta for dinner last night and lunch/breakfast today.

please let me know the brand name of the one with the bunny, when you get a chance. thanks
which american brands do you want to try?

~Jack Handey

#44 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:29 AM

Is it this brand, peppyre?

http://tinkyada.com/

Neil Innes

My mom

Captain Hammer

#45 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE(flyfish @ Nov 3 2009, 06:29 PM) View Post
Is it this brand, peppyre?

http://tinkyada.com/

That would be the one. I personally would avoid it if you can. I really have no choice, since there are very few options here unless I stock up when i go down to Trader Joe's. I have also in the past tried the corn pasta, which was horrid and I recommend avoiding.

If you are looking for sausages, smokey's, salami's etc, Freybe Meats has been certified Gluten Free by the Celiac Society, so that's an option as well.